Sign in to follow this  
Futura

Our new/old car.

What with Covid and other stuff I've not spent much time here.

During that time the good lady wife agreed that our Golf GTi cab could be moved on and we could go back to air-cooled.

Nice, but not feeling it anymore. Spent a while getting it back on the road & shining again.

spacer.png

Sold on and swiftly replaced by this.

spacer.png

A 1998 Mexican Beetle:wub:, no rust(I am in the UK so that is an issue normally!), modern fuel injection etc.

Just enough jobs for me to tinker with it, without having to break out the welder!

Now more time in general.:D

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Nice Bug Futura! Good choice. The colour matched numbers look cool, bet you will have a tonne of fun in this. There is just something special about the sound of an air cooled engine behind you that can’t be beat.

Heres my ‘69 Bug. Funny that there are so many VW fans on Tamiyaclub, must be the draw to VW based off roaders that drew us all in BITD. We are in good company :).......happy Buggin!

24CC7D3C-6508-49A3-8238-63EC0AD8916E.jpeg

• Like 8

I had a Bug infestation for some time...

bug1 (3)

My $750 absolute beater '73 Super Beetle. Daily driver for 2 years

DSCN0267

A '75 I had...

DSCN2958

My "good" '73 Standard the day it arrived...

bug3

The day she left, now with avis adjusters up front, Hurst Shifter, Riv wheels, dual quiet pack exhaust with header, Bosch 010 dizzy and dual baby Webers.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Beetlemankurt said:

Nice Bug Futura! Good choice. The colour matched numbers look cool, bet you will have a tonne of fun in this. There is just something special about the sound of an air cooled engine behind you that can’t be beat.

Heres my ‘69 Bug. Funny that there are so many VW fans on Tamiyaclub, must be the draw to VW based off roaders that drew us all in BITD. We are in good company :).......happy Buggin!

24CC7D3C-6508-49A3-8238-63EC0AD8916E.jpeg

I do like the red interior with that paint colour, nice.

8 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I had a Bug infestation for some time...

bug1 (3)

My $750 absolute beater '73 Super Beetle. Daily driver for 2 years

DSCN0267

A '75 I had...

DSCN2958

My "good" '73 Standard the day it arrived...

bug3

The day she left, now with avis adjusters up front, Hurst Shifter, Riv wheels, dual quiet pack exhaust with header, Bosch 010 dizzy and dual baby Webers.

Nice pics, I wish I had photos of my old bugs.

I'm a bit different, a proper 70's beetle fan, most in the UK only like them if they've got 5 wheel lugs.:D

• Like 2

I dailied a 1972 Super for many years. 

To the extent I know how to work on cars, it was because I got tired of my broke self paying other people scarce money to screw up. I am more than capable of screwing up on my own, and my time is free, viewed in terms of cash outlay.

Once the kinks were ironed out, it became a very good car. Drove many times across country.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Futura said:

I'm a bit different, a proper 70's beetle fan, most in the UK only like them if they've got 5 wheel lugs.:D

Its that way in the States too. Riviera wheels are probably my favorite 4 lug wheels although I liked Sprint Stars and Gas Burners too. I prefer BRMs in their original 5 lug form though. I miss my Bugs but crazy American drivers with their huge trucks and SUVs have no patience for pokey old Beetles. The world's in too big a hurry it seems. 

i dunno, my Super (stock 1600 DP block and heads) Bosch blue coil and 009 distributor, some kind of el cheapo exhaust never had a problem keeping up with traffic.

A friend of mine had a truck with a built 454 big block Chevy, 4.11 posi on slicks, heads, cam and open exhaust. Said he'd smoked anything in Phoenix, including exotics, except for one beat up little VW bug. Apparently, it wasn't even close.

Last thing he thought when he left the light was "why did that guy put Mickey Thompson drag slicks on a VW Bug?!"

My friend said that Beetle would have taken his modded Hayabusa in a 1/4 drag race.

It only takes 180hp to push on of the later, heavier bugs into the 12s. Of course 180hp is triple the stock output of a 1600 DP but its doable and will hold together easily with the right parts. 250hp possible with the stock case and no turbo, but I'd imagine those motors are a bit more maintenance intensive. I'd guess a stock 1600 DP would clock in around 20 seconds in the quarter. I'd love to build a hot aircooled motor. The last one I did was a 25hp motor in a full resto '49 split with cable brakes. Just tracking down the correct parts was a challenge.

• Like 1