RCRLMichael

LiPo battery pack to replace 4 "AA" battery holders

Hi All,

Just curious if any of you here have ditched the 4 "AA" 6V battery holders used to power the servos and receiver on Nitro cars in favor of running a small, comparably sized LiPo pack?

If so, what brand/spec/size/etc... do you use?  I'm partial to Venom Power batteries, but not married to them if there are better/less expensive options that are a direct fit.

And do you also use a LiPo alarm to avoid dropping below 3.5V or is that not much of an issue given the small power draw?

Michael

I run a 2S Orion Marathon 2500mah lipo in my nitro buggy. You can definitely switch from AA batteries with either 1S or 2S lipos depending on voltage requirements, and they also come in different shapes and sizes to fit the buggy

• Like 1

I use LiFe batteries as they are lower voltage and closer to the 6v they replace. That said if you have HV servos then lipo is the way to go.

• Like 1

Since Battery Elimination Circuit often uses 7.2v directly, I think 7.4v should work too. 

But I was not 100% sure.  Also I've heard that some servos don't do well at higher voltage.  Older analog servos should be fine.  I think it's the first generation digital servos that got fried at higher voltage.  That's why High Voltage servos came out.  But if you have 6v, then you are compatible with everything.  

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-compact-1100mah-6-6v-lifepo4-2s1p-receiver-pack.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_us_shopping&countrycode=US&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoZKupNSH7QIVkoTICh0WlgfLEAQYAiABEgJ9ffD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

These have 1100mAh, which is plenty for 4-5 tanks. (most Alkaline batteries have about 1200mAh and they last quite a bit)  Most people would run 3-4 tanks, and when they get home and storage charge, it should be fine.  However, if you have a big digital servo, I'd write down the runtime and the voltage when I'm recharging, to see how much went down after how many minutes.  Analog servos take less juice.  

Of course, you can get one with higher amp too.  

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-2100mah-2s1p-20c-lifepo4-transmitter-pack-futaba-t14sg-4pk.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_us_shopping&countrycode=US&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoZKupNSH7QIVkoTICh0WlgfLEAQYAyABEgKM5vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I know its not what you where asking for but i have best experiences with black eneloop AA cells, ca 2500mAh. Very easy to handle and last very long with my quick analog servos.
What would the benefit of LiPo be? Only the higher voltage?