simalarion

Agrios 4 wheel steering setup - Help

In order to help me here i believe you had to build this kit yourself (or similar).

I have bught 2 servos (stil waiting for them though) but first off all i can see in the manual it its Optional, so should i just use 2 wheel steering?.

If i should go for 4 wheel steering i actually do not understand the Manual, on page 17 there is s standard setup (but it dont say that i need to do the setup twice, so this must be standard 2 wheel steering setup). On page 21 there is a Option part that say 4 wheel steering that is somehow different, it does not say do the same 2 times, so do i do this exact step 2 times? (same front and Back), it also say Cut off, but i can not see what they want me to cut off?. EDIT: Found a small writing beside the servo on page 21 that says  - Steering servo (for Rear), so then i belive page 17 is for front ant page 21 is for Rear.

Do i have to program the RC Radio  for the 4 wheel steering?. 

You're correct, although you may initially assume the front and rear steering setups maybe the same, they are not.

To get up and running quickly I have used servo extension leads for both servos which are then connected to a Y adaptor.

This gives a simple four wheel steer and does not need any additional programming

At a later date I plan to connect both servos and use the third channel of the radio.

• Thanks 1

Mine was from eBay, China, pack of 5 for approx £5 Inc delivery, took weeks to arrive.....I knew this in advance because I had the agrios back in 2014 after its initial release.

Those ones look very chunky, try and get slimmer versions? Although there's plenty of space, plus don't forget servo extensions, it allows you to neatly wire it all up

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2020 at 9:41 PM, simalarion said:

In order to help me here i believe you had to build this kit yourself (or similar).

I have bught 2 servos (stil waiting for them though) but first off all i can see in the manual it its Optional, so should i just use 2 wheel steering?.

If i should go for 4 wheel steering i actually do not understand the Manual, on page 17 there is s standard setup (but it dont say that i need to do the setup twice, so this must be standard 2 wheel steering setup). On page 21 there is a Option part that say 4 wheel steering that is somehow different, it does not say do the same 2 times, so do i do this exact step 2 times? (same front and Back), it also say Cut off, but i can not see what they want me to cut off?. EDIT: Found a small writing beside the servo on page 21 that says  - Steering servo (for Rear), so then i belive page 17 is for front ant page 21 is for Rear.

Do i have to program the RC Radio  for the 4 wheel steering?. 

How did this work out for you? I've been wrecking my brain trying to figure out how to make the wheels turn in opposite direction, but no luck so far. 

On 4/25/2021 at 4:17 AM, Robert5000 said:

How did this work out for you? I've been wrecking my brain trying to figure out how to make the wheels turn in opposite direction, but no luck so far. 

Just flip one of the servos around in the mount (and swap the short steering link to the opposite knuckle), or use a "reversing" Y-harness.  

3 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Just flip one of the servos around in the mount (and swap the short steering link to the opposite knuckle), or use a "reversing" Y-harness.  

I did try to flip the servo, and changed the steering link + but I'm starting to think I made a blunder because the result was the same. But then I found out about the reversing Y harness thingy, so that's sorted now. Next on the list is to figure out how powerful servos I need as 15 kg doesn't do the trick. 

4 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

I did try to flip the servo, and changed the steering link + but I'm starting to think I made a blunder because the result was the same. But then I found out about the reversing Y harness thingy, so that's sorted now. Next on the list is to figure out how powerful servos I need as 15 kg doesn't do the trick. 

Reversing y-harness will do it, but ideally you'd want the rear servo on channel 3 and either use a switch or channel mixing for 4ws, much better that way.  I'd recommend 25kg servos for the truck, that should be all you need. I run 20-25kg in most of my monster trucks and they work great. 

21 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

mine is on twin 15kg servos, seems fine? I had to reduce steering rate down to 50% because 4WS was too sharp!

18 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Reversing y-harness will do it, but ideally you'd want the rear servo on channel 3 and either use a switch or channel mixing for 4ws, much better that way.  I'd recommend 25kg servos for the truck, that should be all you need. I run 20-25kg in most of my monster trucks and they work great. 

My yard is sort of a cliff, so the Agrios is for driving slowly on the rock steps and avoid it catapulting itself into the fjord, so ideally I want the wheels on both axles to turn at the same time. To achieve this I thought I'd have to have both servos in one channel, just goes to show that I'm grasping at straws here :D  The box for my flysky says it has 3 channels, so I'll have to try to plug the rear servo into channel 3. Brilliant, 25 kg it is! Thanks! 

32 minutes ago, taffer said:

mine is on twin 15kg servos, seems fine? I had to reduce steering rate down to 50% because 4WS was too sharp!

Oh! My 15 kg Savox are barely able to turn the wheels when I'm on/inbetween rocks, and I have to have some speed before I'd describe the turning as sharp. Keep in mind this is the first time I've built and run something that isn't a buggy, so I'm drawing a blank on most things that aren't plug and play :)  

ah ok, im not rock climbing or anything....Im just running on grass undulations or tarmac, maybe some small jumps

Yeah, on flat paved surface here 15 kg seems enough, but since I'm attempting to use it for proper off road/rock climbing I guess I'll have to go for more powerful servos.