Aerobert

TLT-01 wheels on DT-02. Help needed!

Good afternoon everyone!

I'm currently rebuilding the DT-02 Super Fighter G which I have recently bought. The car should be a birthday present to my nephew. As it is important to keep the costs low for this project I am trying to use as much as I can from my own pool of parts. I have a set of four TLT-1 wheels I would like to use them as the car should get a monster touch. I've bought the GPM hex adapters for the front wheels and tried to fit them today. It is possible to mount them but it will be impossible to steer the car. 

IMG_20201114_160045_compress25.thumb.jpg.6916423bd8004df5932b1dd419902cb3.jpg

Is there a possibility to change the steering parts for a better fit? Maybe some DT-02 experts here know what I can do to make those wheels work.

Thanks!

It looks like you need front axles with a shorter, slightly offset track rod attachment point, such as part number 54154.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

It looks like you need front axles with a shorter, slightly offset track rod attachment point, such as part number 54154.

Good Morning TurnipJF,

thanks a lot for your help. This was the information I was looking for. On a first look it seems like 54154 will be a direct fit into the DT-02 C-Hubs. Can you or someone else confirm that?

5 minutes ago, Aerobert said:

Good Morning TurnipJF,

thanks a lot for your help. This was the information I was looking for. On a first look it seems like 54154 will be a direct fit into the DT-02 C-Hubs. Can you or someone else confirm that?

I can indeed confirm it as a direct fit. I use them when I want to do silly things like run Formula 1 foam tyres on my DT buggies, as the are the same parts that the F103 uses. The only things that need adjustment are the track rods, which need to be shortened a little to account for the offset ball connector position. 

• Thanks 1

To use those axles you'll also need to buy 4mm ball ends, 4mm ball connectors and some different tie rods to get them to work. The standard DT02 ones are 5mm with an m3 thread, which won't fit into the holes on 54154.

I wrote a guide on how to convert a DT02 to hex-drive front wheels but youll need to buy some bits from 3Racing and 4 bearings:

• Thanks 1

...or you could simply drill out the holes a little and use standard hardware like I did.

Alternatively, 5mm ball connectors P/N 9804154 bolt straight in.

• Like 1

If you apply heat to those steering arms from say a hot air paint stripper you can gently bend those arms in to give the clearance required. Put under a cold running tap to quickly cure the plastic.  As above you will need to shorten the steering arms 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

To use those axles you'll also need to buy 4mm ball ends, 4mm ball connectors and some different tie rods to get them to work. The standard DT02 ones are 5mm with an m3 thread, which won't fit into the holes on 54154.

I wrote a guide on how to convert a DT02 to hex-drive front wheels but youll need to buy some bits from 3Racing and 4 bearings:

I think I will do the conversion on my next DT-02. For this one I've already got the GPM adapters. I think I will carefully drill out the holes or maybe I have some smaller ball conectors from my Mini Inferno.

10 hours ago, Toolmaker72 said:

If you apply heat to those steering arms from say a hot air paint stripper you can gently bend those arms in to give the clearance required. Put under a cold running tap to quickly cure the plastic.  As above you will need to shorten the steering arms 

That would normally be the way I would try it. But in this case the arms have already been bend and are a little bit weak. But thanks for your input.

On 11/16/2020 at 3:27 PM, Aerobert said:

I think I will do the conversion on my next DT-02. For this one I've already got the GPM adapters. I think I will carefully drill out the holes or maybe I have some smaller ball conectors from my Mini Inferno.

That would normally be the way I would try it. But in this case the arms have already been bend and are a little bit weak. But thanks for your input.

Reading this post. How did it go with the car?

By the way someone is selling TLT-1 wheels in my area.  What is the tire hole diameter and width.   I would Ike to see if it fits my monster beetle stock wheels

7 hours ago, Frankster said:

Reading this post. How did it go with the car?

By the way someone is selling TLT-1 wheels in my area.  What is the tire hole diameter and width.   I would Ike to see if it fits my monster beetle stock wheels

Interesting timing for your question. Funnily enough I've just got the car on the bench as it doesn't work anymore.  Some issues with the cheap TX/RX as it seems.

The F103 axles working well, no issues with them although the car gets some hard bashing.

I don't think the Monster Beetle tires will fit the TLT-1 wheels as those wheels have a different diameter on the inside and outside of the wheel. Therefore only TLT-1 tires will fit. 

Thanks. Actually I am looking at it the other way around and putting larger TLT1 tires on MBeetle rims.  Any thoughts if it would work this way?

TLT-1 tires are smaller than MB tires and have the same issue with the bigger diameter on the inside of the wheel.

If you are looking for bigger tires for your MB check eBay for 363470295860. Choose the 135x73 mm tires. They will give your MB a much better Monster Truck look and fit the MB wheels. I have them on my WR-01. Maybe you have to gear down the truck a little bit. 

47 minutes ago, Aerobert said:

TLT-1 tires are smaller than MB tires and have the same issue with the bigger diameter on the inside of the wheel.

If you are looking for bigger tires for your MB check eBay for 363470295860. Choose the 135x73 mm tires. They will give your MB a much better Monster Truck look and fit the MB wheels. I have them on my WR-01. Maybe you have to gear down the truck a little bit. 

Thanks.  I can also install Lunch Box tires.  I have heard a few other who have done things before