A-Baum

Build for 12 year old newbie

Son REALLY wants to build a car for xmas on his own, no help.  I'm in the states so my options are a little limited with Tower being sold out of just about everything.  I am torn between going old school or newer.  I could do the hornet/grasshopper/rising fighter/super storm dragon.  Or maybe a Lunch box.  He has a Racing Fighter that I built him a few year ago that he likes to drive so he has a DT-03.  I am worried about a hornet/hopper being slower and more boring for him since he can drive his racing fighter.  I have two TT-02s (plasma and subaru wrc) as well as blackfoot, manta ray, top force, zahhak, super hot shot, a resto frog.

Was looking at the 1/12 Nissan Titan dt-02 since Tower has it in stock (at the moment).  There's a couple other US shops I can look at but stock is pretty hard to come by. 

So I guess the question stands...can I do better than the Titan DT-02 for him for his first build?  

Not a bad first build. Fairly simple. Think most come with shocks and a torque tuned motor. Usually good price too 

And the parts availability will be there.  Not that it won't with a hornet/hopper/lunch box.

Maybe the aqroshot?  I have spare DT-03 parts, including a chassis.  On sale for $140

SInce he already has the DT-03, either the DT-03T Aqroshot or the DT-02 Titan would both make sense from a spares commonality point of view, as well as being unlikely to disappoint in the performance department, and giving a truck body as a contrast to the buggy.

You might also get him a TT-02B of his own to run alongside yours, again benefitting from spares commonality and letting him explore the handling differences between 4WD and 2WD buggies of similar standard.

I just finished a lunchbox.  I have built hundreds of cars.  That was the most fun, simple build i have had in a while.  I watched a show and assembled at the same time.  Just buy the tranny brace and set of cva's for it.

1415161388_IMG_68121.thumb.JPG.a6ade3f0eedf0db5ee24c8f510fda352.JPG

Just took a look on Tower, wow, had no idea that nearly every Tamiya kit was on Backorder.  I would have suggested a Blackfoot, I think it's the perfect first car for a 12 year old.  Good luck with whatever you choose, I built my first RC when I was 12 and I still have very fond memories of doing it bit by bit over a week's time on the dining room table.  It was an Associated RC10 and I was so proud of it because I built it myself.  Can't wait until my daughter is old enough to build her first.

Tower was never this bad even during the height of the pandemic.  TamiyaUSA has a few but their list prices are brutal.  

I ordered a Dark Impact from RC Mart and was surprised how fast it got here. I am in the US as well. 

Maybe have a look there?? In the end it did cost more then it would have from Tower... but at the time RC Mart was the only place that I could find one. 

Good luck... I am sure he will love whatever you decide to go with!

Something slow, easy to build and durable would be my vote.  Lunchbox/Grasshopper are first thoughts.  Both are just that, have loads of character and provide just enough speed to enjoy in different locations without the risk of breaking something (unless one were to go completely bonkers.. which well.. maybe RC's aren't the answer).

A bonus with starting off at this level is an appreciation for speed/power available later on.  Plenty of ways to upgrade each and learn such things as:  with extra speed, the handling becomes more important.. 

If the interest is still there you can move on to a better chassis like the DT-02, rinse and repeat.

Those would be good suggestions for a first model, however since he already has a DT-03, they might be a bit disappointing in the performance department by comparison.

Think I'm going to go with the Aqroshot.  It's the dt-03 chassis which is great because I already have two spare chassis and other parts won't be hard to get if I need them.  It's on sale at Tamiyausa and in stock which I can't say for hardly any other kits.  It'll take an upgraded 17t motor which I already have so he can get some speed on it without a higher center of gravity like on a lunch box.  It's $30 cheaper than the Nissan Titan and while I don't love the aqroshot body, I think it's perfect for a 12 year old.  Sleek, aggressive, and fun.  And he can paint it and screw it up and I won't care!!  But I think he'll love it.

Appreciate the info and suggestions, especially the Lunch box.  But I have to say once I can easily find a Lunch box, I'll buy it for myself and build it.  Never did one before.  

• Like 1

Good choice @A-Baum my 14 year old daughter has asked Father Xmas for one. She is used to 4WD buggies so it will be a nice change for her to get to grips with a 2WD. She really liked the look of it and she is even more excited about it now after watching TurnipJF's video of it in action along with some more she found on YouTube.