Jump to content
Wetman

Mk2 escort

Recommended Posts

Never had or built an MF-01X. In terms of ball bearings, is this correct for what's needed for this kit? Thanks.

1150 (5x11x4) = 20 pcs
850 (5x8x2.5) = 4 pcs

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mechanic AH said:

Never had or built an MF-01X. In terms of ball bearings, is this correct for what's needed for this kit? Thanks.

1150 (5x11x4) = 20 pcs
850 (5x8x2.5) = 4 pcs

 

 

Close, the 1150s are correct, but two of the 850s should be flanged i.e.

  1. 1150 (5x11x4) = 20 pcs
  2. 850 (5x8x2.5) = 2 pcs
  3. 850 Flanged (5x8x2.5 F) = 2 pcs

It's just a smaller TL-01, so the same number of bearings..... but smaller ones on the prop shaft.

Alex

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RC Bearings do a complete set with the flanged ones for the prop shaft. I do believe you can do it without as the plastic bearings are not flanged? A784A954-7BC9-4934-9BD1-2886E08889F4.jpeg.877d293c0b80fea4272b8c6bf1d7de01.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wandy said:

The finished body with the smoked windows will be fine for a runner and the bodysets can be used for finely detailed shelf queens. Is there any way that the smoke can removed though?

I’m going to get a body set when they come out and finish it like the modern one in an earlier post. Red with gold wheels. The I can choose which one I use. I had to buy the whole car as I’d shortened my beetle chassis to put the Jimny body on and it takes too long to keep swapping them over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Incredible_Serious said:

Close, the 1150s are correct, but two of the 850s should be flanged i.e.

  1. 1150 (5x11x4) = 20 pcs
  2. 850 (5x8x2.5) = 2 pcs
  3. 850 Flanged (5x8x2.5 F) = 2 pcs

It's just a smaller TL-01, so the same number of bearings..... but smaller ones on the prop shaft.

Alex

 

13 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

RC Bearings do a complete set with the flanged ones for the prop shaft. I do believe you can do it without as the plastic bearings are not flanged? A784A954-7BC9-4934-9BD1-2886E08889F4.jpeg.877d293c0b80fea4272b8c6bf1d7de01.jpeg

Thanks both. So flanged goes on the propeller shaft? And flanged part faces the gear?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mechanic AH said:

 

Thanks both. So flanged goes on the propeller shaft? And flanged part faces the gear?

From the manual...

MF01X_Flanged.JPG

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, a shame about the overspray but it doesn’t appear to affect the white. We’ll see when it arrives, I suppose.

However, the finished body isn’t...finished. It has been painted, windows smoked, body post holes made but the wheel wells and sills, etc all need trimming! Why half a job? I’m not good at that bit. Perhaps I should have paid closer attention when it was announced.

I heard back from Joanne at Fusion and my order is still good. Whilst this has taken the shine off a little, I know I’ll be happy when it actually arrives and I’ve wanted the MF-01X chassis for quite a while.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am surprised that Tamiya didn't predict quite how much of a hit this model would be. In addition to appealing too Tamiya fans in general and M-chassis aficionados in particular, it will also appeal to Ford fans, classic rally fans, etc. Like Tamiya's Golf GTI and Beetle models for example, people not normally into RC will want it because it intersects with their interests. Although not a Mk.1, it may even appeal to fans of the Fast and the Furious franchise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I am surprised that Tamiya didn't predict quite how much of a hit this model would be. In addition to appealing too Tamiya fans in general and M-chassis aficionados in particular, it will also appeal to Ford fans, classic rally fans, etc. Like Tamiya's Golf GTI and Beetle models for example, people not normally into RC will want it because it interests with their interests. Although not a Mk.1, it may even appeal to fans of the Fast and the Furious franchise. 

I think Tamiya must have had an inkling, because they released it in the first place..... that it will prove to be as popular as it seems so far, is something they maybe wouldn't predict, coming from their perspective.

In my opinion, the market for a Mk2 Escort is mostly going to be the UK (where every second car is a Mk2 Escort), the Commonwealth / Colonial countries (where every second car stolen is a Mk2 Escort :P), the European rally countries (Finland, I'm looking at you here), and then rally fans the world over. I;m not sure how many Mk2 Escorts would have been sold in Japan back in the day...

