Jump to content
Wetman

Mk2 escort

Recommended Posts

Due to be Tamiya's next offering on the MF-01x chassis and due in Jan according to Modelsport. Thoughts? Personally would like to see it on a front engined rear wheel drive chassis as per the original

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the chassis bring it on. Frankly I have given up trying to rationalise Tamiya’s   ability to put brilliant body shells on odd chassis’s. Alfa On an M-06 etc.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My LHS posted this on youtube today.  He says body will be pre-painted, which I find both odd and annoying - if I was to do a Mk2 it would have to be in custom rallycross livery, like someone bought a Mexico or similar from the local trades and converted it for local rallycross duties.  That's how I like my cars these days - the kind of racing I might have aspired to if things had worked out differently (and the kind of racing my mate and his dad did when they were younger).

I'm interested to see how the scale works out.  There are some Mk1 and Mk2 Escort bodies in 1:10 touring scale, but given the actual real-world size of an RWD escort compared to a modern road car, that really makes them a bit big.  Like the Alfa Guilia on the M04, this might work out just about right.  I was about to say the wheelbase would have to be extended as an Escort is longer than a Beetle, but I've just checked the specs on line and the wheelbase is exactly the same (2.4m).  So if the Beetle is in scale (compared to a regular 1:10 touring body it would seem to be) then the Mk2 will be in scale also.

I'm not actually against the chassis, either.  The Mk2 should be a rally car, and the MF-01X is a rally chassis.  A front-motor RWD solid axle setup is all well and good but would probably be a daymare to set up for racing.  This funky little chassis is just right for bouncing around on gravel, and given how popular the Mk2 escorts are in Europe, maybe it will lead to a revival of rally racing.

For a long time I've had the idea of putting 190mm body over a modified CC01 in RWD configuration, but I never imagined it would actually drive very well.  This is a much better proposition for people who actually want to drive it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting! It would be awesome if this was the first in a line of smallish 80s classic rally shells to sit in the MF-01X

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some kind of licensing issue between Tamiya and Ford? That's not gospel, just something I think I read somewhere? If there was, then this release would also suggest that it has been resolved

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well forgive me if I take this with a pinch of salt. There are plenty of Tamiya leakers out there so its surprising that we should find out about a January release at such short notice, presumably due to it appearing on the Hobby Company's order list.

It feels like an odd Tamiya release to me... mini truck chassis with a rwd saloon shell on it... pre-painted only... no static Tamiya escort in the archives... not a car that has any JDM interest...

I have a feeling that if it does come out, and isn't a typo, it might be a UK-only special with a non-Tamiya shell on it. I think someone out there is doing an M-chassis Mk2 already.

Always ready to eat my hat of course as I have zero industry insight these days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mad Ax I'm sure clear replacements will be available not long after the initial release.

I've got to get one of these on an M04 to go up against my 2002 and Giulia!

Just as I can't see any Tamiya on the horizon! Wahey!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not happy with my MF01X drift project, it seems too heavy / can't get enough steering angle, so I'll be picking one of these up to go on there! Make it off-roady with some M-chassis rally tyres. Can't wait! 

Unpainted body set part #51658, hopefully it will come out around the same time

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Tamiya are about to delve back into 70s / 80s rally cars then I may become very poor rather quickly 😂

My only question is why the MF01X rather than the better XV01 ?

Possibly kept it cheap to test interest ? but they ought to know their market by now !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SuperChamp82 said:

If Tamiya are about to delve back into 70s / 80s rally cars then I may become very poor rather quickly 😂

Yup! Just when I thought I was done....

5 minutes ago, SuperChamp82 said:

My only question is why the MF01X rather than the better XV01 ?

My guess, as others have said, is scale. An old Mk2 or Mk1 Escort is a relatively small car compared to the Impreza(s) or Quattro shells that sit well on the XV01.  It would be cool for it to feel that bit smaller than modern TC or Rally cars

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the obvious reply here is..... why the Mk.2 Escort, and not the (as I expected) Toyota Celica Group B or Porsche 959? 

For sure, pre-painted is a bit weird.... a mk.2 (rwd) on a 4wd platform is about normal for Tamiya these days.....

As others have mentioned, this could just be a ploy to make me poor (more so) .... I already have a Skoda Fabia WRC MF-01X, and was just about to start sourcing a Celica Group B or 959 repro body for my other MF-01X chassis....

Fair to say I am very interested in this new release..... it got me posting on the forums after so many years, so it must be a good thing!

Alex

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Yup! Just when I thought I was done....

Join the club.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like this is coming , Tamiyablog has pic of it  , Kit number 58687 . Escort MK 2 PB ( MF-01X ) ..

