zappto

Tamiya sand scorcher shocks

Hi, i have old tamiya sand scorcher with original shocks, after a while, i noticed it does not give any effect on the car. Does there exist any upgrade, to change those shocks? What is your experience? I have tryed to rebuild original, i have changed rubber o rings, added new tamiya oil. Might there are some shocks with spring, which cat fit?

thank you.

The old SRB dampers were never successful . I have them on display cars , but for my runner I have adjustable coil-overs

The old original shocks are notorious for leaking, there isn't really much you can do to stop that. There are some coilover kits from Team CRP that can be fitted to these which improves the looks and usefulness of them:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHOCK-CONVERSION-Tamiya-Sand-Scorcher-Special-Racing-Buggy-SRB-Team-CRP-5153-CS/353259503072?hash=item523fe83de0:g:3QUAAOxywbNQ-cQT

The other options are to buy the re-release shocks which had an improved design but keep the same overall aesthetic, or buy some after market coilover shocks. Crawler shocks tend to work well, just make sure the overall diameter isn't too big that they won't fit (I think under 11mm 13mm works) - eye to eye lengths are 90 and 75mm front and rear. Edit: apologies - it's 75 and 55 front and rear

• Like 1

I just went and checked what I've got on mine.

Firstly, apologies as I got my lengths wrong - it's 75mm front eye to eye and 55 rear (edited above) 

I've got some 12mm diameter RC4WD dual spring shocks on my Sand Scorcher that were listed as 80mm (72/55mm eye to eye uncompressed/compressed) but I'm not sure they sell those any more. These fit perfectly, so if you can find something this size you're laughing.

On the Ranger I've got 15mm diameter dual spring shocks, 80mm eye to eye front and 70mm rear, that are almost identical to these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/70mm-120mm-Oil-Metal-Shock-Absorber-for-1-10-Axial-SCX10-TRX4-D90-RC-Crawler/392839041070?hash=item5b7708102e:g:2ikAAOSwsnpe5z7M&var=661732320133

which are listed as Axial SCX10, TRX4, D90 so maybe check more in these parameters.

These fit almost perfectly, they just need a couple of extra washers top and bottom to space them away from the mounts.

• Like 1

On my re-re Sand Scorcher, I flipped the shocks upside down which helps it not to leak while not running. They still leak, but not as bad. I can fill them, run it a couple times before I need to refill again. I would like to find a real fix myself. You can notice on the front the shock is upside down. They are flipped on the rear too. 

Entry 1.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you Jon boy, helped a lot, i will know what to look now. Tudorp -  yes, i have tryed to use thin celulose of package, i made small washed and it helped!

thank you for reply!