YGBSM

Motor for BigWig?

I have a re re Bigwig coming my way.  Is the included "GT tuned" motor better or equal to the old Technigold in terms of performance?  If not, what would you recommend for a brushed motor to push the heavy BigWig around?  Thanks!

Mine tops out at about 20 mph with a 2s lipo and the included larger pinion with the stock motor. The technigold was discontinued well before I was born, so I don't know how it performs with that motor. The GT tuned runs nice and cool, but I'll probably upgrade to a Super stock or a Holmes Hobbies custom pro since I want a little more speed.

• Like 1

I had the Bigwig when I was a kid and I was really proud of the technigold motor and its performance. I don't think that the included motor of the re release Bigwig is equivalent. In my rere Bigwig I run a sensored 10.5 brushless system at the moment. The resulting power causes no problem for the buggy and its really fun to have a high performance Bigwig. If you prefer brushed, I would suggest a 17x2.

Have fun with it, the Bigwig is really cool :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Reedydriver said:

I had the Bigwig when I was a kid and I was really proud of the technigold motor and its performance. I don't think that the included motor of the re release Bigwig is equivalent. In my rere Bigwig I run a sensored 10.5 brushless system at the moment. The resulting power causes no problem for the buggy and its really fun to have a high performance Bigwig. If you prefer brushed, I would suggest a 17x2.

Have fun with it, the Bigwig is really cool :)

The GT motor is certainly better than the technigold lol. Nostalgia is about the only thing the technigold has over the GT. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve had a re:re for about 18 months. Ran it a few times with the GT Tuned.

Wanted MORE SPEEEEED! 

So added a brushless system, which did make it much faster but ultimately less fun

A couple of months ago I took it out and put the GT Tuned back in. More fun, and fast enough

In my opinion the Bigwig and its GT Tuned motor are a happy-making combo 

• Thanks 1

Technigold motor sang when powered with a 7 cell 8.4v battery. The old plastic end standard motors used to just get hot and melt with heat from the bearing.  So compared to those it was a good motor. I had a Parma k stock running 8.4v in a grasshopper that was quicker in a straight line than a friends technigold powered boomerang 

• Like 1

GT Tuned is noticeably faster than silver can. (I kept GT tuned in my Bigwig too)  Sport Tuned is very similar, so it wouldn't be worth the money. 

The next option would be Super Stock motors.  TZ, RZ, BZ, they are roughly about the same.  The only problem is that TBLE02S won't work with Super Stock motors.  Well, it would when it's cold outside.  When it gets warmer, the ESC's thermal-cutoff would be activated and you'd wonder if something got fried.  So, if you go with Super Stock, I'd say get another ESC like Hobbywing 1060.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Juggular said:

GT Tuned is noticeably faster than silver can. (I kept GT tuned in my Bigwig too)  Sport Tuned is very similar, so it wouldn't be worth the money. 

The next option would be Super Stock motors.  TZ, RZ, BZ, they are roughly about the same.  

Oh, and the BZ comes with a little fuzzy hat to keep all that dust and grit out of the open end. Although the GT Tuned is open ended too, and it doesn’t come with a little fuzzy hat. Hmmmmmm 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

BZ comes with a little fuzzy hat  

Russian or British?  :P

aLVSfVE.jpgzQjkIua.jpg

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Russian or British?

I would love to say Russian, but having recently fitted one to my DF03, it’s definitely more British!! 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

The GT motor is certainly better than the technigold lol. Nostalgia is about the only thing the technigold has over the GT. 

I may be wrong, when I think that the technigold is the better motor. My estimation is based on the impression I gained as a child. I can't remember how many turns the technigold had. That would be more helpful than subjective opinions.

The Technigold is a 21x1 motor, fully ballraced, with 413g of torque at it's best efficiency and 19,000 rpm  The GT Tuned motor is probably the closest equivalent from Tamiya's brushed motor range, also revving to 19,000 rpm. It has more windings - 25x1, so technically slower - but has more torque at 500g and stronger magnets which gives it back it's speed.  

But the Technigold is a modified motor and is rebuildable with adjustable timing.  The GT Tuned is a stock motor which cannot be opened or rebuilt, or tuned up in any way, and it has bronze bushes instead of bearings, but it is of a modern (normal) design.

Properly set up and geared, both motors are capable of giving any car a lot more zing up against a car fitted with a silver can and may well be very comparable to each other in certain conditions.

The go to page for Tamiya motor info https://www.zaonce.com/stuff/tamiya-motors.shtml

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much for this information.  Can't wait for the BigWig to get here.  In anticipation of its arrival, my 8 year old and I took out my old Super Hornet for some fun yesterday.  I told him the BigWig should be faster and turn better.  After yesterday's session, though, I just hope it handles abuse as well as the Super Hornet.  :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YGBSM said:

I told him the BigWig should be faster and turn better. 

Oh, it turns like a cruise liner!! The rack and pinion steering is distinctive but not very sharp. It drift turns beautifully, but the Boomerang is more direct 

It is a whole heap of fun though 😊