Toolmaker72

Frog front dampers

You can drill out the extra hole in the hub bracket thing and use that. If you’re in the US, 5/32” is just under 4mm. Use that then a needle file to get a 4mm hole.  Then use one of the brass tube things from the tranny and fit a M3 bolt through it all.

A9uVNJp.jpg

bVBlpSs.jpg

Terry

• Like 3

Thanks for the pictures 👍,  I’m using the monster beetle uprights at the moment in conjunction with frog original front suspension springs.   I’ll have a look later after work and try to minds eye what I need to do.  

9 hours ago, Toolmaker72 said:

Thanks for the pictures 👍,  I’m using the monster beetle uprights at the moment in conjunction with frog original front suspension springs.   I’ll have a look later after work and try to minds eye what I need to do.  

Those shown above are similar to the CRP upgrade kit, and they work really well for a stock Frog. Since you have MB uprights, here's a pic of the setup I cobbled together for my Blackfoot... surprisingly it actually works really well (I've fitted softer springs and removed the collars since the pic). The shock tower is just an FRP plate from a Traxxas Hawk, flipped upside down with 2 new holes drilled and a bit shaved off the "legs" to fit around the red chassis frame.

It's probably not ideal if your'e still using the Frog body, but should work fine with a truck or Beetle. You just have to be careful with the angle of the shock, otherwise it impacts the stabiliser or the old upper shock mounting nub. I added even more spacers than the pic just to have a bit more clearance for the shocks overall. No Tamiya parts were "customized" in this process, I basically just replaced the giant stock Blackfoot shock tower with the shorter FRP unit, and moved the lower shock mounting positions to the bottom of the uprights, instead of the top. The bent turnbuckle is to help front end strength, since the old BF tower had that support built in.

01_newfront_110320.jpg.c323495d641276f4763689000f3dd9d0.jpg

• Like 1

I actually have a conversion kit to fit coil over shocks to the frog. I have no ide who produced it, its just been in my parts drawer for a while. If you are interested, PM me and make an offer.

J

DSC_6138.JPG

DSC_6137.JPG

49 minutes ago, junkmunki said:

I actually have a conversion kit to fit coil over shocks to the frog. I have no ide who produced it, its just been in my parts drawer for a while. If you are in terested, PM me and make an offer.

J

DSC_6138.JPG

DSC_6137.JPG

That's the CRP upgrade kit I mentioned. I need to get the dimensions of those brass spacer tubes.

Thanks for the pictures and info 👍.  The front upgrade kit I have absolutely no idea what it’s worth. Looks good though 🙂

The brass spacers I used are part MR12, the 3x16 spacer tubes, from the Frog ReRe kit.

Terry

The frog is so light up front that most shocks are overkill. Seriously, you need a baby shock. I used the CRP shock towers with an RC18T shock.

So here is the front of my frog at the moment.  I like the possibility of just fitting a pair of those sand scorcher dampers. Keeping the original frog springs 

02648B0B-9485-415D-B323-8966F1E8E1E8.jpeg

• Like 1