Mechanic AH

Suggestions for easy ways to trim polycarbonate shells?

I did the square corners on my Fox by drilling the corners (using a small bit) and then a sharp Xacto knife/scoring method, then finishing up with a Dremel.

• Like 3

I use score-and-snap extensively, using a model knife with a very small rotating blade. It goes around curves very smoothly. The trick is not trying to do the score in one go - it takes three or four passes untl it's deep enough to snap. You just have to be very patient and in a nice relaxed mood to do it. You definetly will stuff up if you approach it with "I've got to get this done by 3pm" attitude.

• Like 1

I use a mix of scissors and score/snap, and I always use a brand new x-acto blade (same for the stickers, always a new blade). The straight lines I always score and snap, for me it's what comes out the cleanest, barely needs any sanding afterwards, for convex curves I use scissors, and for concave curves like wheel arches I use both techniques, first a rough cut with scissors, then I score the line and I use scissors to separate the remaining excess into small parts, like so

20201211_182117.thumb.jpg.1fc166aabcd29b1864f0136e5910bf6f.jpg

20201211_182906.thumb.jpg.29eacd5dad001e175f901abb332072c3.jpg

20201211_190340.thumb.jpg.051b1079970e74a44ba96e747b7f8c2b.jpg

It needs a bit of sanding to get a clean edge of course. I never do these kind of curves with scissors because the tip of the blades tend to hit inside the shell.

• Like 3

I also use metal files. Large flat ones to even up any sill lines. And then the small hobby ones (flat and cylindrical/pointed) for corners. Nothing as intricate as some of the models above though - but I can see myself destroying a shell with a dremel!

• Like 1