NJW1975

THE HORNET

It came out 23 years before the first iPhone.  Look how young Tom Hanks was in 1984!  Wild One from 1985 was already a better buggy. I prefer the Frog, even though it came out before the Hornet.  

xYbOFmi.jpg

80's Tamiya = Hornet. It's that iconic.  But the driving characteristic isn't going to impress anybody in 2020, especially if you know how the Rising Storm drives.  So, I agree with Turnip here. I've got two DT-03s myself. They are still 'entry-level' buggies, but they are a lot better runners.  Put sticky grease or differential clay in the differential.  DT-03's offroadability would be almost as good as 4WD buggies.  

• Like 1

Don't forget about the cheaper Rising Fighter!

Not as iconic as the Hornet but more durable...

Hard body

Superior grasshopper 2 chassis.....plus typically £30 approx cheaper! (And there's ampro parts available)

• Like 1

if you go hornet you have to get the ampro battery door upgrade, its a must!! the stock battery door is notorious for falling off while driving = dragging the battery behind the car... no fun at all! other than that: sport tuned motor, ballbearings!

• Like 1

Just to add my 2p worth...when I first got back into the hobby some 10 years ago I got a re re hotshot and a basket case hornet, mechanically sound but rough around the edges. My abiding memory of the hornet is that it was fast, but squirrally if you know what I mean. It is a very light car, especially compared to a 4wd, so it doesn't take much to send it on it's way. I had a sports tuned in mine running nimh batteries (that liked to fall out) and it was plenty quick enough. Unfortunately, on anything approaching a bumpy surface it was more luck than judgment as to which direction the car would point.

The issue is the rear suspension tends to 'bounce' over lumps and bumps, rather than actually absorbing them, resulting in the back end kicking up and swinging the front end off the line you were actually driving. Ultimately, I found this too frustrating. I still have the hotshot, but not the hornet (and the hotshot is no great performer tbh). The Hornet is great for what it is/was, but ultimately there are better performing cars for similar, or even less money. But then, I know what it's like when your kids have their heart set on something! 

As others have said, there are ways of addressing some of its shortcomings ie 3D printed parts, but then, you might as well have a better performing car from the get-go. I really like the dt03 linked earlier in the thread dressed up as a hornet. Stick some functional spotlights on it (i like spotlights on my buggies 😁) and you would have a good performing buggy that closely resembled an iconic looking buggy.

I think whatever you end up choosing, the experience of building and running together will eclipse what it is you're building and running 🙂

• Like 1

Choosing what to go for out of Tamiya's large and somewhat bizarrely marketed range can be difficult.  The Hornet, for example, in 1984, had "High Performance Off Road Racer" on the box, but there were other buggies around that in performance terms were better, and more suited to racing.

The re-release still has the same legend, but it is in no way "High Performance" or "Racer" compared to today's buggies.  It's intended as a nostalgia item, but naturally Tamiya don't bother to point that out to any potential customer who might not be familiar with the 80s range.

That's not to say it's a bad product.  It still fills the same niche as it did in the 80s - that is, an easy-to-build, easy-to-maintain buggy that is robust, fast and fun to drive.  It won't break any lap records around a race track and it won't go in a straight line if you drive it over bumps, but for simply having a blast on the gravel it's just as fun now as it was 35 years ago.  Lots of us Tamiya fans have either got one (or several) or have had them.  For a youngster they are a great first buggy (I have one in mind for my daughter's first build when she's old enough) but if you are already having issues with getting hung up on twigs then perhaps it's not the best option.

Perhaps something with bigger wheels and more ground clearance would be better.  As already stated, the DT-03 is a great entry-level buggy.  I say entry-level, but in terms of spec it's decades away from the Hornet.  Double-wishbone suspension all round offers much more compliance over bumps, and I think it comes with oil shocks, which offer much better damping.  It's always been priced low (compared to other Tamiya cars) and offers a lot for the money.  It has modern 2.2" buggy wheels which offer better clearance.

The build is more complex than the Hornet, but with Tamiya's great instructions it will be a fun build for you both.  The DT-03T is the same thing but with wider truck wheels and low-profile street tyres, however you could fit 2.2" monster truck tyres to these to further increase ground clearance.  Gearing should be OK if you stick with a silvercan or sport tuned motor.  It really depends how bad your clearance issue is and what terrain you're driving on.

There's also the Mad Bull.  It's a very similar chassis to the Hornet based around the same principals, but it has big balloon tyres from a monster truck.  This gives it more ground clearance and a fun, bouncy drive.  For a long time these seemed to be #1 on the "recommended first car for children" list.

You could also do the same with a Hornet, by fitting the wheels and tyres from a Midnight Pumpkin or Lunchbox.  (I think you might also need the wider front hubs from the Pumpkin/LB).  This will give you more clearance and let you keep the same body and style.

