Golden

TT-02 garden/rally car...

I’ve just built a TT-02 Subaru Impreza - and would like to use it in Rally spec for bashing around my garden - not going to be used on tarmac I don’t think. 

I know it's not an off road buggy - but please could someone recommend some good shocks for it as there are loads of options, but I’m not sure if they’re all tarmac focussed?

There are a some great videos on modifying the chassis and a lot of general info on hop ups - but I haven’t seen exactly which shocks seem best for a slightly higher ground clearance/rally/back garden basher. 

Many thanks!

When I wanted to lower my ta01 as it sat too high, I just used shorter lower eyelets and it sat 5mm lower, I would do the opposite if I wanted an extra bit of height and just use ball cups and studs with a couple of turns out on the thread.

When I did my TL-01 Bowler, I also used longer bottom eyelets to give a longer eye-to-eye length. It might be wise to start there before buying more dampers.

Ah that’s helpful and will definitely help the ride height. The tt-02 doesn’t have oil filled shocks though - they’re often described as pogo sticks... so I was also hoping to improve the damping. I guess any compatible shock body will work - the damping effect comes down to the internal piston resistance (holes in the piston?) and oil used?

Most shocks will be fine, as long as they attach to the chassis the same way, I had to change the screws that held my ta01 shocks on as I have used schumacher touring car shocks. I bought a cheap aftermarket set for my truck, yet to be tested off road due to the lockdown, but they seem to work okay.

I find the Tamiya Mini CVA shocks to be a versatile set, supplied with two different lower eyelet lengths and two different internal spacers giving you a variety of length options. They work great for rally, where their black plastic bodies hide the inevitable scuffs and scratches that make anodized alloy shocks look tatty in no time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I find the Tamiya Mini CVA shocks to be a versatile set

Ask what is possibly the most stupid question that you've heard in a while, but when you buy a set of Mini CVA's do you get enough bits to build two shocks only, or four please?

I'm asking as if it's necessary to buy two sets, it's almost £50 for one vehicle. At that price, aren't G-Made or Yeah Racing aluminium bodied shocks a viable option? 

Part number 53619 is a set of 4 and is £27 including uk delivery on ebay. So still not cheap. 

They come as standard on a lot of older touring chassis - if you really want the plastic ones and don't want to pay full price you could buy a second-hand older car and swap the pogo sticks over and re-sell it. Seems like a lot of work though, and no guarantee you'll get the extension parts included. 

They are good quality though and I've never had any leaking problems with them over the years. I can't vouch for yeah racing or G made, as I've never used them. The one set of cheap aluminium shocks I ever bought (gpm) started leaking immediately. 

37 minutes ago, EvilSpike said:

I'm asking as if it's necessary to buy two sets, it's almost £50 for one vehicle. At that price, aren't G-Made or Yeah Racing aluminium bodied shocks a viable option? 

Yeah racing are designed to be a direct replacement for Tamiya TRF shocks at a more budget-friendly price point. I have a few, and while I'm still convinced they fall short of actual TRF shocks in quality, they do get the job done and I haven't had any leaks. So I'd vouch for them if you want to get those.

I use the Yeah Racing Shock Gear alloy bodied ones on my on-road cars where they won't get all scratched up within the first few runs, and Tamiya plastic-bodied or aftermarket plain silver alloy ones on my offroaders where the inevitable scratches won't show. Whichever shocks I choose, I fit them with genuine Tamiya 0-rings to keep them from leaking around the shafts.

• Like 1

Many thanks. So... either yeah racing 65mm or the mini CVA’s. I’d assumed the TRF shocks are more for tarmac race cars - so not quite what I’m after? I’m only bashing about in my garden - but equally don’t want to buy rubbish (and quite like improving the cars with upgrades...). 

Thanks for everyone’s input. 

• Like 1

Almost any oil shock will be an upgrade compared to the stock pogo sticks, so all of your options will tick that box. The TRFs are excellent bits of kit, but expensive and utter overkill for garden bashing. Now if you were on your way to an international championship event...

• Thanks 1