Why me?

2.4G Tx/Rx’s

Apologies if this has been covered but I’m after a little advice. Being ‘old school’ ( or just old!) I’m only experienced with 27mhz radio gear, and swapping crystals etc. I have recently bought a car that has a 2.4g receiver in it, but I don’t have a transmitter with it. If I get hold of a 2.4 g transmitter, is it just a case of ‘pairing’ it, or is it not that simple?

1 minute ago, Why me? said:

Apologies if this has been covered but I’m after a little advice. Being ‘old school’ ( or just old!) I’m only experienced with 27mhz radio gear, and swapping crystals etc. I have recently bought a car that has a 2.4g receiver in it, but I don’t have a transmitter with it. If I get hold of a 2.4 g transmitter, is it just a case of ‘pairing’ it, or is it not that simple?

It’s not that simple. Post a pic of the receiver ? 

43 minutes ago, Why me? said:

F1CD4D7B-B354-4938-8FFB-F13C2B811701.jpeg

I believe that’s a very old receiver. Probably best to get a new cheap tx/rx set. 

34 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

I believe that’s a very old receiver. Probably best to get a new cheap tx/rx set. 

+1

Yes, @Why me? If you are old school like me (and to be fair, my kids too) we prefer sticks not wheels so take a look at the Futaba T2HR 2.4Ghz (FHSS) transmitters and Futaba R202GF receivers. You can actually get them as a set (Futaba 2HR) which saves you some money. The transmitter is very basic but very ergonomic, batteries last ages, has hidden servo reverses and even has a hidden throttle neutral position switcher (need to unscrew cover and flick a switch to engage it) which allows you to set the default position for the throttle to be 2:1 instead of 1:1 on the range, gives you a broader travel of the stick on forward throttle for finer control (similar to some very old 27Mhz sets like the old 1980's Acoms or Futaba sets.

We bought 3 complete sets earlier this year plus some additional receivers to convert all our cars to 2.4Ghz. They are fantastic, no issues at all and we've been using them almost every day for months. They are cheap and cheerful but do what you need. If you are used to 1980's style transmitters then you'll feel right at home with them.

The receivers are tiny and very lightweight which is good, no issue finding room for them in any car. 

We will never look back now, it is awesome being able to just turn on any car from our fleet and instantly control it from one transmitter (if required) without having to twit around with crystals. Also the range is incredible, the car remains in full control way beyond the ability for my eyes to see the damned thing. Also the ability to run loads of cars on the same track at the same time without even thinking about frequencies and crystals is refreshing and thoroughly enjoyable. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

+1

Yes, @Why me? If you are old school like me (and to be fair, my kids too) we prefer sticks not wheels so take a look at the Futaba T2HR 2.4Ghz (FHSS) transmitters and Futaba R202GF receivers. You can actually get them as a set (Futaba 2HR) which saves you some money. The transmitter is very basic but very ergonomic, batteries last ages, has hidden servo reverses and even has a hidden throttle neutral position switcher (need to unscrew cover and flick a switch to engage it) which allows you to set the default position for the throttle to be 2:1 instead of 1:1 on the range, gives you a broader travel of the stick on forward throttle for finer control (similar to some very old 27Mhz sets like the old 1980's Acoms or Futaba sets.

We bought 3 complete sets earlier this year plus some additional receivers to convert all our cars to 2.4Ghz. They are fantastic, no issues at all and we've been using them almost every day for months. They are cheap and cheerful but do what you need. If you are used to 1980's style transmitters then you'll feel right at home with them.

The receivers are tiny and very lightweight which is good, no issue finding room for them in any car. 

We will never look back now, it is awesome being able to just turn on any car from our fleet and instantly control it from one transmitter (if required) without having to twit around with crystals. Also the range is incredible, the car remains in full control way beyond the ability for my eyes to see the damned thing. Also the ability to run loads of cars on the same track at the same time without even thinking about frequencies and crystals is refreshing and thoroughly enjoyable. 

I have that same tx and it’s great 

3FCA4B80-5BDD-4746-AAE9-603DD49A3762.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks all for the advice. A friend has a spare 2.4g Tx that I was hoping to use, but if it’s not possible / straightforward I’ve got a spare 27mhz set so my easiest option will be to use that, if I can get this one out ( it looks to have been glued in!)

9 minutes ago, Why me? said:

Thanks all for the advice. A friend has a spare 2.4g Tx that I was hoping to use, but if it’s not possible / straightforward I’ve got a spare 27mhz set so my easiest option will be to use that, if I can get this one out ( it looks to have been glued in!)

From a quick google that receiver uses FHSS protocol - which means in theory it would actually work with a Futuba T2HR Transmitter. However I would not buy a new Tx just to run an old unknown receiver. Either bin it and swap in your 27Mhz stuff or buy a new 2.4Ghz TX and Rx. If your friends Tx is FHSS then it is worth a try though. ;)

Looking at the CR138 , which is seemingly the radio for that receiver (?), it looks remarkably similar to the CR151, which was an awesome ,full feature radio, EPA, throttle & steering curve adjustment, launch control and Adjustable ABS!! Might be worth a bit more investigating.

Sure i saw one go on eBay a few weeks ago for under a tenner, as I almost bought it, just because...

Pic #7 - 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154104506347

11 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Looking at the CR138 , which is seemingly the radio for that receiver (?), it looks remarkably similar to the CR151, which was an awesome ,full feature radio, EPA, throttle & steering curve adjustment, launch control and Adjustable ABS!! Might be worth a bit more investigating.

Sure i saw one go on eBay a few weeks ago for under a tenner, as I almost bought it, just because...

Pic #7 - 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154104506347

Cheers, sounds good. That’s another avenue I can investigate 👍

• Like 1