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

My LHS posted this on youtube today.  He says body will be pre-painted, which I find both odd and annoying - if I was to do a Mk2 it would have to be in custom rallycross livery, like someone bought a Mexico or similar from the local trades and converted it for local rallycross duties.  That's how I like my cars these days - the kind of racing I might have aspired to if things had worked out differently (and the kind of racing my mate and his dad did when they were younger).

I'm interested to see how the scale works out.  There are some Mk1 and Mk2 Escort bodies in 1:10 touring scale, but given the actual real-world size of an RWD escort compared to a modern road car, that really makes them a bit big.  Like the Alfa Guilia on the M04, this might work out just about right.  I was about to say the wheelbase would have to be extended as an Escort is longer than a Beetle, but I've just checked the specs on line and the wheelbase is exactly the same (2.4m).  So if the Beetle is in scale (compared to a regular 1:10 touring body it would seem to be) then the Mk2 will be in scale also.

I'm not actually against the chassis, either.  The Mk2 should be a rally car, and the MF-01X is a rally chassis.  A front-motor RWD solid axle setup is all well and good but would probably be a daymare to set up for racing.  This funky little chassis is just right for bouncing around on gravel, and given how popular the Mk2 escorts are in Europe, maybe it will lead to a revival of rally racing.

For a long time I've had the idea of putting 190mm body over a modified CC01 in RWD configuration, but I never imagined it would actually drive very well.  This is a much better proposition for people who actually want to drive it.

I do actually like the chassis and with rally blocks on it it gives it a bit more clearance that a high version tt-02, so will run(or should do) on hard dirt and bumpy gravel ok but racing isnt my thing, I`m more into replication of existing 1:1 motors so really would like a front/rear configuration. Anyway Chances are if they come out i`ll end up with one at some point

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course this would happen the day after I order a different kit.  *smacks forehead*

This is amazing news, though.  I would never have imagined that Tamiya would ever do a MkII Escort.  I now have to decide just how many I need to own.  M-chassis is the right choice for classic cars in my opinion.

If Tamiya are going for more pre-painted bodies on kits but supplying body sets I'm not too concerned.  I'm hoping that the kit comes with a new wheel design too but that might be even more of a miracle.  If it has a light pod out front I'd like it to be optional rather than leaving holes in the front grille.  Maybe hard plastic bumpers that it attaches to?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice M chassis body addition. 2019 I won TCS concours with Alfa Giulia, 2020 with Renault R5... 2021 could be the year of the escort ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Blista said:

Of course this would happen the day after I order a different kit.  *smacks forehead*

This is amazing news, though.  I would never have imagined that Tamiya would ever do a MkII Escort.  I now have to decide just how many I need to own.  M-chassis is the right choice for classic cars in my opinion.

If Tamiya are going for more pre-painted bodies on kits but supplying body sets I'm not too concerned.  I'm hoping that the kit comes with a new wheel design too but that might be even more of a miracle.  If it has a light pod out front I'd like it to be optional rather than leaving holes in the front grille.  Maybe hard plastic bumpers that it attaches to?

I could see this having rally blocks on Minilite-style wheels, taken straight from the Minis.... maybe even painted blue, or blue-chrome.

Alex

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Incredible_Serious said:

I could see this having rally blocks on Minilite-style wheels, taken straight from the Minis.... maybe even painted blue, or blue-chrome.

Alex

I'm betting on white Minilites.  If they're feeling adventurous, maybe light grey Minilites.  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Blista said:

I'm betting on white Minilites.  If they're feeling adventurous, maybe light grey Minilites.  :lol:

This is what I'm expecting, based on the rumours I've seen online...Esky.thumb.jpg.e0ea965211eba5c376fbc7b79cc33de8.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting choice. It seems that maybe Mr T is collaborating with Italeri as they do with quite a lot of static kits. This livery is the one that Italeri use on their 1/24th scale model. Perhaps they have scaled it up to fit the chassis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Incredible_Serious said:

This is what I'm expecting, based on the rumours I've seen online...Esky.thumb.jpg.e0ea965211eba5c376fbc7b79cc33de8.jpg

Yup, TamiyaBlog's photo makes me hopeful it'll be that one.  I think I'm too cynical to believe that Tamiya will go through the effort to create even a new colour for the wheels.  :D

OGKWxus.jpg

I wonder if they'll have the original sponsors or just replace it with their own fake ones?  At any rate, I'm still really stoked to see a MkII Escort.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tamiya3speed said:

Wallet opening...

No doubt this will make a lot of Escort fans very happy!    I personally would like to see a Porsche 959 especially since the motor and drive train layout match the car.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well, even after trying to make my own Escort bodies, I'll still buy one of these.

Hopefully this will kick off a run of 70s rally cars.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...