On that subject, the Pumpkin/Lunchbox are based in a similar chassis philosophy to the Hornet and share some common parts.  Mostly they are designed to do wheelies rather than drive along in a straight line, and for that reason they are often recommended as fun cars for kids.  However if your son actually likes to drive his cars around a course then they are frustrating - they just want to wheelie and flip over.

The comical buggies / WR02 in general fill the same niche as the Pumpkin/Lunchbox, but they do it better, with less clattering and clunking and with double wishbone suspension.  They can be made to drive around a track (we usually hold Wheelie Races at big race meets) but it's a challenge.

Or you could consider one of Tamiya's monster trucks.  There's a whole new minefield of known flaws and fixes to get into, but you will get more clearance and a classic visual style.  The downside is monster trucks roll over easier and most have hard plastic bodies which are easier to damage in a roll.

There's a whole lot to look at - take your time and have fun with the window-shopping :)

• Like 1

@Mad Ax  you've been so helpful you have no idea, thank you so much.  Looking at the Neo Fighter now, i'm assuming this is what you mean by the DT-03 and it certainly looks the part.  My only concern now is, is this going to be a bit of a disappointment for my son when he has been driving his DF-02 for the last 8 months????  I guess my original post on this forum should have been "i'm looking to get a new Tamiya RC car for my son's xmas present, currently has an old second hand DF-02, what do you guys suggest as a better car???"

4 hours ago, NJW1975 said:

@Mad Ax  you've been so helpful you have no idea, thank you so much.  Looking at the Neo Fighter now, i'm assuming this is what you mean by the DT-03 and it certainly looks the part.  My only concern now is, is this going to be a bit of a disappointment for my son when he has been driving his DF-02 for the last 8 months????  I guess my original post on this forum should have been "i'm looking to get a new Tamiya RC car for my son's xmas present, currently has an old second hand DF-02, what do you guys suggest as a better car???"

The DT-03 is the chassis designation, which comes with either the Neo Fighter or Racing Fighter bodyshells depending on which kit you buy. There is also the DT-03T Aqroshot, which again shares the same basic chassis, but this time the body, wheels, tyres and front axles are different as befitting its T (truck) designation.

While there is a very real risk that a Hornet would be a disappointment compared to the far more capable DF-02 that he is used to, the DT-03 is a contemporary buggy of a very similar standard to the DF-02, so is unlikely to be a disappointment. It will be an opportunity to explore the differences between 4WD and 2WD layouts, enjoying the additional straight line speed granted by the simpler, lower friction 2WD drivetrain, along with a different handling challenge.

I acquired my DF-02 before my DT-03, and in no way did I find the DT-03 a disappointment in comparison. I am confident that your son will find the same.

(Of course, if he is really enjoying his DF-02, another option would be the TT-02B, in many ways a new and improved version of what he has at present. It has a few issues that need to be addressed, most notably the diffs, but once done, it is a capable and resilient buggy that performs well. I used mine to win the latest round of the postal races for example.)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Shadowfalcon said:

if you go hornet you have to get the ampro battery door upgrade, its a must!! the stock battery door is notorious for falling off while driving = dragging the battery behind the car... no fun at all! other than that: sport tuned motor, ballbearings!

True, that's the one AmPro piece I don't have that I need. 

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

True, that's the one AmPro piece I don't have that I need. 

Black tape will also solve this problem and costs next to nothing,its what i used back in 80s 😁

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2020 at 2:15 PM, NJW1975 said:

Hi all,

i'm aiming to get The Hornet as a Christmas present for my son and was after some advice.  Basically I want to make this model the best that it can be so was hoping that you lovely lot can tell me the best possible Hop Up options I can get for this model please (ideally i'd like to have all the hop-ups in place beforehand so I can incorporate in the build)?  Be it an upgraded Motor (probably not a brushless one as he's only 9) so the fastest brushed one that I can get, suspension (if a necessary upgrade) and any other things that is recommended?  We've had a lot of fun with a second hand prebuilt Rising Storm over lockdown and now he wants a brand new Hornet that we can build together.  This will be my first build although over the last months I've had to do a fair few repair jobs to our current one so reckon i'll be ok.

The best hop up available is to buy the frog instead of the hornet as the hornets, although fun and iconic are shocking to drive

3 minutes ago, slimleeroy said:

The best hop up available is to buy the frog instead of the hornet as the hornets, although fun and iconic are shocking to drive

Yes and the best hopup for the frog is just buy the lunchbox instead 😁

• Like 1

9 hours ago, taffer said:

Yes and the best hopup for the frog is just buy the lunchbox instead 😁

He he although the frog is much more capable than any of the solid axle cars 👍

• Haha 1

Does he have friends with RC's?  Has he (or you) thought about racing?  If so, then its probably worth considering something else.  We have TT02B (4wd succesor to the Rising Storm) which have the same problem as the DF02, low ride height.  They can't handle anything but the shortest grass.  However, the 2wd Super Astute and NovaFox have no problems with much longer grass.  We have a Monster Beetle and Lunchbox and when my 7yo son (he's been racing a couple of years and isn't awful with a controller, but he's 7) and I race, he will beat me with the MB vs my LB.  The LB is that bad.  We both run Ae B6D at our club days and I will get around double the laps he does in a 6min race, but the LB is that bad.  

