Mechanic AH

What would be a good base 4WD on-road chassis for a new daily driver build?

10 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

A cheaper option could be a TB03 or TA05, older but very capable chassis and better than a TT02.

Fully true, TT02 is Tamiyas way to drag us the money out of the pocket. An old TB03 is still so much more precise and better designed in many points.

• Like 2

the Yokomo SD9 Sport looks the same as the MR-4TC SD. im not sure of the exact differences of the two, but i have a MR-4TC SD Drift Package i got in 2006, and it is pretty durable, unless you crash very hard (which you shouldnt do of course). you can still find most parts, but some parts/upgrades are hard to find (but not impossible), like alumium steering and upgraded aluminium motor mount. the price of the parts arent cheap, but i have never had a problem with the quality. the MR-4TC chassis has been used in championships, so it has seen its test. changing the gearing by removing the spur gear can be a pain, because you have to remove most of the rear chassis parts. the chassis should fit your RS2, the wheelsbase is 258mm, and Yokomos own bodyshells is 190mm, and fit nicely. you would probably need a little extra offset on your wheels, depending on the camber. 

you can see an list of upgrades for it on Yokomo's homepage, but i think upgrade for the MR-4TC SD and Drift Package should fit as well as they are basically same chassis.

https://teamyokomo.com/product/mrtc-sd9/

you can find parts here:

https://www.drifted.nl/en/chassis/yokomo-drift-package/

https://www.tonisport.de/spare-parts/yokomo/sd-sport/

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for the notes about the cons of a TT02. Sounds like the XV01 is becoming more appealing (and with some folks noting how the shell would drop nicely)

Does anyone know if the XV-01 can go low enough to look like a lowered street car? I noticed most of the recent kits with this chassis are rally cars or higher cars. Or is this chassis designed specifically for rally? off and on road?

I did look at the TB-05 (but pro version) as well (thanks @Raman36 and @Jonathon Gillham for additionally recommending it) and came across: https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/110-4wd-shaft-drive-road-tb/rc-tb-05-pro-chassis-kit/ 

Quite a steep discount! It reminds a bit (the low profile nature and partly some of the brace/tub area) of my TC01 (attached a pic). Quite tempting!

Oh and going to look into a TB03 and TA05 per @Jonathon Gillham's recommendation.

The Yokomo SD9 (cheapest of the new list) could still be very much up there after @Alexei posted his thoughts on it (Thanks!). What do some of you think of the SD9 chassis (attached a pic)? Does it look it interesting?

3.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-1040075.jpg

• Like 1

the SD9 comes with a handful of adjustable options. you can read some here https://www.amainhobbies.com/yokomo-sd9-sport-1-10-190mm-electric-touring-car-kit-yokmrtc-sd9/p267795

but going through the manual (found here), i would like to add that in the box you also get front CVD axles, adjustable camber, adjustable toe in, adjustable chassis height, and oil dampers. the steering doesnt have much slop, and the plastic is pretty solid. my biggest concern would be parts available down the road, but if they produce the MR-4TC SD and calls it SD9 Sport now, i assume they still make parts for it. the MR-4TC SD used to be 400$ at the time i bought mine. i remember buying when there was 25% disount, so 300$ was what i paid. if you can get it for almost half now, maybe it is very well worth trying?  

i dont know about the others chassis', but im not sure the Tamiya TC-01 is what you are looking for with the RS2 body.

Here are my recommendations:

XV-01 - great car and handles really well on and off road. With some minor mods with aluminum suspension mounts, shocks, and aluminum pulleys, it'll be a great runner.

TA-07 Pro - great on-road car and street basher. Lots of hop ups included out of the box.

I'd honestly stay away from a stock TT-02. It's a lousy car out of the box. Front suspension keeps getting off with minor bumps and plastic dog bones pops out. Plastic steering has a lot of slop. In case you decide to get t one and upgrade it, so much parts need to be replaced just to make it decent enough to run it on the track. But if you decide to get the TT-02, make sure it's the SR. Fully adjustable suspension. But you will still need to upgrade the center shaft, steering, suspension mounts, all of which are still the same plastic from the stock TT-02 and will still cost you a lot.

I still don't understand why Tamiya left those parts stock. Where they could include upgrades to make a proper TT-02 kit. They've included aluminum center shaft in the TT-02 D, R and RR but removed it in the SR which to me, is such a silly move. 

TC-01 - I think it's a decent club racer but I've been reading reviews and the RCTech TC-01 thread that this kit is very limited and could not even keep up with most touring cars. To me, this was a marketing hype and not worth it unless you want exclusive club racing. The parts you'll be spending on upgrades is another thing to look for.

@Alexei and @Nicadraus thanks! Sorry, I actually meant that the TB-05's tub/frame area looks like a TC-01 (that was a picture of my TC-01), and that the TB-05 Pro at the Tamiya store is on a huge discount right now so it looks tempting.

didnt catch what you meant with the TC-01 at first :)

i have not had a TB-05 or XV-01, so i cant really comment on them. but i would look at the XV-01 because of its different layout.

• Like 1

I say the SR is a good buy. Comes with arms from the TRF cars, also has cvd joints. I’m running a 5.5T and a 64 turn spur with 30 turn pinion. 

35BB66FC-47F8-4BBA-A62C-E1156C7F1A75.jpeg

• Like 2