RCRLMichael

Tamiya M-03L or M-05 chassis - need help identifying

Hello all,

Well, the postal delivery folks brought me another eBay purchase today.  I picked up what was advertised as a Tamiya M-05 chassis.  It's a brand new roller chassis that's never been run, but completely assembled save for a steering servo, ESC, receiver, and tires.  Not sure what I plan to do with this vehicle yet, but it was cheap so I snapped it up.

However, after doing a bit of searching online (as you do) I've discovered that the wheels on the model itself look to be from the Tamiya 2006 Mini Cooper S (kit #58400), which used an M-03L chassis.  Now, it's very likely the seller may have simply installed a spare set of wheels they had left from a different build, but it's now raised the question: how can I identify whether the chassis I've purchased is an M-03L or an M-05?

Thanks in advance.  Cheers!

Michael

IMG_20201108_102904.jpg

IMG_20201108_102338.jpg

IMG_20201108_102852.jpg

IMG_20201108_102858.jpg

Most definitely a M05 😉 

M05 has those "Handles" on the Upper Chassis... M03 does not have those.

Just now, Carmine A said:

Most definitely a M05 😉

That's very good to know.

I honestly know very little about the M-chassis cars from Tamiya, other than they're very popular as a race category.

This particular one was a great deal - $50 shipped, so honestly I can't complain one way or the other.  I don't know if the vehicle has bearings, or any other hidden treats the previous owner may have included (it does have red anodized wheel nuts, so that's nice), but the price it can't be beat.

• Like 1

You're right, $50 is a great price!! These are a lot of fun, and can be flogged harder than the RWD counterparts, without the evil tendencies of spinning off the Track!! 

Gotta warn you, it's hard to stop at just ONE of these! 😜

6 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

Gotta warn you, it's hard to stop at just ONE of these! 😜

And I'm completely fine with this potential problem...LOL!!

• Haha 1