foz75

Hotshot paint ideas?

On 1/16/2021 at 9:22 AM, RaymondC said:

Well done!! It looks unique!!

I finally get a Hotshot which is my dream R/C since I was a kid but no way I could afford it by that time! May I ask you how to paint these colors by order? Is it like PS-18 PS-53 and PS-41 will be the last? How many coating on each spray?  Sorry I used to be just paint in one color as simple as that is but I wish I can hav a body like this

PS-53 lamé flake (please don’t be put off by the name - it is awesome) goes down first - I found that 2/3 coats gives a good sparkle. I can’t tell you how superb this is in sunlight.  Don’t know why Tamiya have used a dark coloured paint cap because it works on all shades - all their other ‘clear’ paints have clear caps. Pictures never do it justice - I have promised myself never to paint a polycarbonate body ever again without PS-53 - it even transforms metallic colours.  (I will only break this rule if ever the 959 gets re released!)  The picture shows the 2/3 coats of lamé flake - excuse the extra masking tape but after I’d had the scissors out the protective cover was lifting in a few areas but hope this helps.  When spraying multiple parts - like the body and spoiler - I taped the parts to a board in the proximity they are on the model before spraying - that way both parts receive the same amount of sparkle, you don’t want to paint them separately only to reunite them and realise that one sparkles more than the other.

For fun non-scale models PS-53 is an absolute MUST - just like having bearings.  One can did both my Hotshot and Avante with a dribble leftover.

Then PS-18 - metallic purple - goes next and I probably did 3/4 coats. 

The PS-41 - bright silver went last - probably only gave 2 dusting coats because it provides good coverage and is enough to take away any translucent nature of the purple. 

Usual rules apply - gently and evenly scuff the surface first and make sure it’s dry and clean - the PS paint is very flexible and sticks well so this number of coats is not a problem. 

As long as the coats are even and nothing runs it’s hard to make a mistake - especially with the Hotshot where there is no masking required - the Avante was a bit trickier because the masking has to line up with the trim decal.

Looking at the time stamps of pictures taken before and after - on a warm day - the painting process only took half an hour from first coat to pulling off the protective covering - couldn’t be easier.

B63841F6-370F-4F44-8683-22C3648CAF55.jpeg

5 hours ago, nicherotors said:

PS-53 lamé flake (please don’t be put off by the name - it is awesome) goes down first - I found that 2/3 coats gives a good sparkle. I can’t tell you how superb this is in sunlight.  Don’t know why Tamiya have used a dark coloured paint cap because it works on all shades - all their other ‘clear’ paints have clear caps. Pictures never do it justice - I have promised myself never to paint a polycarbonate body ever again without PS-53 - it even transforms metallic colours.  (I will only break this rule if ever the 959 gets re released!)  The picture shows the 2/3 coats of lamé flake - excuse the extra masking tape but after I’d had the scissors out the protective cover was lifting in a few areas but hope this helps.  When spraying multiple parts - like the body and spoiler - I taped the parts to a board in the proximity they are on the model before spraying - that way both parts receive the same amount of sparkle, you don’t want to paint them separately only to reunite them and realise that one sparkles more than the other.

For fun non-scale models PS-53 is an absolute MUST - just like having bearings.  One can did both my Hotshot and Avante with a dribble leftover.

Then PS-18 - metallic purple - goes next and I probably did 3/4 coats. 

The PS-41 - bright silver went last - probably only gave 2 dusting coats because it provides good coverage and is enough to take away any translucent nature of the purple. 

Usual rules apply - gently and evenly scuff the surface first and make sure it’s dry and clean - the PS paint is very flexible and sticks well so this number of coats is not a problem. 

As long as the coats are even and nothing runs it’s hard to make a mistake - especially with the Hotshot where there is no masking required - the Avante was a bit trickier because the masking has to line up with the trim decal.

Looking at the time stamps of pictures taken before and after - on a warm day - the painting process only took half an hour from first coat to pulling off the protective covering - couldn’t be easier.

B63841F6-370F-4F44-8683-22C3648CAF55.jpeg

U are awesome!! Just look at all the details can tell how organized you are.. all little details will make it difference.. very appreciated for your help.. so looking forward to work on my project!

• Like 1