Mechanic AH

What would be a good base 4WD on-road chassis for a new daily driver build?

I have this shell, an AUDI RS2, and have been struggling as to what 4WD chassis I should pair with it. I'm thinking of a (new) very affordable but capable/durable chassis. I don't intend to upgrade the chassis parts save for exterior items like wheels, etc. so I want to excluded chassis where there are known parts that need to replaced right away. The reason being is that this isn't on my build list but an impulse buy—it's just about the RS2 shell and I had to get it a few months back since Avants have a super special place in my car enthusiast's heart.

Aside from Tamiya, the two other chassis I've been thinking of but can't find enough reviews:

1. Kyosho Fazer Mk2 FZ02 Chassis (+/- $135US/£102)
2. Yokomo SD9 Sport (+/- $169US/£127)

And the outlier (but it's already pre-built so I'm hesitant):
3. Traxxas 4-Tec 2.0 (+/- $206US/£155)
This already has a motor and ESC

And then Tamiya:
4. Tamiya TT-02R (+/- $135US/£102)
5. ?

Another option is to get the lowest priced TT-01 (it will be less than any of the chassis above) but I feel like it's so vanilla (and I'd have to buy a kit w/body). Any thoughts on the chassis listed or did I miss a better suited chassis? I don't want to really spend much but would prefer to get some new vs used. Thanks!

Here are the dimensions of the RS2 body:

Length: 448 mm 
Width: 193 mm 
Height: 122 mm
Wheelbase: 259 mm 

MechanicAfterHours-1040062.jpg

• Like 1

I'd say the Yokomo is the best thing on your shortlist, though parts can sometimes be a pain with Yok stuff. 

TA-07 Pro is a very good car - currently £150 on RCJaz and might be worth considering? 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Any reason why the TT-02 Type S isn't on the list?

I was going to suggest the same thing; it looks like a great bargain compared to buying a normal TT02 and adding all the good parts. And you're not paying for a body you don't want either.

HPI is now selling an RS4 Sport chassis as what they call the "Creator Edition" that looks pretty good too: shaft drive, completely sealed drive train, lots of flexibility. It does come fully assembled, however, so you don't get to build it (unless you take it out of the box and take it apart) and you also have to (get to?) choose your own wheels and tires.

• Like 1

Is the Type S still readily available? I couldnt really find one a while ago and getting an R to Aus at the time of the pandemic was just too expensive in shipping, So I ended up going type SR, with hop up centre drive shaft/Cups and steering

50622177518_18fadf7091_k.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies! Going to answer some of the questions and suggestions. Not trying to be difficult just trying to narrow things down. 

I realized when I mentioned "very affordable" I didn't think it was going to be quite a relative idea/word. I was thinking low to mid 100s, with 200 at the max top (with free shipping). I think a lot of the recommended kits are about $US double compared to the two lowest kits I mentioned. I spent about $65 on the body so I have to consider that cost as well, and paint. I don't plan to upgrade any parts after I build it.

Most of the kits I noted I realized I could get free shipping. So kits coming from Hong Kong or Europe (I'm in North America) probably isn't a good option since shipping is significant. I remember looking at RCmart for a kit and the shipping cost is about $70 +/-. The only two kits from HK that seemed interesting (and about $150 with ship) from a body perspective is the TT01E Promarkt Zakspeed Benz and the TT02 A80 Supra but I'd rather put that money on a chassis.

1. TA07 Pro — I could get here with free ship but it will be around $260.
2. XV-01 — wish they just had the chassis and maybe price would be ok. The kit here is a bit expensive --$265+ to $300+ depending on where I get it.
3. TT-02 Type S — maybe a contender but the only legit place I think I can still get it from is the official US Tamiya site and it's about $260. I didn't consider this because the TT-02R I can get for half the price. And I really don't mind keeping it stock.
4. HPI RS4 creator series — I don't know if they still sell this? Seems out at most credible places. I probably would consider it for the price, break it down and rebuild. I'm also eyeing the BMW '87 E30 Warsteiner if it ever comes out and it's one of the other reasons I left it out aside from the availability problem.
5. TT-02 SR — seems like a contender but just looked and it's discontinued or at least can't find it for the original price. Has to come from HK and it gets close to the TA07 pro and TT-02 S price.

So, is there really no "cheap/affordable," new, durable, and capable Tamiya 4WD chassis aside from what I listed? And aside from the bland TT-01? Or I have to spend double to get something decent? I really appreciate the responses.

I’d stretch the budget and go for an XV01. Would fit your body to a tee. Front engine Quattro chassis. Vorsprung durch  tecknik as they say!!!

• Like 2

Does it have to be a kit. Perhaps you could go for a previously owned one then strip it to its component parts and rebuild it with any hopups you want. May be cheaper but still 🤩 

I'm in a similar scenario (USA, inexpensive touring car). I've been looking more at the TT02R and Fazer MK2. Not too sure on which one would be better, but I'm leaning toward Tamiya. I'm having a hard time finding the Fazer in stock and it would be nice to build a full kit. It looks to be a decent spec as well. The main thing I've found against the TT02 out if the box is the steering slop, but I think that's somewhat easily fixed. I thought about the Yokomo also but am not as familiar with the brand in general. 

