Jump to content
DeadMeat666

M06 (better late than never)

Recommended Posts

I just took delivery of an M06 'builder kit' of sorts, with all the basic M06 parts without electronics, wheels/tires, body, and motor. I've done a LOT of reading up on the M06, and I have a few questions for those more experienced than I:

1. The manual seems to imply that I'm to install the rear dampers (which go between the arms and the chassis) AFTER attaching the rear arms to the chassis. I'm pretty sure the clearance will not allow this.

2. The manual also mentions to use the 'kit' shock shafts for the rear if I upgrade to aluminum m-chassis dampers, but not for the front. Are the shocks not the same length front to back?

3. The battery holder comes with two mount screws, but there are four holes. Is that right?

4. I'm not seeing any references on the web that indicate whether or not the M05 ver.2 carbon re-inforced suspension arms fit on an M06 without issue, but on visual inspection I don't see why not. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

5. I plan to put some aluminum bits here and there, and as we all know, aluminum should not be attached to aluminum, so there will be places where I will need steel ball connectors. Is it just me or are these impossible to find for sale online (the black ones, not the golden brass ones)?

6. I've considered switching over to 4.8mm connectors and ends instead of the Tamiya 5mm ones, since they seem to do a better job of staying connected. Am I expected to have any problems doing this?

7. Rumor has it that I'm asking too many questions about m-chassis cars on this forum. Is there any truth to this or is it all lies?

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  1. It is a bit fiddly, but do-able.
  2. That's odd - they are the same length on mine.
  3. Yes, that is right. You can add another two if you like, but two do the job just fine.
  4. Sorry, can't say, never tried them.
  5. The black steel ball connectors are a very good idea, and not too hard to find - I bought a bunch the other day. Part number 9804205 for a pack of four. Tony has them.
  6. Can't say I've had any issues with the standard ones falling off myself, and I use my M-06 as a rally car, going over jumps, traversing rough ground, etc.
  7. Lies! All lies! We love talking M-chassis on this forum!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more thing:

What are the A6 and A8 parts for? They don't seem to connect to anything on the manual:

image.png.9c2b9870a2edb8bbcba770720bb91049.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I believe they are for the attachment of the optional stabilizer bars. 

Right. That makes a lot of sense actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One last  question: Who wants to see a build thread of this M06? I finally have all the pieces I needed to get started.

IMG-20201116-000503.jpg

Like if your answer is yes, and if I get to 10 likes, it shall be done.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

One more thing:

What are the A6 and A8 parts for? They don't seem to connect to anything on the manual:

image.png.9c2b9870a2edb8bbcba770720bb91049.png

I'm not sure and just guesting, because I haven't put a set on mine yet, but I think they might be for the stabilizer kit. Don't hold me to that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I DO! I DO!!! 😁 

As I'm looking to have at least one of each of the M Chassis Cars, I would love to see your take on it. I had a Lowride Pumpkin, built stock, and found it EXTREMELY tail heavy, harder to get around a curve than an old Porsche 911. 😖 

I know there's GOT to be ways to mitigate that - like the Front Swaybar that @TurnipJF mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

One last  question: Who wants to see a build thread of this M06? I finally have all the pieces I needed to get started.

IMG-20201116-000503.jpg

Like if your answer is yes, and if I get to 10 likes, it shall be done.

No, no thank you.

 

Ok then yes :D

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

One last  question: Who wants to see a build thread of this M06? I finally have all the pieces I needed to get started.

Like if your answer is yes, and if I get to 10 likes, it shall be done.

Just to clarify my position on this:

As much as it looks like I'm fishing for likes (which in retrospect it regretfully sort of does, which is why I am clarifying), this is not the case.

It's just that I've noticed that there really aren't that many M06 builds on the net, and those that exist either have expired (unviewable) photos, or focus more on the body than the chassis, or are relatively stock builds meant as a review of the box-standard kit. So honestly I wanted to gauge the demand for a relatively 'blingy' chassis-focussed M06 build before I went through the process of taking pictures and setting up a build thread. 

I hope that makes sense.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

 

spacer.png

I would recommend you avoid the hollow carbon shafts (they apparently leave carbon powder everywhere in the gearbox and then disintegrate lol), and also you seem to have made the same mistake as me by getting the 'front' ball suspension shaft that is meant for the M05 instead of the M06. I see you also bought the correct hopup, which is the one visible below it (to the left of the servo stay).

 

 

I have no problem stepping aside if you'd like to do the thread instead. All I care about is for a thread to be made :)

PM me and we'll agree.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt you would both have exactly the same views on everything, ways of doing things, etc, so why not have two threads, and let us compare your approaches to the model?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I doubt you would both have exactly the same views on everything, ways of doing things, etc, so why not have two threads, and let us compare your approaches to the model?

