Nicadraus

Damper Building thread

Hi guys!

As the title says, let's make this thread a guide to shocks/damper building. Tips and tricks, Dos and don'ts. 

I purchased this YR 55mm ($24) shock gear damper to install in my shelf queen FF-01. 

L55eKyIh.jpg

ARNVMHFh.jpg

It comes with 4 sets of springs

YBW4Phoh.jpg

Decided to use my extra TRF springs for 60mm. Fits perfectly because the TRF and YR dampers are interchangeable.

jzvAv6wh.jpg

Lots of extra o-rings, e-clips, 2 sets of rod/shaft ends, pistons, etc. Body is fluorine coated and rod is titanium coated.

4WXzO08h.jpg

wbM6jkqh.jpg

Cth7plOh.jpg

Tools I use for building shocks are these: Shock/turnbuckle tool (can also be used to hold wires for soldering), long nose pliers and hobby knife.

6xRWnIkh.jpg

sPfXhNTh.jpg

wbM6jkqh.jpg

Assemble the rod and piston. Use long nose pliers to lock the e-clips but never use the long nose pliers to hold the rod. I used two holes pistons for this build.

U0jXQgYh.jpg

Apply minimal amount of grease to the o-rings and shaft. This is just to help the rod get thru the o-rings smoothly. The YR is supplied with 30cst oil, same thickness as the HPI oil I'm using for all of my other dampers including my other TRF and YR sets for on-road and rally.

RlEACIHh.jpg

3QPSqVuh.jpg

Put the oil in. MOve the rod slowly up and down halfway about three to four times to release the air bubbles that remains in the damper. Let the bubbles float until oil settles. This may take a while. Usually 5-10 minutes depending on damper size and piston holes.

P49j1X5h.jpg

Assemble cover.

duu7BWjh.jpg

fHbnLOEh.jpg

Once oil is bubbles free, add a few more drops of oil and put on the cover, insert the spring and retainer. Adjust the collar according to your liking or specified set up.

MBpcOnBh.jpg

Side by side with my 60mm TRF (using short shaft end).

MWh8ndUh.jpg

If I were to compare and rate the two dampers using the same springs:

TRF:

Build - 10/10

Smootheness and rebound - 10/10

Parts durability - 10/10

Price - 8/10

YR:

Build - 9/10

Smoothness and rebound - 10/10

Parts durability - 10/10

Price  - 10/10

The TRF dampers is one of the best (or actually the best) dampers you can buy. But the YR comes very close in terms of performance and build. The YR costs 40-50% less than the TRF. Some people who owns YR dampers/shocks used Tamiya o-rings and pistons. While I use all YR parts on this build and on my other 60mm YR sets. Although parts are interchangeable between the two brands. In my FF-03RR, it uses TRF dampers with YR medium springs in front and soft at the back. While my XV-01 and LRP S10 uses YR 60mm shock gear sets. Smoothness and rebound is almost 100% identical. Won't really notice the difference. The only thing I noticed is when you put the damper cover and tighten it, there is minimal oil flow on top whereas the TRF doesn't have that issue. Although I never had the same issue with my 60mm YR sets

YR installed in my FF-01

Kzay7FFh.jpg

TRF in the FF-03 Pro-R (60mm) and TRF (with YR springs) in the FF-03RR (extended to 65mm in the rear)

5RdkUbJh.jpg

YR 60mm YR 60mm Shock Gear for off-road in the XV-01

cMlmpogh.jpg

Uwc2xhKh.jpg

YR 60mm Shock Gear (extended to 65mm) for off-road in the LRP S10

pejFbz2h.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

This is a great idea!! 👍👍

I use Yeah Racing Aluminum Shocks often, and have always been impressed. One thing, I replace the YR O-Ring Seals with X-Rings from Team Associated. Ultra smooth - DON'T leak!! 

• Like 2

@Nicadraus First of all great thread, and excellent work providing clear pictures of the shock building process. Your attention to detail is something to be aspired to.

That being said, allow me to offer up my humble yet dissenting opinion. 

Having built 2 sets of YR shocks and 5 sets of TRF shocks in recent history, I definitely noticed a difference in build quality between the two manufacturers. The threading on the YR shock bodies is rougher, the shock caps are harder to fasten completely, the rubber oring that holds the damper ring is flimsier, and most importantly, the shock shaft guide doesn't seem to do a very good job of keeping the piston centered in the shock body, causing it to rub with lateral movement, or if the shock is mounted in any position other than straight up and down.

I can't comment on how this affects performance, as I haven't tried racing the same car around a track with both types of shocks back to back, but my concern is more academic than practical anyway; I tend to appreciate the engineering more than the performance.

Thoughts?

• Like 4

Great post thanks, very detailed and interesting - and also well timed as I ponder what shocks to get for my XV-01 build! :D

I've ordered the long damper XV-01 kit but was planning to fit TRF Big Bores with the standard height carbon damper stays, or stick with the long version FRP damper stays and fit the GF-01 dampers (cheap on Rcmart!). 

