Saito2

Losi LMT Monster Truck

@Carmine A completely understood.  I was very underwhelmed when I first opened the box and had a look at the LMT.  I kept wondering how all of the "reviewers" could have missed all of the little things I saw.  After looking it over for the past few days (still not running yet), I have come to appreciate it for what it is - another solid axle monster truck that I will end up modifying, just like all of the others before it.  I have also realized that thing thing is beefy and will take a lot more abuse than anything before in in the class. Still love my Clods/SMTs/TXTs and always will, but I think with a bit of work it's going to be a great runner.

Glad to hear about your good fortune, a modified Clod is always a good way to use it :)  I do remember pulling, that was big back in the day.  I never got involved, but always thought it was cool and yes, it cost big $$$ to be competitive.  That's probably why I never got involved, back then I could barely afford a stock Clod...

Those Mud Slingers are beastly tires.  I've always meant to get a pair for my Clod crawler, just never got around to it...If you put them on stock wheels then that's definitely the most inexpensive way to upgrade tires.  Let me know how you like them, I want a set.

• Thanks 1

So, I've had the LMT for a week now and due to having absolutely no time on my hands I haven't done much with it, but made a few more observations and a few small updates while waiting on my motor.  First, if you get one, go through all hardware and make sure its secure.  I mentioned the front end being loose in my first post, all of the 4-link bar hardware was loose, front end is nice and tight now.  Also found some other stuff loose so be sure to check everything (still wish it was a kit).  One of the things I was irritated with was the 3 degree rear hubs with give negative toe in the rear.  In the box were actually 0 degree hubs if you want to run it that way.  Nice of them to include, but I received an extra 3 degree hub and a 0 degree hub, so much for that idea...messaged them and they're sending a new set, nice that they stand behind their product.

As far as the truck itself, I ended up lettering the sponsor plates, painting the faux headers with VHT header paint, made some chassis adjustments, and painted the wheels.  Painting the wheels was a pain because they're glued, but they came out OK.  Defeinitely not perfect due to the slippy glue job by the factory.  Not going to use these anyway, realized with the 17mm hex they will work on my Mad Force and I have been looking for proper monster tires for that off and on for years, so this actually worked out great.  Painted the entire inside of the wheel black to hide the goofy larger diameter.  Still bothers me, but a bit less than before.

Decided to go with 4-wheel steering and ordered the necessary parts for that.  Going to use DS3218 PRO servos (have had great luck with them) with Kimbrough 124 servo savers.  

Still not sure on the body...Pretty sure the cage is going bye bye, but I really hate to do that.  I could go with a panel van style body to keep it, but whats the point as you wouldnt see it anyway.  Also have a few Grave Diggers in the fleet and want a pickup body on this.  Tried a bunch of bodies that I had lying around, the clear body is a JConcepts 79 Ford crawler body that might look nice, possibly another big blue Ford.  The other bodies are from other trucks, the 79 is an old HPI body (wheelbase too short), and th 66 Ford is a Proline that actually fits pretty well.  Still not tall enough to fir the cage though.  If anyone has any ideas on a pickup body that might be deep/tall enough to work with the cage I'm all ears.  

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

• Like 7

@87lc2 The 66 F100 definitely looks the business!!! 👍👍  I can see what some others have said... The Cage has odd proportions, that makes a lot of good potential Bodies not fit - unless you're willing to hack up your new Roll Cage. 😖 

I've also heard about the loose Screws. You'll find it on anyone's Rig - but the inflated Hype of the LMT makes it far more prevalent. But I still feel that the list of bugs in a $600 RC is much less than acceptable. 

Of course the SMT-10 had its Elephant in the room. Still does! And it shouldn't have been an issue....  The AR-60 is one of Axial's strongest Axles! In a Bomber or Wraith, they're brilliant.  Aluminum Housings is really the only Upgrade you NEED.  Matter of fact, my 7 year old Wraith STILL has its ORIGINAL Axles!! Only thing I changed was the Diff Gears. That only, because I opted for 43/13 Underdrive Gears. 😉  The past 3 years it's been on Brushless Power! 