If he really wants the Hornet then get the Hornet as thats whats important, especially since he's 9.  But do you want to get more cars?   We have 19 cars and that includes 10 racers, about half of which are my sons.  He comes racing with me and has a great time.  If this is a present for a 9yo that will need to last a few years (these things aren't cheap and my son doesn't realise how lucky he is that he gets the cars because I race and its something that we do together) then I would look at the DT03 as that could be taken to a club race and could hold its own against some of the Traxxas and Armma offerings.  But if this is a present that you can build together and run, then buy something better for his birthday or next Christmas then get the Hornet. 

Also get a decent radio and charger for him, they are 2 things you buy once and then have for years.

@Jonathon Gillham This is a new hobby for us and only started back in May this year so it's just us two (or him as only one car) that go out with it.  he's now changed his mind about the Hornet after me telling him the stories from this thread.  we've got it down to two choices now so it's down to him to decide on which one he wants. So it's either the Terra Scorcher or the Racing Fighter.  I'm happy with either of his choices and going from all the comments i don't think we'll be able to go far wrong with either.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NJW1975 said:

@Jonathon Gillham This is a new hobby for us and only started back in May this year so it's just us two (or him as only one car) that go out with it.  he's now changed his mind about the Hornet after me telling him the stories from this thread.  we've got it down to two choices now so it's down to him to decide on which one he wants. So it's either the Terra Scorcher or the Racing Fighter.  I'm happy with either of his choices and going from all the comments i don't think we'll be able to go far wrong with either.  

Both great choices. What I have found is that all the Tamiya's have similar performance and you get quite even backyard racing with them built stock (ie kit motor but add bearings and required durability uogrades but no performance upgrades) with the exception of the Lunchbox. Whichever he chooses you should have good fun with that and the DF02 together.

Have you bought a decent charger yet? If not, pick up a dual charger that can do both batteries at once as thats important to keep the cars in play. And chargers are cheaper than batteries...I have the HTRC C240 which was about NZD90 from Banggood and its been great, we can get both battereis charged quickly with it which is in many ways more important that what cars. Look for at least 60w per channel and 6amp charge rate per channel. And a dual is heaps easier than 2 singles, just less plugs, space required etc. There are heaps around, the HTRC range seems the cheapest to get all the features you need.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Both great choices. What I have found is that all the Tamiya's have similar performance and you get quite even backyard racing with them built stock (ie kit motor but add bearings and required durability uogrades but no performance upgrades) with the exception of the Lunchbox. Whichever he chooses you should have good fun with that and the DF02 together.

Have you bought a decent charger yet? If not, pick up a dual charger that can do both batteries at once as thats important to keep the cars in play. And chargers are cheaper than batteries...I have the HTRC C240 which was about NZD90 from Banggood and its been great, we can get both battereis charged quickly with it which is in many ways more important that what cars. Look for at least 60w per channel and 6amp charge rate per channel. And a dual is heaps easier than 2 singles, just less plugs, space required etc. There are heaps around, the HTRC range seems the cheapest to get all the features you need.

i've made my sons decision for him and ordered the Terra Scorcher today, i'm sure he won't mind.  Thank you for the info re the chargers, very helpful.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, NJW1975 said:

i've made my sons decision for him and ordered the Terra Scorcher today, i'm sure he won't mind.  Thank you for the info re the chargers, very helpful.

I know you didn't ask but its the one thing I wish I had done differently when I started. I now have 2 single chargers and a dual but hindsight is wonderful - would've bought a quad or at least a dual at the start if I had known!

Great choice on the Terra Scorcher, I'm not buying anymore cars for a while but that one sure did tempt me.

On 11/13/2020 at 5:42 AM, NJW1975 said:

Good call there mate. I have a Super Hornet ( same live axle as Hornet) and the handling is simply poor. It bounces all over the place is now where near as much fun to drive as my, Fighter Buggy, Frog or Fast Attack Vehicle. 

Super Hornet was my first car so has sentimental value and I have vivid memories of building it on the lounge room floor. The build was pretty simple, but I think you and your son with quite enjoy building the TC. It is a few more notches up on the skill level. Get yourself a bearing kit for it and have some fun.

I don’t wish to sound negative, but hornets are dreadful off road. They tend to bounce around all over the place due to the rear suspension design. Tends to take the fun out of driving it, which is the whole point of these cars. As others have mentioned, a DT03 or DT02 (sand viper) would be a better bet.

EDIT- I see you’ve bought a Terra Scorcher- good choice 👍