Sign in to follow this  
TwistedxSlayer

Titanium Screws

Looked into this, decided steel is best. Quality of titanium screws varies and the good ones are stupidly expensive. 

If you're doing a dream build with every hopup, go Tamiya. 

If you're building a hopped up runner, swap to hex steel screws from bangood, aliexpress etc

• Like 1

You have succumbed to the greyish side

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Looked into this, decided steel is best. Quality of titanium screws varies and the good ones are stupidly expensive. 

If you're doing a dream build with every hopup, go Tamiya. 

If you're building a hopped up runner, swap to hex steel screws from bangood, aliexpress etc

Are they any lighter?

The build isn't a dream build i did plan on using steel anyway, i am just exploring the options of titanium just because the Yeah Racing Ti screw kits are quite cheap when compared to the price of Tamiya ones.

Biggest con would be how they can round off easily and the price. 

Pro 🤔 light and blingy. 

If it's a runner no way I'd use titanium, but obviously perfect for a shelf bound build. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Are they any lighter?

The build isn't a dream build i did plan on using steel anyway, i am just exploring the options of titanium just because the Yeah Racing Ti screw kits are quite cheap when compared to the price of Tamiya ones.

Yes titanium is lighter but weight isn't a big issue these days, unless you're chasing that 10th of a second.

You will probably round out the ti screws which is less likely with steel.

Yeah Racing is generally pretty good so worth a crack

• Like 1

1 hour ago, svenb said:

Biggest con would be how they can round off easily and the price. 

Pro 🤔 light and blingy. 

If it's a runner no way I'd use titanium, but obviously perfect for a shelf bound build. 

I've used titanium screws in several of my kits so far, and I generally haven't had a problem with them rounding off. In fact the only one titanium screw that I have rounded off was a YR M3x10mm countersunk that I knowingly tightened too hard into an aluminum part. Tamiya and Hiro Seiko screws have been very good to me.

HOWEVER: I tend to be pretty careful and thorough with my builds, thread-forming every screw hole at least half way, and tightening screws with as much precision as possible. Also I use a good hex wrench (Hudy).

• Like 1

Luckily I do have the tamiya M3 thread forming tool. Need to get a proper handle for it though.

Will ponder on this for a while but am thinking I will get a set of YR Ti screws. Although they don't make a set specifically for the chassis I want ill buy one that is as close as and then add or remove from there as required. May also use YR Titanium turnbuckles too.

Much if my decision to avoid steel is that steel will rust.  Stainless is a durable alternative if Ti or Al is too soft. I find that running a 2.5mm socket cap M3 stainless screw into plastic prior to Ti or Al prevents rounding any heads. 

A quality hex-driver is well worth the expense. Integy has several in their "clearance" pages for a reasonable price.

• Like 1