Heliwilly

Honda CB750 Racer

As the kit is one of the original kits 0603, the pieces are all ove 40 years old. So far the plastic seems OK and sticking well, using the Tamiya cement. The problem is the decals. They are that old the white background has yellowed. I tried to put one on the front mudguard. I cut it out and put it in a saucer of water . It curled up as I would expect, but when it unfurled the actual decal was split in several places so was unusable.I tried some of the others and the larger number decals survived but the thin attached ones didn’t. Even when I cut out the second number decal and just used the number and applied it to a flat surface. Despite the decal going on unbroken and looked perfect, when it dried out there was no adhesion and it fell off. 
Has anyone any idea wher I can get replacement decals from? I have a second kit to do from the last batch, 16003 and the decals in that kit look OK, but I would like to get new ones fo that as well.

Do you know of anyone who manufactures decals, either the waterslide type or thin sticky backed vinyl ones on a base sheet.

Bill W.

Edited by Heliwilly
Spelling mistake

I have almost finished the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin.  I have done the A paint scheme. I would also like to do the B paint scheme.
Does anyone have an unopened CRF1000L Africa Twin kit they would like to swap for the CB750 Racing Type I have that is unused.   
I replaced the decal set with a new set from RC Decals.
Thanks

Bill W.

F3FEC332-A919-458A-8178-592A43B35DAB.jpeg

On 11/7/2020 at 10:05 PM, Mokei Kagaku said:

It was released in November 1971 and discontinued in 1983. Apart from the factory built version (released in 2008), the model has not been re-released according to Tamiya's official records, "The Complete Works of Tamiya 1946-2015". I still won't completely exclude the possibility that there might have been short re-runs for the domestic market  since 1983.

The item number of your kit will define whether it's an original release or a (hypothetical) re-release.  The item numbers originally used for the 1/6 scale motorbike series was BS06??. This was replaced with 16?? in 1982 and again replaced with 16??? in 1987. So, if your kit has the item number BS0603, it's an original release. With 1603, manufactured between 1982 and 1987, and as 16003 manufactured after 1987. As mentioned above, it's pretty sure that the kit only exists as BS0603.

By the way, the normal road version of the CB750 was re-released in 2018.

Hi Mokei Kagaku,

I now have a second Tamiya Honda CB 750 Racing Type box number 16003. You say that  means it was manufactured after 1987. When was this model kit manufacture ended. Is there anyway of finding out when this kit was manufactured.

Thanks

Bill W.

On 1/23/2022 at 7:41 PM, Heliwilly said:

Hi Mokei Kagaku,

I now have a second Tamiya Honda CB 750 Racing Type box number 16003. You say that  means it was manufactured after 1987. When was this model kit manufacture ended. Is there anyway of finding out when this kit was manufactured.

Thanks

Bill W.

I've checked a little more, but I'm afraid I have no useful information. The regular CB750 (# 16001) was re-released in 2018 and the factory built version of 16003 (# 23210) was released in 2008. As 16001 and 16003 share a lot of parts, both the re-release of 16001 and release of 23210 were favourable oportunities for re-releasing 16003, but I haven't found any indications that Tamiya actually did that.

That said, Tamiya sometimes re-releases items for certain limited markets, but as 16003 isn't mentioned as ever re-released in "The Complete Works of Tamiya 1946-2015", my guess is that the kit you have was manufactured in 2015 or later (too recently to be covered by the book).  Unless "BS0603" is printed as the item number in the manual of your kit, it's likely updated with "16003". If so, the copyright year is most likely updated too. If so, that might give you an indication.

Hi Mokei Kagaku,

Thanks for the reply. Like you I couldn’t find any definitive information about  identifying any dating of the 16003 kits. I was just curious, but it isn’t anything of anycon ern.

Thanks for looking.

Bill W

•  
  • Members
  • 77 posts

I have source a supplier for waterslide decals for the above model. They can do a minimum run of 50 sheets. They will cost £400, so £8 a sheet. 
Would anyone be interested in a sheet? 
Please e-mail me at.   bill@worsley.karoo.co.uk

I have a few days to reply.

Would anyone know of a better page to display this request??

Thanks

Bill Worsley

Heliwilly