BUT, when the AR-60 went on the SMT-10.... Durability sank FAST!  The Monster Truck KILLS perfectly good Axles.  I'm sure it's got a lot to do with the SMT Wheels, that have an unhealthy amount of positive offset. Tires that big, poking out THAT far....  When someone starts using it - like a Monster Truck!  They'll BREAK.  Usually shearing the Hubs off. 

Then the venerable old Clod... Tub cracking and splitting, unless you add bracing FIRST.  But the biggest issue that they NEVER bothered to fix.....

The "Steering"!!  If you said that the Steering SUCKS, that would a0ctually be a compliment. 😳😖😖   Yeah, it's THAT bad.

Thing is, the Aftermarket has come through on both!! AR-60 Aluminum or Stainless Axle Housings, Underdrive Gears - to better cope with the big Tires, and, different Wheels with more centered Hubs, to greatly reduce stress on the Bearings.

For the Clod......... well - what CAN'T you get for a Clodbuster!!! Of course big items like the Frame Tub; Aluminum, Steel, Titanium, Magnesium, etc.... 

But the best and most often forgotten, Motor Gear Reduction. These things are harder to find now, but they're out there.

Thing still is - BOTH of these Rigs COMBINED - cost LESS than one LMT!!! 😳  Losi needs to be mindful of that.

• Like 1

Yea, the cage is odd on the LMT, probably my biggest gripe at this point.  Thinking of cutting it, but need to make sure to keep the lower mounting points.  Not sure if I feel like going through the trouble, might ditch it for now. 

Funny, I've only had the AR60s on monster trucks so I think they're garbage :)  Not really garbage , but they could be a lot better for monster truck duty.  It also annoys me that they have offset pumpkins, I usually swap to SSD centered rear axles on my SMTs, looks way better.

I think the Clod steering is a clever design and actually can be made to work quite well stock.  In my stock trucks I keep the center mounted servo and use a 35k unit and also swap the long links front to back from how the manual says and attach them to the bottom of the steering arms and they work much better.  That was probably hard to follow and doesnt make sense, but it corrects the main geometry issue and that along with cutting the steering stops from the knuckle will give some pretty good steering out of the stock system.  Of course the rears will always turn more than the front with this setup, but for a stock truck it's pretty good.  With that said, as soon as I start modifying a Clod the servos go on the axles and yes, it works much better no matter how much you do with the stock steering system.

Sort of itching to get this LMT running at this point.  It's definitely growing on me after the few small changes and after inspecting the components closely it looks like it will hold up well.  Also will be nice to have 4 wheel steering like a proper monster.  I haven't watched any videos on it recently, I'll have to see what other people are doing with it so far.

• Like 2

Been slow progress on this, too many other things going on.  I did end up receiving the motor and mounted it this morning.  Had to use a couple of spacers as the shaft would have hit the gearbox cover and really didnt want to cut the shaft, should be fine.  Motor is a huge 1/8 scale Castle 2650kv, looks great in there.  

Also converted the rear axle for steering and mounted 20kg servos on each axle.  Just waiting on a new ESC fan for my MM2 and can get here running.  Still haven't given any more thought to the body, but should have it running soon...

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_0480.JPG

• Like 3

It's finally a runner!  Shows how much time I have these days...I haven't driven it much, but this truck is a beast.  With the 1/8 scale system in it the torque is unreal and the chassis handles it perfectly.  Without a doubt the best handling solid axle monster our of the box ever, no question.  It launches dead straight and stays pretty planted through the corners, suspension works as well as a solid axle monster setup could.

Going to use a body I had lying around for now and ditch the cage, I'll figure out something for that later (will most likely end up cutting it to make it work).  Hoping I get a chance to paint it within the next few weeks.

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

It's finally a runner!  Shows how much time I have these days...I haven't driven it much, but this truck is a beast.  With the 1/8 scale system in it the torque is unreal and the chassis handles it perfectly.  Without a doubt the best handling solid axle monster our of the box ever, no question.  It launches dead straight and stays pretty planted through the corners, suspension works as well as a solid axle monster setup could.

Going to use a body I had lying around for now and ditch the cage, I'll figure out something for that later (will most likely end up cutting it to make it work).  Hoping I get a chance to paint it within the next few weeks.

