Sign in to follow this  
foz75

Hotshot rear gearbox problem

I hope this is the right section to post this, please move if not

I started my hotshot build last night. Rear gearbox is now built and motor attached. But I had to leave out the right hand side e-clip from the outdrive. With this in, the two sides of the case would not close correctly, and when I tried tightening them down, the diff would bind and act like it was locked.

Without the e-clip, the case closes correctly, everything turns smoothly, and the diff works correctly. The only catch is that the right outdrive is not held into the gearbox and can fall out

I'm assuming this won't be a problem when everything is built, as the dogbone will keep it in place? Can anyone confirm, before I get further into the build?

No, you've done something wrong there. Check the bearings are pushed all the way into the gearbox housings, and that the diff bevel gears are the right way around.

the bevel gears are definitely in the right way, they can't be put in the wrong way round. Will check that the bearings are seated properly (again!)

OK, I've had the gearbox apart, checked the bearings, and really given them a good knock as hard as I dare to make sure they're seated. There's a very slight improvement, but the diff is still nowhere near as free as it should be.  The front is fine.  I could file a tiny amount from the bevel wheel axle "stub" which should fix it.

So my next question is, does it really matter if the outdrive e-clip is installed or not?  The ones in my blitzer beetle are just pushed in. They are not as loose as the ones on the hotshot, but are not held in by any sort of clip, etc.  i can only see it being a problem if a dogbone pops out while driving?

The rear diff is a little tighter than the front one for some reason. That maybe by design to make it handle in a particular way, or it may not. Tamiya tollerences are pretty accurate and consistent, so I would expect the former.

The diffs will bed in with use.

I would think it would matter if you didn't fit the e-clip, otherwise why include it in the kit?

Well that's what I thought about the e-clip, but once the whole rear end is put together, I can't see the outdrive falling out 

The rear diff is tighter than the front, but also the two sides of the gearbox don't fit together 100% with both e-clips in place, it will tighten up so there are no gaps, but then the diff doesn't work...  will keep investigating - next step is to use aftermarket bearings instead of the kit bearings, maybe they're just a little thinner and will let everything work. If not, I think I will build without the e-clip and see how it goes. Either way if I have to strip it all down again it's annoying, but at least without the e-clip nothing is binding or locking the gears together and they all turn freely