musicjon1975

FAV Gearbox not got any torque so car stationary

The 5mm washer shim and the W3 spacer need to be there as well as the bearings , so if they are not present then the gears will seperate . In my experience , the W3 should be replaced with an 850 bronze bush as the W3 can still leave too much play . The 5mm washer shim can then be adjusted to a thinner shim if needed , or removed - trial and error due to any previous wear in the gearbox and components , adjust until the gears rotate smoothly . As you said before you have shortened the dampers to raise the arms , this is good as the vintage hex's did bind in the inner drive joints as the arms dropped too low and caused excessive wear to the hex's and made a clicking sound on rotation at full extent of the dampers .

1 hour ago, musicjon1975 said:

Haha ok will try that in the morning. Have also ordered replacement gears but could only find original ones in the US so might take a bit to get here... Will clean them all and send pics - thanks again,

Re-re gears will fit

13 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

The 5mm washer shim and the W3 spacer need to be there as well as the bearings , so if they are not present then the gears will seperate . In my experience , the W3 should be replaced with an 850 bronze bush as the W3 can still leave too much play . The 5mm washer shim can then be adjusted to a thinner shim if needed , or removed - trial and error due to any previous wear in the gearbox and components , adjust until the gears rotate smoothly . As you said before you have shortened the dampers to raise the arms , this is good as the vintage hex's did bind in the inner drive joints as the arms dropped too low and caused excessive wear to the hex's and made a clicking sound on rotation at full extent of the dampers .

OK so will take some pictures as I disassemble - starting to think this might be the problem. In the manual the main pictures don;t show either the washer or the W3 but now looking again it is sneaked top left :wacko: - looks like this is the issue (fingers crossed)...

16 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

I'm not seeing any 5mm shim washer or W3 spacer in your parts there , so you may be getting some sideways movement within the gearbox seperating the gear mesh

This is everything from the gearbox. 

5BE5A647-B57F-44D6-B20C-4E2B551CA18C.jpeg

As I thought , no washer shim or spacer W3 , they need to go in . The hex shaft on the left looks like the lower hex is quite rounded , but it might just be the pic making it look like that . If it is rounded then that could be your noise if it is slipping with the outer or inner joint ( gearbox end or wheel end depending on which way round you fit it  ) and the large bevel gear on the left looks to be worn , but again it could be the light in pic. - does it appear more worn than the large bevel gear on right in pic ? .

there is even one more washer missing, the "Differential Washer (Tool Bag)" , that one goes in Step 20 (Assembly of Gear Case R)  between W2 and Bevel Gear R

35 minutes ago, a.w.k. said:

there is even one more washer missing, the "Differential Washer (Tool Bag)" , that one goes in Step 20 (Assembly of Gear Case R)  between W2 and Bevel Gear R

Can’t see that in the manual?

image.jpg

14 minutes ago, musicjon1975 said:

Can’t see that in the manual?

Screenshot_20201114-152730_Drive.thumb.jpg.17f58ea01473c1b7cc5baf62eb1fface.jpg

manual printed 8504

1 hour ago, a.w.k. said:

Screenshot_20201114-152730_Drive.thumb.jpg.17f58ea01473c1b7cc5baf62eb1fface.jpg

manual printed 8504

The ' stamped ' diff washer is from the Wild One kit , the vintage FAV doesn't have this

As I said before , you can use an 850 bearing and a 5mm shim washer , easily available , and is the modern replacement for W3 and the washer

5 hours ago, musicjon1975 said:

This is everything from the gearbox. 

5BE5A647-B57F-44D6-B20C-4E2B551CA18C.jpeg

Some of the teeth on the spur gear are completely squared off at the 5 o'clock position, but the rest of the teeth are fine. Might be worth investigating.

Ok so little update my end. Having played with adding spacers etc and rebuilding the gearbox it seems (in my newbie opinion) that either the short hex shaft teeth are too worn OR the internal teeth of the metal gears are also worn. When I put the gearbox together and turn the hex bolts independently they quite often sound like they are slipping (and big gear (you see through engine mounting) isn’t moving)

Feels like I am going to end up with a Victorian broom!!!