THIS!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I doubt you would both have exactly the same views on everything, ways of doing things, etc, so why not have two threads, and let us compare your approaches to the model?

Absolutely! @DeadMeat666 seemed to be in some doubt as to whether to do a build thread or not, and I think that seeing as how there seem to be so few out there then there's easily room for two more :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I have no problem stepping aside if you'd like to do the thread instead. All I care about is for a thread to be made :)

PM me and we'll agree.

No need for stepping aside, there's easily room for two more! This would be a far poorer site if there was only ever room for one, definitive build of each model. Where's the fun in that? :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TurnipJF, @Juhunio, @Carmine A

That sounds like a plan! Let the builds begin! :D

 

Mine will not be immediate though, as I'm going to wait for a critical mass of content before I start posting.

 

Thanks all for your valuable input, much appreciated.

 

Edit: My post reached 10 likes, so I guess I have no choice in the matter now lol.

Edited by DeadMeat666
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2020 at 10:24 PM, TurnipJF said:

I doubt you would both have exactly the same views on everything, ways of doing things, etc, so why not have two threads, and let us compare your approaches to the model?

I think what Turnip is trying to say is..

M9HON1g.jpg

 

On 11/16/2020 at 9:58 PM, DeadMeat666 said:

I would recommend you avoid the hollow carbon shafts (they apparently leave carbon powder everywhere in the gearbox and then disintegrate lol)

I have had carbon shafts in numerous Tamiyas and not had this happen. Also cannot see how it happens, seeing the shaft is dormant in the gearbox and the inner race of the ball bearing doesn't rotate, so there is no way it can wear or disintegrate. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, berman said:

I have had carbon shafts in numerous Tamiyas and not had this happen. Also cannot see how it happens, seeing the shaft is dormant in the gearbox and the inner race of the ball bearing doesn't rotate, so there is no way it can wear or disintegrate. 

Indeed - the only way I can see this being an issue is if a bearing had seized. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, berman said:

I have had carbon shafts in numerous Tamiyas and not had this happen. Also cannot see how it happens, seeing the shaft is dormant in the gearbox and the inner race of the ball bearing doesn't rotate, so there is no way it can wear or disintegrate. 

Hmm... I stand corrected then!

I had read somewhere (on rctech I think) that the Tamiya hollow carbon gear shafts were causing problems with others, so I figured I'd mention it, but if you've tried them and can vouch for them, then I suppose I must've misunderstood.

Apologies for any confusion caused.:D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2020 at 8:58 AM, DeadMeat666 said:

...also you seem to have made the same mistake as me by getting the 'front' ball suspension shaft that is meant for the M05 instead of the M06. I see you also bought the correct hopup, which is the one visible below it (to the left of the servo stay).

 

Howdy builder!

I just opened up the packet for that front ball suspension part, 54583. It says on the packet it fits the M-06 as well as the M-05, and the instructions look the part. It replaces the 3x32mm step screw (BB8), but you need to use the longer eyelet when building the dampers. As long as you're using M Chassis / TRF / CVA Super Mini dampers (which I expect you are!) and you use the long eyelet, then 54583 is a go!

spacer.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Howdy builder!

I just opened up the packet for that front ball suspension part, 54583. It says on the packet it fits the M-06 as well as the M-05, and the instructions look the part. It replaces the 3x32mm step screw (BB8), but you need to use the longer eyelet when building the dampers. As long as you're using M Chassis / TRF / CVA Super Mini dampers (which I expect you are!) and you use the long eyelet, then 54583 is a go!

Yes. But then why does part 54296, with SLIGHTLY more length on the shafts, exist? My guess is to replace 54583 for the M06 rear suspension and allow the use of either eyelet without interference.

I have both and there is only space on the car for one set :), so I'm not feeling very intelligent at the moment lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno! But you previously referred to ordering 54583 as a "mistake"; I was just trying to provide some comfort that it isn't. According to the available instructions, there is room and intention for both on an M06; 54583 on the front, 54296 on the back :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

I dunno! But you previously referred to ordering 54583 as a "mistake"; I was just trying to provide some comfort that it isn't. According to the available instructions, there is room and intention for both on an M06; 54583 on the front, 54296 on the back :)

Thanks for the clarification fellow builder!

For the rear I can see a benefit: It places the dampers in a more "lay-down" position compared to the stock vertical mounting.

I'm completely at a loss as to what the benefit would be of these shafts at the front of the M06 (or the M05 for that matter!). They seem to place the damper ball end along the same axis that it would have been if we used the stock mounting location, only with a longer damper end piece. So the orientation doesn't change, and the suspension travel doesn't change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...