But now I'm thinking the YR set you've used here could be perfect and free up build budget for some other upgrades! 

If you were building your XV-01 again what length shock would you go for if you had the choice between long and standard lengths? (doesn't appear that much if any travel is gained with long version - but my kit is still in the post... so I can't check!) :o

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

Great post thanks, very detailed and interesting - and also well timed as I ponder what shocks to get for my XV-01 build! :D

I've ordered the long damper XV-01 kit but was planning to fit TRF Big Bores with the standard height carbon damper stays, or stick with the long version FRP damper stays and fit the GF-01 dampers (cheap on Rcmart!). 

But now I'm thinking the YR set you've used here could be perfect and free up build budget for some other upgrades! 

If you were building your XV-01 again what length shock would you go for if you had the choice between long and standard lengths? (doesn't appear that much if any travel is gained with long version - but my kit is still in the post... so I can't check!) :o

Speaking as someone who recently acquired an XV-01 long damper spec and installed the GF-01 aluminum dampers, I'm very happy with the end result and have no regrets. Apparently the long damper spec gives a little more upwards travel, but no additional downwards travel, so the ride height remains unchanged from the standard XV-01.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Speaking as someone who recently acquired an XV-01 long damper spec and installed the GF-01 aluminum dampers, I'm very happy with the end result and have no regrets. Apparently the long damper spec gives a little more upwards travel, but no additional downwards travel, so the ride height remains unchanged from the standard XV-01.

Hope that helps.

It does thanks - one thing that's not clear to me though, won't the chassis always bottom out before the shocks get close to full compression with the long damper version of the kit?

Cheers! 

25 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

It does thanks - one thing that's not clear to me though, won't the chassis always bottom out before the shocks get close to full compression with the long damper version of the kit?

Cheers! 

I believe you may have hit the nail on the head there. I'm assuming the chassis does NOT bottom out with the standard spec, so the LDS fixes that and allows full articulation, until the contact point of the chassis with the ground.

Secondly, having additional upwards travel will probably help if you happen to hit a change in elevation or rock/pebble on the outside wheels as you are going around a curve, where the car is already leaning towards that direction. With a standard spec, this may cause the springs on that side to bottom out and unsettle the chassis, where the long-damper will more likely take it in stride.

All this is just arm-chair physics, so take it at face value :lol:

I'm very open to being corrected or criticized. Don't be shy everyone lol.

IMG-20201021-014354.jpg

Here it is with the GF-01 shocks in case you were wondering how it looks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@DeadMeat666 For some good chance, all my three YR damper sets are well made and easy to fasten the covers. No issues about the rod being not in the center too. What YR dampers are you using? So far these 55mm and 60mm are working great. I also agree about the threads being a little rougher when you feel  them by fingers. But it's a very small matter to me actually. :)

@BuggyGuy

Big bore dampers are not advisable for the XV-01 as the front right will hit the gear case cover. I suggest either go for the GF-01 (can't go wrong with it) and use the white long damper spec springs from the stock CVA. Or you can go for 70mm YR shock gear (not big bore).

Here's my friend's XV installed with the GF-01 shocks. 

SZnJO7ql.jpg

icQianDl.jpg

The advantage of having longer dampers is the travel. But the rebound is very similar (or the same). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nicadraus said:

@DeadMeat666 For some good chance, all my three YR damper sets are well made and easy to fasten the covers. No issues about the rod being not in the center too. What YR dampers are you using? So far these 55mm and 60mm are working great. I also agree about the threads being a little rougher when you feel  them by fingers. But it's a very small matter to me actually. :)

Just to clarify, the rods in mine (55mm) are centered, but they tilt really easily under any lateral force (such as when they're mounted diagonally), and the piston makes hard contact with the shock body from the inside. You can even wobble the shock shaft left and right if you hold it with your fingers before you install the spring; you'll see what i mean. The TRF shocks hold the shaft much more tightly and prevent this wobbling, while still being very smooth in the up-down motion.

20 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Just to clarify, the rods in mine (55mm) are centered, but they tilt really easily under any lateral force (such as when they're mounted diagonally), and the piston makes hard contact with the shock body from the inside. You can even wobble the shock shaft left and right if you hold it with your fingers before you install the spring; you'll see what i mean. The TRF shocks hold the shaft much more tightly and prevent this wobbling, while still being very smooth in the up-down motion.

I guess you got some unfortunate sets. 

@Nicadraus I assume the clearance issue would only be applicable to TRF damper kit 42287? Or do you think would also be an issue with 42354 (this is the "+" version of the other TRF big bore set - which appear to be a touch smaller weirdly)! 

42287: https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/42287/index.htm

42354: https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/42354/index.htm

Apologies for all the questions!  :D

On 11/10/2020 at 7:50 PM, BuggyGuy said:

@Nicadraus I assume the clearance issue would only be applicable to TRF damper kit 42287? Or do you think would also be an issue with 42354 (this is the "+" version of the other TRF big bore set - which appear to be a touch smaller weirdly)! 

