Juhunio

49400 30th Anniversary 934 RSR Rebuild

I'm a little bit obsessed with the 934 RSR shell, I personally think it's Tamiya's most beautiful. I loved building my 40th Anniversary TA02SW, and got a bit blue about the fact I got into this hobby about 20 years too late to have got the 30th Anniversary release!

And then, a couple of months ago, I found one! It was built, but an immaculate unused shelf queen. It had never even had a motor or servo installed in it, just a dry kit build

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

First job was to dismantle it and check everything was there; happily everything is present, down to the last 3mm spacer :)

spacer.png

It also came with a few hop ups either built in or in the box, which I've removed and bagged up separately:

Front spool, Centre One Way, Gold Aluminium Diff Joint

spacer.png

Servo mounts, servo horn, servo cap:

spacer.png

Battery plate, stabilizers and stoppers, blue drive belts, blue diff joints:

spacer.png

I've sold the original kit diff joints and the painted body shell. The gold aluminium hop up diff joint is up for sale, and at first glance it looks like the blue drive belts are too long so they'll probably go too. The original kit wheels and tyres are also having to go (a different, long story).

This is going to be a full runner, with a different livery, different wheels and tyres, blue aluminium diff joints and front and rear stabilisers. 

I'm not going to do too much else with it, so this won't hold much interest for the off-piste mod-heads out there.  But if you're into blue bling, this will be right up your street! 

I think it will be more of a reverential, step-by-step build of what is probably one of the most iconic kits Tamiya has ever made. Just without a big green frog of a shell on it at the end :lol:

• Like 7

If anyone has prior experience of building this or other TA05 variants, please feel free to weigh in! 

I'm guessing this was a shorter variation of the TA05, based on the wheelbase of the shell and the fact that the kit drive-belts seem a lot shorter than the TA05 Hop Up belts?

spacer.png

This 49400 Porsche is based on the 42103 TA05 MS, both of which are closer to TRF models than the regular TA05. In fact the MS has TRF printed on some parts, and comes in a TRF branded box.

Neither the MS nor the Porsche use the same length belts as the normal TA, and they don't share belts between each other either.

I wrote about the differences, which was added to the description of the Porsche on the main site: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/car.asp?cid=753

• Like 3

As TN says, they're all different - which seems mad, but makes sense. For a runner I would want some back-up belts (even though I've never worn-out an aramid belt on any of my cars. My TA05R has those blue belts and there are clearly cracks in them, but they're still holding up just fine!).

Look forward to following this build. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Truck Norris said:

This 49400 Porsche is based on the 42103 TA05 MS, both of which are closer to TRF models than the regular TA05. In fact the MS has TRF printed on some parts, and comes in a TRF branded box.

Neither the MS nor the Porsche use the same length belts as the normal TA, and they don't share belts between each other either.

I wrote about the differences, which was added to the description of the Porsche on the main site: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/car.asp?cid=753

Thanks Truck, that is really useful. Anything else you can help with along the way, please do!

18 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

As TN says, they're all different - which seems mad, but makes sense. For a runner I would want some back-up belts (even though I've never worn-out an aramid belt on any of my cars. My TA05R has those blue belts and there are clearly cracks in them, but they're still holding up just fine!).

Look forward to following this build. 

Thanks Chris, I had a look and the belts for the 49400 seem to either be out of stock right now or generally hard to get hold of, so I ordered two from Tony (he only had 3) as a back up!

So there are going to be a lot of photos in this thread! I started last night by just shooting the core parts as they are / were grouped together in the original kit.

Here are all the carbon fibre parts. I think the damper mount ball nuts had been affixed using some kind of threadlock as they were quite hard to budge, so I left them where they are.

Other than that, not a mark or scratch in sight :)

spacer.png

• Like 1

Here is Blister Pack A, with the original diff joins now sold on and substituted with the blue aluminium hop ups which were in the box, new in packet

spacer.png

This Blister Pack also originally included two of the wheel hubs, but I've left them out for now. I'm going to be using 26mm wheels instead of the kit 24mm, so not sure right now whether I will need 4, 5 or 6mm hex hubs

• Like 2

On to Blister Pack B, which includes the biggest bit of shiny blue aluminium I've ever seen; Motor Mount (Right) B)

Man, I could NOT get those springs to sit straight for a photo! Worse than toddlers...

spacer.png

• Like 1

This is the Bulk Head bag, with the suspension mounts and, err, bulk head parts amongst other things (centre shaft, pulley cap, motor mounts etc)

spacer.png

So far, apart from the 40th Anniversary TA02SW, I've only built tub chassis cars. And even that was a shaft drive with fairly familiar closed gearboxes. This is my first belt-drive build, on a CF double deck chassis, so I'm really intrigued about how all these pieces will combine to create the structural skeleton of the vehicle. 

• Like 2

The bearing bag is mostly the original parts, but I'm replacing the kit diff balls with the Ceramic Silicone Nitride option I've used in the couple of ball diffs I've built so far

I couldn't get the 1510 bearings out of the belt tensioners and decided not to force the matter as they're going back in there anyway!

spacer.png

Universal Shaft Bag, Shaft Bag and Spacer Bag, with every last grub screw present and correct

spacer.png

The four screw bags, Screw Bag D continuing the trend for shiny blue loveliness

spacer.png

• Like 1

And here are the drive belts, bumper and Tool Bag, containing the hi torque servo saver, tapes, spiral tube, spacers, body pins and shims

Oh, and the extra bits of servo-bling (horn, cap and mounts) that were in there too B)

spacer.png

Wheels, I'm....undecided. Definitely going to be 26mm rather than the kit 24, and it's then all about getting the offset right.

I LOVE these HPI rims, and they will suit the livery down to the ground, but they're only available in 6 or 9mm offset and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need 3mm for the front :(

spacer.png

So as a back up I have a couple of sets of cheap generic rims from the Far East which match the original kit design, either in gold or (my probable preference) black

spacer.png

• Like 3

So one wise man wearing the crown of Fedex visited today, bearing gifts from the East. Among the usual gold, myrrh and that other thing, was this

spacer.png

It's a very neat thing indeed, where you load the tube of cement into the applicator, and squeezing the buttons squeezes the tube and forces the glue out in a very controlled way via a choice of fine nozzles

spacer.png

My childhood memories of CA cement mainly involve my fingers stuck together with some part of an Airfix WW2 bomber stuck to my nose :lol:. But this thing makes it all verrrry clean and controlled. 

• Like 1

The arrival of the instant glue meant I could get going; on with page one! Well, page four actually, but you get the drift

spacer.png

The very first step is edging the lower deck with the instant cement. I broke the exam rules and read ahead, to confirm that all CF parts would need the same treatment, so did them all

spacer.png

• Like 1

First step is to assemble the motor mount. It's a very beautiful thing:

spacer.png

Then the spur gear, which itself looks like some kind of futuristic colosseum. In space.

spacer.png

Then bring them together with the flanged bearings, centre shaft and shaft stopper

spacer.png

• Like 1

And then it's lower bulkhead time, which get attached to the lower deck using 3x8mm countersunk hex head screws

spacer.png

spacer.png

All this aluminium and carbon fibre, almost every screw a hex head, and not a self tapper in sight! This is no TT02...

• Like 2