TwistedxSlayer

The Next Project TB02 - Slow Build - Finished June 2023

Here we go.

The Evo4 is on its way to its next home so the new project can begin.

I've been sat on this kit for a while since I won it on a cheap ebay bid. I didn't mean to win it and didn't think I would do. Its already built but does need some TLC and does have a transmission issue.

4WD. Shaft driven.

Not overly popular from my research.

Biggest concern. The 4wd doesn't work. Something has failed. I've not stripped it down yet to look at it. More importantly I've not broke it to the wife that I've even got it. Lol.

2 lucky members already know what the chassis is and no doubt ill be getting help from them.

The goal.

Build what I consider to be the Ulitmate version of this chassis using Tamiya and 3rd party parts. It will be getting built as a touring car chassis not the rally version.

Today I purchased the 1st 2 items for it. Alloy rear uprights and the alloy racing steering setup.

I am hoping it will be less complicated than the Evo4 build. As always it will be a slow build am looking at about 12-18month to complete this.

Edited by TwistedxSlayer
Title change
  • Like 4

So yesterday I started to strip it down and found why the 4wd doesn't work... because the front diff had been put in the wrong way.

Both ball diffs are quite smooth which i wasnt expecting. I've got a plan in mind but it is going to take time to source the parts and build it.

• Like 3

So I've fully stripped it down and decided on a plan of action.

I am still torn between keeping the original chassis or changing it for an carbon fibre one. Its a tough choice and more will become clear with some explanation later.

Overall its in good shape. Nothing is broken and all the parts are here.

The diffs I wanted to fit don't fit so I've had to come with another option which I am hoping will work but it could be expensive if it doesn't. So I may need to borrow the diff I am after if anyone has got a spare one to test it and see. I don't wanna spend the amount of money they cost incase it doesn't fit and I can not re-sell it on afterwards.

• Like 2

Looking forward to this mate👍

But not tooooo slow eh! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@TwistedxSlayer I am going to pitch in with TB01. Its the only one with a rally version. Unless you have gone super left field and are doing a touring version of a DF03Ra

Having already made the Ultimate TB01 touring car I can safely say it is not that.

No major suspense for this one.

6DILQRq.jpg

qNVvKpu.jpg

0bZsOgO.jpg

whzrQjd.jpg

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Having already made the Ultimate TB01 touring car I can safely say it is not that.

No major suspense for this one.

6DILQRq.jpg

Nice! I'll be following this one, I've got a NIB TB02 Carrera GT and have tracked down everything to build it as a TB02R, so will be really interested to see what you do with yours. Over time.... :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Juhunio said:

Nice! I'll be following this one, I've got a NIB TB02 Carrera GT and have tracked down everything to build it as a TB02R, so will be really interested to see what you do with yours. Over time.... :lol:

Oooooo you managed to find all the blue alloy parts?

• Like 1

Just now, TwistedxSlayer said:

Oooooo you managed to find all the blue alloy parts?

I think so! Actually maybe a couple of the suspension mounts are silver/grey rather than blue, but yeah I'm 99.5% sure I got everything out of the TB02R manual

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

I think so! Actually maybe a couple of the suspension mounts are silver/grey rather than blue, but yeah I'm 99.5% sure I got everything out of the TB02R manual

Happy days. I've started to look for the blue alloy parts but I am thinking I may stick with grey/silver parts.

I do believe that you can fit all the TB02 parts onto the TB Evo 3 chassis plate.

6 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

I do believe that you can fit all the TB02 parts onto the TB Evo 3 chassis plate.

Fybre-lite also do upper and lower decks for the TB02. Eye-wateringly expensive like, but I imagine finding the Evo 3 parts wouldn't be cheap either :blink:

11 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Fybre-lite also do upper and lower decks for the TB02. Eye-wateringly expensive like, but I imagine finding the Evo 3 parts wouldn't be cheap either :blink:

Already been looking at the FL set up. I feel if I used the E3 plate though then it loses the status of TB02 and I think that would defeat the point of it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Already been looking at the FL set up. I feel if I used the E3 plate though then it loses the status of TB02 and I think that would defeat the point of it.

Agreed. I'm looking forward to seeing how you go about it,  I'm trying to work out what other parts I would need to convert the TB02 using the FL plates. Maybe the A and J parts from the E3, maybe the motor mount too?

I am so looking forward to it. Lol.

The biggest challenge I think I am going to have is the suspension arms. Standard arms would just be too easy to fit. I am feeling TRF418 or 419 arms with E4 rear uprights not decided on the front hubs just yet but probably matching from the 418.

I want to bin off the ball diffs. I know that the TB02 and E3 gear cases are the same and I know the TB04 gear diff fits the E3 with slight modifications. So I aim to hopefully use TB04 diff in the rear and a E3 spool up front if I can find one and if it fits. And I also wanna use Titanium screws. This is not going to be a cheap build at all. Lol

• Like 2

Slow progress which i like.

Still researching but have bought some Yeah Racing upper alloy suspension mounts. Tamiya ones vary between £20 - £35 each. I've just paid £13 with delivery for 2 from RC Mart because they were in the sale.

• Like 1

Small update.

Was going to go for TRF suspension but ended up getting a really good deal on the Tamiya Reversible TB02/TA05 kit, it’s on its way in from HongKong.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 9:28 AM, TwistedxSlayer said:

I also wanna use Titanium screws. This is not going to be a cheap build at all. Lol

Ha

Only just spotted this 'off the cuff statement' 

Bravo sir welcome to the club👍

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, svenb said:

Ha

Only just spotted this 'off the cuff statement' 

Bravo sir welcome to the club👍

Looking at the Yeah Racing ones

11 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Looking at the Yeah Racing ones

I think I've seen those and they look remarkably like tamiya's 

• Like 1

So this is still an on going project. Several more small items have arrived. And several more are on order.

I think I may need a new chassis. I've found several small cracks around the battery post holes and in a couple of other places.

I'm not sure i want to fit all my nice blingy parts to a sub standard chassis

• Like 3

So I am really struggling to find a new TB02 chassis.

@svenb
will be happy to know that a set of Titanium screws have arrived.

I am very tempted by the Fibrelyte chassis kit. I know I've said previously it may defeat the point of it being a TB02 at that point.

But having stated that I want to build this as a Tamiya/3rd party build and the fact I used a super rare GPM chassis to build my TB01 which very much remains as a TB01. I think it's safe to build tis TB02 with a Fibrelyte chassis and keep it as a TB02. And NOT an Evo 3

• Like 3