Sign in to follow this  
Bottlebasher

Blockhead 4x4x4

Hi

Is there an electronic speed controller you'd recommend for this vehicle, remember it has twin motors capable of running is series or parallel.

Cheers for all suggestions

32 minutes ago, Aerobert said:

What is a Blockhead 4x4x4?

I'm guessing a Bullhead that's been autocorrected
If that's the case, the series/parallel is a decision made when setting up the wiring - I don't know of any ESC with a wiring switch.

If you're running parallel, just remember you need an ESC capable of handling 1/2 the turns of the motors (so, if running 27 turn motor, get an ESC capable of handling at least 13t, lower would be safer)

I always used to wire 'em up in parallel, as series acted like a centre diff (all power to the free running axle) which was useless for crawling.

Search for Clodbuster ESC (even if you do have a Bullhead) as there's probably more topics on the Clod

For a modern options

Tamiya make the  TEU-106 BK   https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-teu-106-bk-with-bec/rc-car-products/369338
Hobbywing WP860 http://www.hobbywing.com/goods.php?id=357&filter_attr=0

• Like 1

For the ultimate flexibility, how about going for two ESCs, one per motor, and rigging them up on separate channels with a switchable mix on your radio? That way you can switch between 4WD, FWD and RWD on the fly, switch endpoints to emulate the effect of the series/parallel switch, and even drive sideways or use electronic dig by driving the motors in opposite directions. I use such a setup on my twin-motor 4X4X4 Twin Detonator, and it is loads of fun!