12 hours ago, Busdriver said:

I’d stretch the budget and go for an XV01. Would fit your body to a tee. Front engine Quattro chassis. Vorsprung durch  tecknik as they say!!!

Ugh. I think I have to add this to my list but then I'll wait until 2021.

12 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Does it have to be a kit. Perhaps you could go for a previously owned one then strip it to its component parts and rebuild it with any hopups you want. May be cheaper but still 🤩 

Avoiding this because I purchased a few months ago a used TL01 to restore. I know it's different but trying to have variety :).

I love my TT-01, but mainly because of the options available for it.  I've been able to make a very nice "daily driver" out of it and tune to my liking.  Overall it cost nearly as much as the upper echelon by comparison but I feel it was worth it.

TT-01E.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, loco_oso said:

I'm in a similar scenario (USA, inexpensive touring car). I've been looking more at the TT02R and Fazer MK2. Not too sure on which one would be better, but I'm leaning toward Tamiya. I'm having a hard time finding the Fazer in stock and it would be nice to build a full kit. It looks to be a decent spec as well. The main thing I've found against the TT02 out if the box is the steering slop, but I think that's somewhat easily fixed. I thought about the Yokomo also but am not as familiar with the brand in general. 

One of the reasons I had the Fazer on list is that it uses hex screws (for a cheap kit) without having to buy them! I'm used to it and it makes more sense. When I worked on a Tamiya kit recently the JIS/Philips kinda annoyed me. And not sure about the Fazer but even a cheap RTR Kyosho Outlaw has nice materials compared to lower end Tamiyas. Yokomo is pretty cool and I would if not for the harder to get parts. Pretty much up there in terms of racing history. 

4 minutes ago, Killajb said:

I love my TT-01, but mainly because of the options available for it.  I've been able to make a very nice "daily driver" out of it and tune to my liking.  Overall it cost nearly as much as the upper echelon by comparison but I feel it was worth it.

Nice! If you don't mind me asking, what is the upper echelon price range once upgrades are added to the TT-01? Not as much familiar with Tamiya when it comes to options and upgrades.

Don't mind a bit.  I'm in Japan so I buy locally from my hobby store and don't pay for shipping or import charges so please factor this in as well.. 

I think I spent the equivalent of $120 USD for all of my upgrades.  This is in addition to the TT-01 chassis. I originally purchased a used TT-01 which was crap.. so I ended up buying all of the TT-01 chassis, suspension arms.. front/rear gear diffs and such for around $70 USD.  From there I wanted to improve performance and upgrade parts I saw as limitations and bit-by-bit ended up with the chassis shown in the photo of my previous post.

@Killajb wow! That's quite a good deal. If only I knew I would get into RCs I would have visited a lot of cool rc hobby shops when I was in Japan. (a long shot but is there a popular shop in Tokyo that sells vintage RCs?). One day! 

Tam Tam in Akihabara sells used RCs on occasion and I have scored some real deals when I catch them..  (Mint Yokomo B-Max4 Worlds edition for $65 USD!!) but it's not common.  Many shops display shelves of vintage RC's and irritatingly do not sell them..

• Thanks 1

Just be careful with the Kyosho and the Traxxas - they are probably 200mm wide (the width of Nitro touring cars).

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, sosidge said:

Just be careful with the Kyosho and the Traxxas - they are probably 200mm wide (the width of Nitro touring cars).

Good point! Appreciate you pointing that out.

If you can find one, XV01 Pro TC is actually good value for money. Body will drop straight on. there was a recent re release, but not much stock about now.

The Type SR would be my next choice.

• Like 1

TT02 Is a great chassis and has plenty of parts/ hop ups available, I have used this platform for some time now and still very happy with is. It ticks all your boxes and there is still good deals to be had.

• Like 1

Depending on budget.. I would recommend either XV01 or a TB-05. With TT you will end up spending some money to upgrade which will make you end up spending as much as the latter chassis

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

Depending on budget.. I would recommend either XV01 or a TB-05. With TT you will end up spending some money to upgrade which will make you end up spending as much as the latter chassis

I agree with this. I've seen the TB05 and TT02 SR for about the same price (about $10 difference) and the TB05 is infinitely better (don't have one, but have a TA07 and TT02 and assuming the TB05 is similar to the TA07 then it will run rings around any TT02).

A TT02 ends up costing a fortune by the time you've done everything you want to eliminate slop. I have upgarded heaps on my TA07 but it really isn't necessary, especially not for carpark bashing, the kit supplied plastic steering, servo mount etc are all good enough. The plastics are so much better and tolerances much tighter.

A cheaper option could be a TB03 or TA05, older but very capable chassis and better than a TT02.

• Like 2