cobalt

DT01 handling question

Hello

I have a frog and very satisfied with its handling and a Hornet.

I like the Hornet but i dont like to drive it its just bounces way too much.

My question to people that own a DT01..is the handling as good as a Frog?

If it handles like a frog then i would be very satisfied.(i really like the look of solid axle buggies)

Anyway thank you in advance for your feedback!^_^

• Like 1

First... WELCOME! ‚úĆūüėä

The DT01 handles considerably better than the Frog, Hornet, or many of the other "starter Buggies". It's not sophisticated by any stretch.... 

But in general, the DT01/02 are fantastic basic Buggies!! One caveat - they NEED Oil Shocks and of course BEARINGS.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cobalt said:

I like the Hornet but i dont like to drive it its just bounces way too much

Front or rear?  

As you know, the Grasshopper came before the Hornet. The front suspension of the Grasshopper was basically 2 pogo sticks.  Tamiya added a friction damper.  But they used the same spring.  That made the front very stiff.  

D1 part takes up about 6-7mms?  I cut one loop off of the spring, that made the spring about 4-5mm shorter.  With that, the front actually absorbs the shocks instead of repelling.  

ecD49aD.jpg

The rear has rudimentary oil shocks, but I found them less effective than the undampened Grasshopper springs. 

There are 2 reasons why the Hornet's rear suspension does not work well.  1] the weight isn't on the springs. The motor is mounted on the axle itself. So the chassis have less weight pressing down on the springs.  2] The slanted angle of the rear springs create friction. Adding oil shocks makes it worse.  The result is the rear axle bouncing on the tires, instead of springs. 

But how is the undampened Grasshopper springs better?  They have the screw heads (BC4) scraping up and down inside of the fake shock bodies(A7).  That friction provides just about enough damping. Maybe you can take oil out of the rear shocks, to see if that helps?  And you might do 3rd shock mod also?  So, if you are willing to do some modding, you can make the Hornet much less bouncy.  

As for DT01, the front should work better than the Hornet.  The rear is similar to the hornet, so I don't know if I'd be eager to get oil shocks for the rear...but I never had DT01.  Hopefully what you could do to the Hornet could be applicable to DT01.   

ROma5VJ.jpg

5 hours ago, Carmine A said:

First... WELCOME! ‚úĆūüėä

The DT01 handles considerably better than the Frog, Hornet, or many of the other "starter Buggies". It's not sophisticated by any stretch.... 

But in general, the DT01/02 are fantastic basic Buggies!! One caveat - they NEED Oil Shocks and of course BEARINGS.

Oh yes uhmm hello , sorry about that forgot that its been quite awhile since my last last :) my apologies!

Carmine:

Do you own a DT01 and a frog? thanks again for your feedback!

Juggular:

Its mostly the rear of the Hornet that bugs me, i see now  how it locks out under acceleration.

Just wondering if the DT01 has the same degree of lock-out!

By the ways thanks alot for your detailed reply some very interesting points you brought to my attention!

• Like 1

@cobaltI don't have a Frog in my fleet, but I can confirm that the DT-01 out-handles the Hornet by a considerable margin. Here's a little video I made showing a few reasons why:

• Like 2

@cobalt Yes, I've owned both. A couple of Both. The Frog - the entire ORV Chassis Line - is for the Love and nostalgia of owning. There's really nothing Performance oriented about any of them. They were even outclassed back in 1984 when they came out.

The DT-01/02 (same basic Chassis), although also not a Performance based Chassis, IS a better setup for more controlled running.

4 hours ago, Carmine A said:

@cobalt Yes, I've owned both. A couple of Both. The Frog - the entire ORV Chassis Line - is for the Love and nostalgia of owning. There's really nothing Performance oriented about any of them. They were even outclassed back in 1984 when they came out.

The DT-01/02 (same basic Chassis), although also not a Performance based Chassis, IS a better setup for more controlled running.

Hey Carmine

You compared the DT01 vs the frog right?(DT02 being far superior to both)

If the DT01 is as good or even better then the Frog then that is enough for me..(superior handling to Frog with rear rigid axle is the perfect buggy for me  :) )

Thanks again!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cobalt said:

Hey Carmine

You compared the DT01 vs the frog right?(DT02 being far superior to both)

If the DT01 is as good or even better then the Frog then that is enough for me..(superior handling to Frog with rear rigid axle is the perfect buggy for me  :) )

Thanks again!

The DT-01 is possibly the best solid Rear Axle Buggy you can get! If I could afford it, I'd get one.