whahooo

Clodbuster Anti Sway Bars

Are there any Anty Sway Bars for a Stock Clodbuster?

I do not find any in the interweb, only people that use Coathangers.....

For a totally stock Clod? Not that I'm aware of. ESP made "suspension stabilizers" which were plates that bridged the ladder bars, side-to-side. I guess this stopped sway but it also ruined any independent articulation. They mostly saw action on pulling Clods that didn't need articulation.

Here i found a Picture of Swaybars, but i do not know what Material is uses.

Sway Bar

And i do use a dual Shock Setup.

Team CPE Makes Sway Bars:

http://teamcpe.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=33_157&product_id=2344

But i do not know how you could attach these Swaybars, becaus :

a.) They do not have any Thread vor the Eyelets

b.) I use a double Shock Setup, i cant attach the Swaybar like shown on that Photo:

clod.thumb.jpg.df042b5c36e285e02292c99bf01514ca.jpg

Here is another Way to insert a saway bar:

clod.jpg.e135ee94b66006f87d6c75f35f92225a.jpg

I've never felt the desire or need for sway bars on a Clod based truck using the stock ladder bar suspension.  Be interested if you notice any diffrence after fitting them.  I've been using piano wire to make sway bars on my TXT-1 & TXT-2 trucks for a while, works pretty well.  Just interested if you'll see a difference on a Clod.  

@87lc2 I was a few days away from posting a thread asking about what material to make sway bars from, so this thread has come right on time :)

what thickness of piano wire do you use, or do you experiment with a variety of thicknesses depending on other suspension settings and track conditions?

7 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

@87lc2 I was a few days away from posting a thread asking about what material to make sway bars from, so this thread has come right on time :)

what thickness of piano wire do you use, or do you experiment with a variety of thicknesses depending on other suspension settings and track conditions?

I bought a few different thicknesses a while back and honestly don't remember what I'm currently using on my TXTs, if I remember next time I'm out in the shop I'll put a caliper on them.  As you said, I ended up trying a few and settling on the size that worked best for me at the time.  Changed them a few times when I first started to get the right feel.

On the TXT I just have them clamped (zip ties will work as well) to the lower links.  I was mainly trying to reduce the torque twist off the line so they may be thicker than needed for handling, but at the time a straight launch was more important to me.  Now that I think about it, pretty sure I ended up using a thicker wire on the rear than the front to get the rear planted on take off.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @87lc2, that's really useful. I have just finished a 2.2 axial / TLT hybrid which I had to soften up to get any useable suspension, so it now has a bit of torque twist to control. Plus my TXT still needs sway bars too. Sounds like a weekend project that won't break the bank 😀

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Thanks @87lc2, that's really useful. I have just finished a 2.2 axial / TLT hybrid which I had to soften up to get any useable suspension, so it now has a bit of torque twist to control. Plus my TXT still needs sway bars too. Sounds like a weekend project that won't break the bank 😀

Let's see some photos of that project, sounds cool.

I would like to see some Photos too.

Ißm not shure how i would mount the Wire....

But i would like to soften my Suspension a little Bit AND get Rid of the Bodyrolll when cornering.

16 minutes ago, whahooo said:

I would like to see some Photos too.

4 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Let's see some photos of that project, sounds cool.

Complete build thread just a few posts down in this forum :)

18 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Complete build thread just a few posts down in this forum :)

Not sure how I missed that before...I love it!  Greart looking 2.2 monster, JConcepts 89 body looks perfect on there.

• Like 1

Maybe i could fit a Sway Bar of an Axial?
Sadly i do not have the Dimensions of that, something like that would easily fit via ZipTies:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Alloy-Rear-Anti ... SwpKtdQpbo

Does anyone has the Dimensions of that Axial Buggy/Truck?

The dimension of the Aluminum Part is 73,5 mm

spacer.png

Maybe someone is Able to measure the Rod. I'm only able to use Paint, so i have no measuretool.

Also i'm not Confident that the Ends of the Rod do not snap. The halfed rod seem not to be very tough....

Edit:
Well fudge it, i`ve just ordered 2 Sets of that:

clod.thumb.jpg.83f1ed50cc8827212013a33a472157fd.jpg

I want to install it either on the Outside of the Letterbars, or on the Inside if the Rod is to short or i will install it on top of the Letterbars with ZipTies or even maybe i´ll turn it around and install it into the chassis witch the poity ends showingt to the back and the front of the Truck (like on better Chassis)
If the Rod (i think its about 13,5 cm or 6.4" long) is to short, i can get Pianowire and flatten the Ends to screw them on.

If i would know an Metalworker, i would make specific Inserts for the Letterbar that would just fit inside the Cutouts of the Letterbars with the same Screw on method of thesese Axial Swaybars.

PS:

I hope that i arceive my goal with a sway Bar, i want to get the Suspensuin super Soft, but save it against the Bodyroll.