42287: https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/42287/index.htm

42354: https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/42354/index.htm

Apologies for all the questions!  :D

No worries about the questions.  Don't hesitate to ask and we will reply the best way we can. :)

Anyway those TRF dampers you posted are for on-road. They are short and won't work with the XV-01. Also, clearance issue is applicable to majority of big bore dampers regardless of brand. TRF, Yeah Racing, Gmade, 3Racing, Xtraspeed, etc. The XV uses standard damper with a body diameter of 11.6mm and caps/covers diameter of 14.5-15mm. Going for a damper wider than that will have clearance issues with the XV-01's spur gear cover.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Using TRF rod guides in the YR shocks really tightens up the wobbly shafts. The shocks on my XV-01 are a hodgepodge of YR and TRF parts at this point, and I've used the TRF guides in YR and MST shocks to tighten them up.

The YR shocks are definitely worth the money, even if you change the o-rings and rod guides during the build. Far better than any other "budget" shock, and better than a lot of "premium" ones.

• Like 3

It's nice that you are introducing the set in detail. For the money, it is a good set. I should look into o-rings and guides.  

The orange sponge they supplied with mine was too hard. I hope 2020 version comes with softer ones.  I could stand a hefty screw driver on it, and it wouldn't compress.  

57VDgaV.jpg

That prevented the diaphragm from compensating for the extra rod volume getting into the cylinder.  Even without the spring, it was hard to move the piston all the way up.  For lightweight M chassis, this made upper 1/3 useless.  (Not that you need top 1/3rd because it's on a smooth surface)  But for 2CV Rally, that's bad. I had to take the sponges out.  It still has cushiness up on top, but I figure air-suspension up on top is fine.  

oM26QNk.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have just got two sets for my M07 and M08. They are a such a big improvement on the handling and I am happy with the purchases. I was about to to post a thred on them and came across yours.

• Like 2

I too am a firm believer in Yeah Racing Shock Gear shocks, using them on my M-07 and M-08, TT-02 Type S, FF-03 and TB-03. I build mine with Tamiya red 50597 O-rings in place of the stock transparent ones and 53577 urethane bushings in place of the hard stock items. I also prefer to use Tamiya lower eyelets as they are easier to thread onto the shafts.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I too am a firm believer in Yeah Racing Shock Gear shocks, using them on my M-07 and M-08, TT-02 Type S, FF-03 and TB-03. I build mine with Tamiya red 50597 O-rings in place of the stock transparent ones and 53577 urethane bushings in place of the hard stock items. I also prefer to use Tamiya lower eyelets as they are easier to thread onto the shafts.

Could I ask what piston did you go with in your M07? I haven't tried any of the V ones  and just used the three hole ones, only because that is what I had in the Tamiya shocks and used that as a base line.

5 minutes ago, DayRider said:

Could I ask what piston did you go with in your M07? I haven't tried any of the V ones  and just used the three hole ones, only because that is what I had in the Tamiya shocks and used that as a base line.

I went for straight 2-hole pistons all round and Tamiya soft oil. I too haven't tried the V ones yet. I suspect that they may be a gimmick, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I went for straight 2-hole pistons all round and Tamiya soft oil. I too haven't tried the V ones yet. I suspect that they may be a gimmick, but I could be wrong.

I know, I can not see how they would be fasters one way and slower the other. It still has to pass though a small hole, crazy eh?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DayRider said:

I know, I can not see how they would be fasters one way and slower the other. It still has to pass though a small hole, crazy eh?

The physics are sound in terms of fluid dynamics, but I am not convinced that the very minor difference is enough to affect the car's handling in any meaningful way.

• Like 2

The physics are sound in terms of fluid dynamics, but I am not convinced that the very minor difference is enough to affect the car's handling in any meaningful way.

Saying that, I am really happy with them. I have the yellow springs on but I'm going to go softer. the rubber ring in the adjuster is a nice touch and they seem really well made for the price. 

1 minute ago, DayRider said:

Saying that, I am really happy with them. I have the yellow springs on but I'm going to go softer. the rubber ring in the adjuster is a nice touch and they seem really well made for the price. 

Indeed - how they manage to charge so little for such good shocks while still making a profit is a mystery, but I am very glad they have found a way to do it!

The springs supplied with the shocks are rather hard in my experience. I use Tamiya ones with mine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Indeed - how they manage to charge so little for such good shocks while still making a profit is a mystery, but I am very glad they have found a way to do it!

The springs supplied with the shocks are rather hard in my experience. I use Tamiya ones with mine.

I know I was thinking of getting some more and having different set ups on them.

Good shout I will give the tamiya springs a go.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

OK, we'll be honest. In a 50-65mm Shock, nobody but a World Class driver could feel the difference! 

In a 85-130mm Crawler Shock, with more speed and distance in the Pistons, there IS a notable difference using Cone Hole Pistons. I set mine up for fast compression and slow rebound. It's a perfect setup on Crawler Shocks! 

• Like 5