Jpmdly

Best Tamiya Chasis for a Crawler

What is the best chasis for a crawler? And what set-up should i have (motor, esc, battery etc) Feel free to share your thoughts. 

What do you mean by "crawler" ?  Do you mean a 2.2 comp rig with an odd-looking rock buggy body which will climb just about anything you throw it at, or a 1.9 Class 2 with scale-correct running gear and an attractive body?

Either way, I'm going to be controversial and say the best Tamiya chassis for a crawler is an Axial, MST or Gmade.  Or even a Traxxas, if that's your thing.

The one that Tamiya would like you to think is a crawler would be the CR-01, and when it was new it was pretty much doing what all the other crawlers were doing, but the game has moved on a very long way since then.  I'm not really into 2.2 comp crawling but I dare say you could make something workable with a CR-01 if you wanted to customise, I can't really advise on how you'd do that.

If it was more of a scale crawler that you wanted then the best current chassis from Tamiya would be the CC02.  I don't have one (yet) but there's a lot of discussion about it over in the General forum.  General consensus is it's a good chassis out of the box, but as a proper crawler it's outperformed by the competition.  Tamiya (and possibly Japan in general) don't seem to get the crawler scene and so have made something more suitable for trailing (which the CC01 excelled at) than proper crawling.

The CC02 would almost certainly be capable if you wanted to custom-build something into a good-looking and well-performing crawler, but the MST CFX is probably a better starting point for the same money.  It really depends on how important that double star badge is.  For a full-size crawler, the SCX-10 III is the new industry standard, and there's plenty of competition from Gmade, Traxxas, MST and a host of other names. Nothing Tamiya makes comes close.

There are also the 3-speeds and the Hi-Lift trucks, but these are more scale models than crawlers.  That's not to same you couldn't modify them (people have done so) but you're spending a lot of money to end up with a lot of parts you won't use.

• Like 5

Thanks Mad Ax! So far you have summed everything about Tamiya and crawlers - there really is no decent one! Currently leaning towards an Axial (scx24 for starters) 

• Like 1

Its funny, a car channel on YT dedicated mainly on Tamiya asked what you would to see from Tamiya. I said a crawler/rock racer on par with Axial/Carisma/Gmade.

Always thought Tamiya are missing the boat here,lets be honest many of the Tamiya platforms are very alike.

• Like 2

If crawling is you what you're really aiming for, then Tamiya is not the brand to look into. As @Mad Ax had mentioned, Axial, MST, Gmade, Traxxas, and let me add RC4WD, HPI are all much better crawlers than Tamiya. Then there are cheaper alternatives from Xtraspeed, RGT and Austar.