Of course, I'm still happy Tamiya has seen to release this! Just waiting on them to do a Toyota C-HR body now... :rolleyes:

Alex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ken Block has popularized Fords like the Escort with some younger people through his creations and the accompanying videos.  At the very least he's made kids aware that these cars exist.  I can't think of the last time I saw an Escort on the road and most in NZ are now likely stuck in sheds appreciating in value.  There's still a few doing motorsport events but for everyday people they're gone now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blista said:

Ken Block has popularized Fords like the Escort with some younger people through his creations and the accompanying videos.  At the very least he's made kids aware that these cars exist.  I can't think of the last time I saw an Escort on the road and most in NZ are now likely stuck in sheds appreciating in value.  There's still a few doing motorsport events but for everyday people they're gone now.

Same here in Oz, pretty much.... 4-door square-headlight Ghias, the lamest of the lame, command prices $10K+.... makes me very sad about what I sold my 2-door for way back when :(

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Incredible_Serious said:

Same here in Oz, pretty much.... 4-door square-headlight Ghias, the lamest of the lame, command prices $10K+.... makes me very sad about what I sold my 2-door for way back when :(

My Escort was scrapped and turned into washing machines in China.  Back then it was worth more as raw metal so it got chewed up.  I found out when I went into the wreckers to get some parts for another car and saw my old license plates sitting outside.  It was a really nice example too.  The body was arrow straight and rust free.  Now I've got to make do with a plastic toy car from Japan instead.  :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those looking to create a road-going mk2 (without spots) it looks like some careful trimming of the bumpers (fenders) is required 

4A8BD610-AF97-4461-9DB2-08A8CC9CCDE4.jpg

I had wondered about the holes on the body in the Tamico video, wondered if one was for the spots but it is two for the bumper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

For those looking to create a road-going mk2 (without spots) it looks like some careful trimming of the bumpers (fenders) is required 

4A8BD610-AF97-4461-9DB2-08A8CC9CCDE4.jpg

I had wondered about the holes on the body in the Tamico video, wondered if one was for the spots but it is two for the bumper.

I’m hoping maybe some bumpers & spots will come up separately for my MK1 shell 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2021 at 11:56 PM, Badcrumble said:

Hmm, a shame about the overspray but it doesn’t appear to affect the white. We’ll see when it arrives, I suppose.

However, the finished body isn’t...finished. It has been painted, windows smoked, body post holes made but the wheel wells and sills, etc all need trimming! Why half a job? I’m not good at that bit. Perhaps I should have paid closer attention when it was announced.

I heard back from Joanne at Fusion and my order is still good. Whilst this has taken the shine off a little, I know I’ll be happy when it actually arrives and I’ve wanted the MF-01X chassis for quite a while.

I think that the wheel arches are precut, I am sure it says so on the little label bottom left of the box

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, thetamiyakid said:

https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=266409&lang=eng
 

if you zoom in on the picture of the box you can just about make out the wording 

You're absolutely right.

I 'd been watching the video on the phone and my German is...non-existent...so I don't know what was said in the video!

Looking at this screengrab you can make out the edges of the arches. 

Escort-body.jpg

So I just have to be careful with the bottom edges of the body. Well, at least the worst has been done.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Incredible_Serious said:

Some more memories, whilst waiting for this kit (or at least, the body) to drop....... :rolleyes:

Escort_Eildon.jpg

Like it 👍especially the slot mags

Not so much the tow bar though 😕

😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, svenb said:

Like it 👍especially the slot mags

Not so much the tow bar though 😕

😉

Tow bar was on it when I got it. Never towed anything.... but couldn't be stuffed taking it off, so there it stayed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting frustrated that I don’t know the Aus pricing yet. The Tamiya Distributor here has really dropped the ball lately IMO

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

Getting frustrated that I don’t know the Aus pricing yet. The Tamiya Distributor here has really dropped the ball lately IMO

Lately? :lol::lol::lol::lol::(:huh::o:wacko::blink:

I heard the dinosaurs had to buy overseas, due to an ineffective Tamiya distributor Downunder...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Incredible_Serious said:

Lately? :lol::lol::lol::lol::(:huh::o:wacko::blink:

I heard the dinosaurs had to buy overseas, due to an ineffective Tamiya distributor Downunder...

Was hoping when SMS took over from Toy Traders a few years ago it would improve, signs were good early, but just hasn’t happened

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...