Looks great. I slapped a body on mine but kept the cage underneath (Thunder Chicken scheme) and have yet to run it. It's been so dang cold, I can't stand to be outside. I have a Mamber Monster and a 2200.  How well does the 4 wheel steering do?

1 minute ago, tamiya_1971 said:

Looks great. I slapped a body on mine but kept the cage underneath (Thunder Chicken scheme) and have yet to run it. It's been so dang cold, I can't stand to be outside. I have a Mamber Monster and a 2020.  How well does the 4 wheel steering do?

Nice, post some pictures if you get a chance.  The 4-wheel steering is great, since the rear axles are 2-piece dog bone style it's as easy as putting some knuckles on.  I have it at about 50% rate on the rear steer and really like how it drives.  Not really a fan of 2-wheel steer on a monster truck, but some of my race trucks (SMT10) are still 2-wheel steer, less moving parts to worry about.  

• Like 1

I love that bottom panel on yours with the sponsor stickers. I need to do that and set up 4 wheel steering in the future.

RSwrnHI.jpg

mAhsD7U.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

It's finally a runner!  Shows how much time I have these days...

remember that SMT10 I started building weeks ago..?  Well, I've done the axles and the shocks...

Anyhoo - looking great, I was hoping I wouldn't put any more big stuff on my wish list for '21 but I'm thinking I might have to get one of these now, fingers crossed they consider a builder's kit option, that would make it so much more appealing.

9 hours ago, tamiya_1971 said:

I love that bottom panel on yours with the sponsor stickers. I need to do that and set up 4 wheel steering in the future.

Lookin good, love the Thunder Chicken.  I did an SMT10 with a similar body - https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=136719&id=49562

I love doing decals so I always sticker up the sponsor plates on all my monster trucks, looks much better that way.  For 4WS, it's probably easiest to just buy the front axle set, it's cheap and comes with everything you will need (Hubs, Knuckles, servo plate, steering linkage, etc.)  

2 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

remember that SMT10 I started building weeks ago..?  Well, I've done the axles and the shocks...

Anyhoo - looking great, I was hoping I wouldn't put any more big stuff on my wish list for '21 but I'm thinking I might have to get one of these now, fingers crossed they consider a builder's kit option, that would make it so much more appealing.

Of course, I've been waiting on you to post more on your SMT10 thread.  Interested to see how it will come out and what you think of the truck.  Actually just bought a couple more SMT10 kits as I have a few more ideas for new trucks and I enjoy building them.  Not sure when I'll have time to do them, but that's a problem for another day...

I agree, a builder's kit for the LMT would be nice, but with all of the loose hardware they ship with you'll have plenty of wrenching to do when it arrives anyway :)   If you're into RC monsters I would definitely recommend.  I can confidently say it's the best out of the box truck and it's actually a good value for the money.  I still see people complaining about the pricing, but I think it's very reasonable for what you're getting.  Can't wait until we get some better weather and I can really give it a good run.

4 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Lookin good, love the Thunder Chicken.  I did an SMT10 with a similar body - https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=136719&id=49562

I love doing decals so I always sticker up the sponsor plates on all my monster trucks, looks much better that way.  For 4WS, it's probably easiest to just buy the front axle set, it's cheap and comes with everything you will need (Hubs, Knuckles, servo plate, steering linkage, etc.)  

Your SMT looks great! I have never seen the chicken until I was out on Team CPE and was looking at decals.  They have some pretty cool sets and it looks like MCI makes them. I’ll have to get the 4ws parts now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tamiya_1971 said:

Your SMT looks great! I have never seen the chicken until I was out on Team CPE and was looking at decals.  They have some pretty cool sets and it looks like MCI makes them. I’ll have to get the 4ws parts now. 

Thanks.  Yea, the Chicken was a cool truck that was local to me as a kid so always had a thing for it.  The MCI decals are great, have used a lot of theirs on other trucks and never had an issue.  

