Sign in to follow this  
Dakratfink

G6-01 crawl/bash compromise.

So, I love my G6-01 King Yellow. It is one of my favorite RCs for overall fun value. 

Men is set up as follows:

4WS with a splitter ( rather than using a 3rd channel ) A Hobbywing 1060 with a dynamite 15T brushed motor. 
on 2s power it is as more quick as some of my fast brushless rigs (quick not necessarily top end speed ) and is very nimble with the 4WS. So it is durable , stable and quick enough to bash.

The 6 wheel drive and chevron tires it can tackle a lot of obstacles and terrain.  
It has a few drawbacks when it comes to crawling. Low ground clearance and short suspension travel, and the big honkin bumper in the front are the biggest obstacles. The open diffs are another. 

With the 6ws it is Very nimble.  My thinking is with the 6ws if I put putty in 2 or all of the diffs I should still have plenty of steering and improve my off-roading capabilities at the same time. 
If I put on the smaller bumper, or rig up something to eliminate the front bumper altogether I would greatly improve the approach angle. 
I don’t necessarily know if I want to commit the portal axles.

My is, has anyone else set up their Konghead  or King Yellow to make it a little better without necessarily committing to long travel suspension/ portal conversion?

I would love to hear some of the community’s setup ideas

There's the expensive front bumper upgrade to try?

My hauler has diff putty which works really well

My 2nd dyna has the portals removed and comical buggy arms to widen the stance slightly.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, taffer said:

There's the expensive front bumper upgrade to try?

My hauler has diff putty which works really well

My 2nd dyna has the portals removed and comical buggy arms to widen the stance slightly.....

Don’t know which bumper upgrade you refer to. I I have bolted the narrow bumper that came in the spare parts trees. The only reason I bolted the wide bumper was my wife was more comfortable with more protection ( that’s what she said) when she drove it. 
I did see one mod online where someone used the rear bumper brace and bolted a grasshopper bumper to it. 

The the hauler with diff putty use 4 wheel steer or only front ? 

Tamiya hopup 54796

The hauler is currently 2ws, I'd love Tamiya to launch a portal kit which I could fit to it and then do 4ws as well

• Like 1

I was thinking of putting bluetac in my centre pair of wheels diff only. I’m thinking it will help when getting stuck, but being in the middle of the vehicle won’t affect steering / turning circe ability?

I have C parts 10005688 for the bumper fitted to mine, but I don’t think it would help approach angle much.

unfortunately the aluminium one above is 38 quid!

F0ABB726-A7B3-42E7-82AD-FFED8B32CEFA.jpeg.5ff6b7cd49def61ea66268ef6b451228.jpeg

• Like 1

You could look for some stainless hinge pins for the front suspension arms, then you could do away with the U-pin and front bumper altogether.  You might need a brace to tie the chassis halves together, at a guess I'd say it's the same fitment as the graphite brace that some TL01 kits used.  That's probably as much clearance as you're going to get on the front end.  Looking at mine, the furthest forward part besides the U-pin and the clip that holds it in place is the lower arms themselves.

Some putty is definitely worth a try, all my diffs are open and it often gets hung up over logs (or more precisely, the wooden beam that makes up the bottom brace of my daughter's swing set).

If you're tackling obstacles then there's no substitute for proper tyres.  Standard tyre diameter is about 110mm and there's a lot of soft crawler tyres in that size range - it wouldn't be cheap as you'd need 3 pairs plus 3 pairs of 1.9 wheels to put on them, but I'd think they'd be better over rocks and roots than the chevrons.  Also they're quick to swap if you want to back to the chevrons for bashing.

Perversely, you might also want to stiffen the springs.  Generally we think softer suspension is better for crawling but on an independent rig, all the happens is your wheel with traction disappears up inside the arch, the spring absorbs the force that could be used for traction, and you get less ground clearance.  With six wheels to choose from and not much space between, you'll usually have plenty of ground contact, so you don't need to worry about balancing on two corners like a 4-wheeler.  In theory at least it might benefit from being set up more like a tracked vehicle or Argo Cat - i.e. very limited or no suspension travel - than a conventional car.  Again, it's a super-quick setup change you can make just for crawling, just slip on some spring clips, then pull them off again when you want to bash.

There is already an alloy arm brace and steel pins Tamiya sell for gf-01 and g6-01

Tamiya 54695

• Like 1