Sign in to follow this  
YGBSM

Help pick first Tamiya for 8 year old

Background:  I have a Frog, Super Hornet , and Avante.  My 8 year old son has indicated a strong interest in RC cars, but doesn’t have his own. He’s driven my Super Hornet and does pretty well.  We started looking at cars for him for Christmas.  Styling is VERY important to him and he likes the BigWig, Dark Impact, and Super Storm Dragon the most. He also likes the Avante Black but I think that’s a little too much for an 8 year old😊

Obviously Super Storm Dragon would be my first choice as it is cheapest, fun to drive, and based on the nearly indestructible Hornet.  But it’s not his top choice.

I like the BigWig for nostalgia, the bathtub frame, and the full width bumper.  I’ve read about the need for a hi torque steering servo.  Is it easy to build?  Easy to drive?

I don’t know much about the Dark Impact, it may be too advanced for him.  

I would really appreciate your opinions on which to get!  Thanks!

Are you looking for a new kit to build or a car someone else has built already? Because I can't see any bigwig for sale?

Dark impact looks awesome but I think you would regret the lack of front bumper!

New kit to build.  BigWig reissue kits are still in stock in a couple of places.

I'd say the Super storm dragon would be my first choice for the reasons you listed above. The bigwig has been absolutely perfect for me, although I can't comment on the durability since it is a gentle runner for me. The build was pretty easy for me, although I could see an 8 year old needing assistance for the steering rack, gearboxes and motor mount. I'm running a traxxas 2056 in mine, which is a fairly weak servo, so I don't think you need much more than 60 oz.in to turn it. I've never owned a Dark impact or any other cars on that chassis, so I can't give a solid recommendation on it. Feel free to ask me any questions about the Bigwig as I'd be happy to answer them. 

• Like 1

The Bigwig is available currently at Tower Hobbies in the US and has been for some time. Your analysis of the Super Storm Dragon is correct. The Bigwig is probably simpler than the Dark Impact. A servo with descent torque isn't a bad idea with the extra drag the rubber boots and steering rack system impose, but the system doesn't work bad at all. The first gen 4wd buggies like the Bigwig aren't as simple as a 2wd buggy, but I wouldn't call them overly complicated either. How much do you intend to help him in construction? I can think of a few spots that might be slightly tricky off the top of my head.

There are some tiny screws that hold the ball plates on, capturing the front ball joints, that could be tricky

The steering rack needs to be properly centered up with the pinion before its screwed together

The body has two main colors (plus black for the cockpit) that could be tricky to mask

The spacer plates that set the pinion mesh at the motor can be fiddly 

All these things can be seen in the manual online. Overall, its not that hard of a build, just a satisfying one. It will be fairly quick with the GT motor supplied but the buggy handles well (far better than a Super Hornet). It should be quite a different experience for him and a rewarding car to build and drive.

2wd is easier to build and less to go wrong so obvious choice but can be a bit frustrating if you are running on grass a lot as they just get stuck more than a 4wd which would drive me crazy if I was a kid.

Personally out of that list it would be bigwig.

If I was going off your list I would seriously consider a comical avante. But this has probably been discounted already by your son.

Edit: I see you are in America hence you can get a bigwig (not available easily in the UK), and may mean my comment on running on grass is of no importance to you...

@Saito2 totally forgot about those plates for the knuckles, they were a major pain to install. Speed with the stock motor should be fine, I clocked mine at about 17 mph with the smallest kit-supplied pinion (can't remember if it's 13 or 15 teeth) 

I'd say the most frustrating thing for a kid, or an adult for that matter, is breaking a part and having to wait for a replacement, or worse, being unable to find one. Of the three models under consideration, the Super Storm Dragon is the easiest to get parts for, so that would be my choice out of the three options presented.

However if the choice could be widened somewhat, I would suggest a DT-02 or DT-03 buggy instead. They perform well, are undemanding in terms of radio gear and parts are plentiful. There are many good-looking examples online. The Sand Viper is a particularly good-looking model IMO. If styling is an important factor, perhaps an image search for one of these might get him to change his mind?

Thanks guys this is really helpful.  I’ll be helping him build it, it will be a good father-son project.  Good to hear the BigWig handles better than a Super Hornet.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I'd say the most frustrating thing for a kid, or an adult for that matter, is breaking a part and having to wait for a replacement, or worse, being unable to find one. Of the three models under consideration, the Super Storm Dragon is the easiest to get parts for, so that would be my choice out of the three options presented.

However if the choice could be widened somewhat, I would suggest a DT-02 or DT-03 buggy instead. They perform well, are undemanding in terms of radio gear and parts are plentiful. There are many good-looking examples online. The Sand Viper is a particularly good-looking model IMO. If styling is an important factor, perhaps an image search for one of these might get him to change his mind?

Yes, I like the Sand Viper, he doesn’t.🙁. Good suggestion though