Just order this for the front axle, it will have everything you need (including hardware) so you dont have to go buying everything piece-by-piece.  Bonus is you'll have a spare axle housing on hand already in case you ever need one - https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/axle-housing-set-complete-front-lmt/LOS242031.html

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Thanks.  Yea, the Chicken was a cool truck that was local to me as a kid so always had a thing for it.  The MCI decals are great, have used a lot of theirs on other trucks and never had an issue.  

Just order this for the front axle, it will have everything you need (including hardware) so you dont have to go buying everything piece-by-piece.  Bonus is you'll have a spare axle housing on hand already in case you ever need one - https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/axle-housing-set-complete-front-lmt/LOS242031.html

Nice! Thank you, ordering one. God knows I need extra parts. :)

Finally got a body painted for this thing.  First time I've used Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome paint and I love this stuff!  Used it on the bumpers and wish I found it much sooner, gives a really convincing chrome look on lexan.  Body is PS16 Metallic Blue backed with PS41 Bright Silver and then backed with Black.  Bed is painted on the outside in matte black.  

Haven't gotten to run the truck more, or run any RCs for that matter, weather has been terrible here the past month or so.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

• Like 7

That looks great!  I know some people are cracking their axle housings, I wonder how good the insert is from RH Designs (looks like Facebook only sales) Any thoughts on their part? I thought I'd be proactive by spending 30 bucks now and fix before rather than cracking a housing, spending $40 then getting the inserts. 

• Like 1

I haven't run mine enough yet to break anything :)  I haven't watched much on these lately, but have heard a bit about the housings breaking.  I have to wonder if that's from doing things with the truck that it was not intended for.  I use my trucks mostly for racing and scale-like monster truck activities, I dont use them as all out bashers.  For now I'm not going to do anything with it, just run/race it as is and see how it goes.  Nothing wrong with installing the RH pieces, looks like they will work pretty well and fill some of the empty space in there.  I'll just wait and see what it does stock before bothering.  

• Like 1

That looks absolutely stunning.  Love the pick up body on it.  Do you think it will have enough support (body) without the cage?  And are those body posts the ones that come in the kit, as an alternative to using the cage?  Or are they from another kit?  I take it they're just bolted through existing holes in the TVP chassis?

3 hours ago, thegorf said:

That looks absolutely stunning.  Love the pick up body on it.  Do you think it will have enough support (body) without the cage?  And are those body posts the ones that come in the kit, as an alternative to using the cage?  Or are they from another kit?  I take it they're just bolted through existing holes in the TVP chassis?

Thank you!  The cage was not structural at all so it won't be an issue.  The aluminum side plates are what really make up the chassis, the cage was just for looks.  Unlike the SMT10 where the cage is the actual chassis.  Yes, I used the included body mounts that came with the truck.  They simply bolt to existing holes in the aluminum chassis.  It was nice that they made those holes and included the mounts, I guess they figured some people would want to run normal pickup bodies on them.  One bonus with losing the cage is the weight, it's pretty heavy and removing it does lower the center of gravity a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's mine. Please excuse the paint job. I am only expert of 1 color paint scheme. I call this the red back paint scheme :

IMG_7238.jpg

IMG_7237.jpg

IMG_7225.jpg

• Like 6

Nice looking F100 you have there, works surprising well on the LMT chassis - is that the Savage/Revo 2.5 version?  And BTW, I'm a one colour paint guy as well... :D

31 minutes ago, thegorf said:

Nice looking F100 you have there, works surprising well on the LMT chassis - is that the Savage/Revo 2.5 version?  And BTW, I'm a one colour paint guy as well... :D

:D I think it's the Stampede version

Finally took the LMT out for a spin yesterday. The 7.4v Lipo with the Castle Mamba Monster and 2200kv motor seem to be a perfect combo. Does it wheelie? No. But it’s controllable and a blast to drive. My only broken part on this truck was the garbage JConcepts body. It cracked in two spots already. I didn’t bash it, just had your typical rolls in the driveway and yard. The only body I have ever had anything crack like that on the first outing was Redcat bodies. Those are terrible. I equate this JConcepts body to that. 

I also read the Losi is supposed to have an update to their axle issue. 
Part: LOS242055

• Like 1

Does anyone have any good recommendations for body shells for the LMT (without cage) that are available in the UK? I'm struggling to find any in stock.