'Now if i set my Suspension to soft, the truck just wobbles to the Side if i do a Turn.

2 hours ago, whahooo said:

Does anyone use that Kind of stabilizers??

These are like the ESP ones I first referenced.

• Thanks 1

My Anti Sway Bars did`t arrive....

I do not have any 3D Modeling Skills,

but would it be possible for Anyone to take an imprint of the Sides of the leddarbar, so you can machine 2 pieces of aluminum (Like the Pieces 2 Posts above) that mold right into the original Ladderbars?

I want 2 simple pieces that you could mount easily on the Truck without disasambeling it fully.

I should be attachable with these little grubscrews.

In short:

It should be exactly like that thing 2 Posts above, but the 2 black aluminumarms should fit right into the Outsides of the original ladderbars.

So fudge it,

i didn`t got Pianowire, because the shippingcosts do not justify the price.

I´ve ordered threded Steel wires in m3, m4 & m5 to test them. (still not shure how to put them on the best way, because i use 2 Shocks on each wheel)

My question now is:

How do i bend the Wires without breaking them??

Use a tube bender, either hand held or table-top.  They're pretty cheap and useful for other things as well.  I use a small table-top version for RC projects, mostly bending aluminum tube and piano wire for sway bars. 

I think i found a good soulution for me.

I want to bend the threded Steelrod into a U shape with hooks on the end and cover it with some sort of Tube because the threads would be very abrasive (couldn`t get Pianowire localy).

Then i can put that thin on the Inside of the Ladderbars.

The only bad thing is that i 2 GT Tuned Motors that are longer than the silvercans, so maybe they will touch the Swaybars when the Truck tries to articulate....

Sketch:

time.png

Edit:

The Steelrods did just arrive.

I think they are not "elasti" or "Stiff enough" if i bend them slightly with my Fingers, they almost stay with this Bend - they to not spring back.

Is it possible to bend them in Shape and then harden them in the oven and put them into cold Water??

I think the oven would be a great way to heat them evenlay, but i think its to cold (250° C).

A Fire would be better, but then  i do not have that even heat.....

• Like 1

If you're still running the stock anti-rotation brackets the motors will not hit the sway bars since the axle is permanently fixed to the ladder bars by that bracket.  

I'm interested to see if this makes any difference at all.  With the anti-rotation bracket and stock Clod ladder bar setup I really can't imagine a sway bar making any difference on an other wise stock truck.  I think your idea is great on how to bend the wire and mount it between the bars, just not sure if it will do anything.  Sway bars are really only necessary on 4-link trucks. They also work great on independent suspension vehicles, but the Clod is neither.  It's basically setup like a leaf spring truck with the rigid mounted ladder bars & anti-rotation bracket.

Let us know how it turns out, definitley going to be a nice setup.

15 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

If you're still running the stock anti-rotation brackets the motors will not hit the sway bars since the axle is permanently fixed to the ladder bars by that bracket. 

I use the CPE Aluminum Rotation bracets.

But the Articulation is quite a lot. Ithougt the anti Rotation Bracets were helping the Boyroll, but after installing and using the, i do not understand what they are for :D

Here is the Articulation:

ofii833t.thumb.jpg.0827a907eefd718efcbb3522ef17cb8b.jpg20200619_182941.jpg.c7d45556ccaa5620719946eab44b5d94.thumb.jpg.3642f354673f3a0caf076a961fd2c69b.jpg

And my new Shocks are even softer, but in my opinion not soft enough. I want to screw the Tension as low as possible, to get a little bit of negative sag and a super soft Suspension.

Now it hasn`t any sag at all. If i lower the Tesnsion of the Springs, i get al little teeny weeny bit of Sag, but on the other Hand if corner the car the Body wobbles just from left to roght like a Bobblehead.
Like in that Picture but with my new shocks even more:

20200619_183036-1.thumb.jpg.1063efcc0375800fd6fabb4bcffc6ece.thumb.jpg.3dc8de0773ffa3e19c745f9471c2a654.jpg

I think you'll need to attach the sway bar to the chassis & suspension arms to prevent the body roll you're seeing.  Just attaching it to the arms might help a bit, but an effective swaybar ties the suspension arms into the chassis for support.  

I hope it does make a difference, it's a neat idea.  I'm no suspension expert so I could be way off base here, just my experience with Clods and other solid axle trucks.

Love the chrome body with original Clod decals, have never had one of those.

Today i tested my Stabilizers.

I simply bent a "U" Shape without hooks and put 4 layers of shrinkingtube over the 2 Ends.

I mounted them on the Inside with Zipties, so you cant see the bar.

I set the springs as loose as possible and i have not even a tenth of the wobble/rolling then before. The Articulation is great. But the Shocks are still to stiff for my liking anyway.

I love Monstertrucks with super soft Suspension.