Bennett Ironman

Shelf Queen Advice please 😁

Hi everyone,

Finished my 'birthday Hopper' all ready for its place on my shelf (1st one) ☺️ what do folks do about the insides to tidy the build up ? As she is a none runner nothing installed inside apart from our 'Frank' currently waiting on new Frank as I made a mess of the supplied one 🤯

20201120_150028.jpg

• Like 5

Everything is a runner for me, so they've got all the bearings and ESCs, etc.  

Even if they don't run, I would put an old servo in there.  It would prevent the steering wheels from flopping about.  

One thing I do to every car is propping them up.  If you leave them be, they develop flat spots on tires.   

I put small boxes under the chassis.  Some people put spray paint caps under the chassis, etc. 

Anything to keep the tires off the surface would help. Even these binders.  

Ncj4v3B.jpg

g4KNy45.jpg

• Like 1

To me, the electronic gubbins forms part of the look of the car, especially on a model with an open cockpit or transparent windows. Even if it is to be a shelfer, I would therefore still fit it out with a receiver and ESC, or even a servo and MSC if you wanted it to look proper old-school, tiewrap the cables as per the manual, and display it like that. 

12 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

I see Frank E. in the backdrop there . Why do you need a new F.E ? , just re paint him

I had to throw Frank's head away made a right mess of it 😥

On 11/20/2020 at 7:56 PM, Juggular said:

One thing I do to every car is propping them up.  If you leave them be, they develop flat spots on tires.   

I put small boxes under the chassis.  Some people put spray paint caps under the chassis, etc. 

Anything to keep the tires off the surface would help. Even these binders.  

Interesting, I hadn't thought about flat spotting the tyres. I had a little look around and came across these things:

spacer.png

They're 6x4" acrylic photo frames that are formed of two parts held together by magnets, and are 20mm high 

spacer.png

The magnets seem to be pretty well insulated by the acrylic, but one side is still slightly magnetic. The other isn't, so I face the magnetic side at the shelf and the 'non' magnetic side under the car 

They don't work for everything; a TT02 built to normal ride height is fine, but one built to the 'High' setting still touches the shelf, and rally block tyres might require something thicker, but at £20 for a pack of five they do the job in some cases

• Like 3

On 11/23/2020 at 3:20 PM, Juhunio said:

Interesting, I hadn't thought about flat spotting the tyres. I had a little look around and came across these things:

spacer.png

They're 6x4" acrylic photo frames that are formed of two parts held together by magnets, and are 20mm high 

spacer.png

The magnets seem to be pretty well insulated by the acrylic, but one side is still slightly magnetic. The other isn't, so I face the magnetic side at the shelf and the 'non' magnetic side under the car 

They don't work for everything; a TT02 built to normal ride height is fine, but one built to the 'High' setting still touches the shelf, and rally block tyres might require something thicker, but at £20 for a pack of five they do the job in some cases

Their good mate, where did you get them?