SupaGaz

CC-01 LANDFREEDER first run.

First run of the newly built landfreeder highlighted a few problems pretty much straight away.  
 The suspension is too hard. The wheels are too small and little grip from the tyres. ( running on grass ). 
 The track is too narrow. It rolls over for fun. 
The steering is sloppy and has a wide turning circle. 
 On the plus side the speed is good. 

The first port of call will be bigger wheels and tyres I think, and to widen the track  

Has anyone any recommended wheel/tyre combos?

cheers  Gaz  

65A69195-CE3C-481D-B33B-55DB6BAE6275.jpeg

• Like 1

Wasn't this for the wife? What does she think!?😁

😁 yes. For the wife. 
she hasn’t had one before, so I’m advising her based on my findings 👍

Well that’s one way of doing it😦

I was thinking more of just some softer springs and mushy tires 

I think I got the wheel size as 88mm. DF03 shocks? 

"Hopup vs Homebrew" is an outstanding article!! Well worth a look. @Mad Ax has taken a comprehensive look at improving the CC-01, with 2 Rigs. One using Aftermarket Parts, the other only using hand built solutions (hence the name). 

Many of us have messed with the CC-01, literally for DECADES. They have issues that just never go away... But SOME can be mitigated, and you can have a fine running Trail Truck!    I have competed and Won several Comp Crawling Events in the Western U.S. over the past 17 years. MAYBE I can add some input.

YES the Springs are ridiculously HARD, and provide practically NO Suspension movement! I once measured the tension of the stock CC-01 Springs at 4.9lbs./Inch!!! 😲  Your Rig would technically have to weigh over 20lbs., for the Shocks to work like a proper Crawler SHOULD.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152716511340 

Axial makes these 12.5x60mm Springs for the SCX10 One. 2.25lbs./Inch. They are the lower Springs in a piggyback Spring setup. They're about 12mm too long - but even compressed slightly, with no spacers, they're still 2X as soft as Tamiya, and offers that slight bit of droop when sat on the ground. As opposed to sitting HARD and topped out, barely moving over terrain. 😉

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392996963054 

These Axial Springs are 12.5x40mm. Slightly firmer, but an excellent fit. At 2.7lbs./Inch, STILL significantly softer than the Tamiya! The two above Springs are excellent in the Front, I have used both - plus some others.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174351432517 

I use these on the Rear Shocks on my CC-01 Landfreeder. They're 12.5x35mm, and need one of the mid sized Spacers... BUT at only 1.79lbs./Inch - they are PERFECT for the really light CC-01 Rearend, that doesn't have the best geometry in the first place!! 

At extreme Angles, or going over a tall object, I can get FULL compression of either of the Rear Dampers with those Springs! 😊  On any Scaler/Crawler setup, you WANT a slightly stiffer Front Spring (for weight bearing and better stability) - and the SOFTEST Springs that will just hold the Truck level in the Rear (for maximum Grip and Articulation).  ...... Those Rear Springs are coloured Red. If OCD sets in, you can either paint them Silver, or Paint the Front Springs Red. 😉  THIS will take LOUSY Suspension action out of the picture!! 

Of course you COULD go the route of "simply" fitting 90mm or 100mm Dampers... If you don't mind some creative cutting!  spacer.pngspacer.png

~  The Stock Steering is at best, my favorite British adjective - PANTS!!! 😖  There has been a few attempts at an Aluminum Steering Bellcrank Kit for the CC-01, all BAD to WORSE!! They're WEAK, the Bellcrank slots are entirely too small, eventually creating even MORE SLOP than the Stock Plastic Steering!! 😠  Believe me, I and many others before and since, have tried all of them. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132486625951 

THIS ONE, by Yeah Racing, is the only one that not only works, but doesn't degrade over time!! Priced the same or LESS than other inferior options. 

TIRES have been hotly debated for years! Personally, when I can afford to, I'm getting 1.55" Wheels and Tires. They look so much better on a CC01 sized Truck. Unless you're doing a late model Body, where a Scale 19" (1.9") Wheel would look more appropriate. 

Either way, on my Landfreeder, here is probably the MAXIMUM diameter Tires you'd want to use, 98mm.... spacer.png

spacer.png.... Showing off my Color Changing Paint Job! 😉  spacer.png..... Showing off my 23lb. Maine Coon, Gizmo!! 😊🐱

• Like 2

16 hours ago, taffer said:

You must have seen this?

That looks real. How much weight did he put in it????

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Busdriver said:

That looks real. How much weight did he put in it????

That does look like a solution!! These are too light, period. Looks like about 2lbs of Lead... I'll try it!

And I still think that 1.55s are more appropriate.

Made a start. I’ve ordered some 15mm spacers to widen the track too. 
lifted the body slightly to accommodate the bigger wheels. 
Drives better already just with the softer tyres. Had a good blast out on the local skate park yesterday. 

C43D5251-23F5-4DD9-B9D2-AB9AD0B08F9B.jpeg