Sign in to follow this  
Heliwilly

Photographs

Why is it that when I try and post photographs from my iPad that they are rotated by 90 degrees. I am no techie so don’t know how to correct it. Help appreciated. Also how do  reduce the Megabits of the photo to enable me to post it? This one rotated 180 deg.

Thanks

Bill W

03617106-A02B-4BBC-8741-4CDB1DF96D18.jpeg

I have the same issue with my iPhone and tcphotos. I find that if I edit the photo and resize it slightly, it uploads in the correct orientation.

Hope that helps!

The reason it shows picture rotated is because the forum software is probably missing a bug fix to handle the ExifOrientationId in the pictures metadata.

iPhones for some reason stamp the wrong orientation into their meta so the site thinks it is a portrait photo when in fact it is landscape. Known iPhone issue for years. Sadly apple never fixed it and just expect all the websites to change their code to handle it.

If you have a PC you can use a piece of software called Paint.NET to open the photo, rotate it and resize it, crop it etc. I have used it for years. Works great.

If @netsmithUK still reads the forums maybe he can check, the code we use on our website to handle iphone  image orientation is this:

image.thumb.png.f92cf4136ebd8b6d741b66c1b18e5eaa.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mud4fun said:

iPhones for some reason stamp the wrong orientation into their meta so the site thinks it is a portrait photo when in fact it is landscape. Known iPhone issue for years. Sadly apple never fixed it and just expect all the websites to change their code to handle it.

Interesting, I thought the case was the exif data was correct, just a lot of software not reading it, so showing the photo as taken by the sensor. The iPhone’s sensor is always in landscape mode, so sets the exif to say which way you were holding that phone. It doesn’t try to rotate the image itself.

isn’t that what the code snippet is doing, paying attention to the exif rotation? Nothing iPhone about it?

I can remember a situation where a policeman needet to take a foto of a huge shipping-box which stood upside down for some unknown reasons, he wanted to make a pic of the adress written on it. Anyway he became angry and mad because when he turned his phone 180°, the display automaticly turned back and the pic was upside-down, again.

I was dying inside because laughing to death. :lol:

But sorry, cant help with this issue, just remembered this weird story.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

Interesting, I thought the case was the exif data was correct, just a lot of software not reading it, so showing the photo as taken by the sensor. The iPhone’s sensor is always in landscape mode, so sets the exif to say which way you were holding that phone. It doesn’t try to rotate the image itself.

isn’t that what the code snippet is doing, paying attention to the exif rotation? Nothing iPhone about it?

It is going back a fair few years now but I'm pretty sure we only needed it for iphones, no other devices had this issue - android and windows phones stored the photos in the orientation as taken so didn't need the metadata to be read to determine how it should be displayed. So in our case, for just 3% of our users we had to make software changes. In fact not just us, there were literally thousands of sites including ebay, wordpress etc that had to make changes. The function above is not mine, was written by somebody else but I just remembered it had to be added specifically after a customer raised a bug with his iphone photos showing 90 degrees out.

edit: in fact it used to be a running joke, if you saw a photo of an item for sale on ebay where the image was 90 degrees rotated we'd all say 'oh that is an iphone user', it used to be more common than it is now, possibly because most sites have now been changed to handle it.

edit2: I did hear a rumour that Apple did it this way to avoid processing the raw data when saving an image, this made the phone look like it was quicker than it actually was and got around performance issues with whatever generation of iphone it was at the time. Not sure how true that is but it is feasible because we had other issues with iphones at the time and found apple had cut corners.

when you take a pic look at the top of the screen and you will a arrow type of thingy ... now when you rotate the camera the arrow should point the way you intend the picture to be.

on my phone it is in the middle of the top of the phone and it is in the shape of a lightning bolt and you will see it rotate when you turn the phone if this does not match the position you intend to take a pic then it will take it of what ever the arrow/bolt is pointing

• Thanks 1

Ever time I try to upload any pictures it always says that it is to large and it's always the really good ones. It really peeves me off.

56 minutes ago, DayRider said:

Ever time I try to upload any pictures it always says that it is to large and it's always the really good ones. It really peeves me off.

That’s probably because you’re using the forum built in image storage, which is very small. Use tcphotos.net (free to subscribers) or any other image hosting service and paste links. There’s a guide in one of the sub forums. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2020 at 6:41 PM, mud4fun said:

The reason it shows picture rotated is because the forum software is probably missing a bug fix to handle the ExifOrientationId in the pictures metadata.

If you have a PC you can use a piece of software called Paint.NET to open the photo, rotate it and resize it, crop it etc. I have used it for years. Works great.

If @netsmithUK still reads the forums maybe he can check, the code we use on our website to handle iphone  image orientation is this:

image.thumb.png.f92cf4136ebd8b6d741b66c1b18e5eaa.png

I have the same problem with my Samsung phone and tablet? But not always sometimes it's fine? 

8 minutes ago, moffman said:

I have the same problem with my Samsung phone and tablet? But not always sometimes it's fine? 

Oh no, that means Samsung have gone down the same route as Apple. Should be OK as long as the websites have been changed to handle the metadata orientation but many sites are built using off the shelf 3rd party software so they'll be reliant on 3rd parties to fix the software, out of their control. It is a simple enough fix but a PITA that it happens.  I still use Nokia windows phone and have none of these issues. In fact my Nokia still takes far superior pictures in low light then my android or apple devices and is more rugged and reliable. The Nokia uses hardware optical image stabilisation and has superior lenses so it can take pictures in almost complete darkness. The newer phones just can't handle that. Admittedly not huge call for it but it does come in handy when taking pictures of the kids pumpkins lit up on halloween or RC cars on the lawn at night etc :) but most importantly, the windows phones do the image processing before saving the file so the photos are always rotated correctly on any site regardless if they handle the metadata or not.

• Like 1

I'm definitely not an aficionado on mobile phones I just always think its something I'm doing wrong (then that way I get to keep what sanity I have left) 

• Like 1

Ref original question, all my photographs are taken with my iPad. Do these have same probs as iPhone??

7AEEA624-BAB9-4CC8-BDA1-132A00710CF8.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Heliwilly said:

Ref original question, all my photographs are taken with my iPad. Do these have same probs as iPhone??

I won't claim to be a tech expert, but I have owned every generation of iphone since 2008. I also now experience a version of the issue you describe, but it has only become an issue recently. Whether it was the iPhone X or iPhone 11 Pro where it kicked in, I can't remember, but...

The iPhone (and I assume recent iPads) are now much more fussy about camera orientation than they used to be. It seems like it has one set 'right' way up, and if you shoot in a different orientation your image will be upside down, or portrait instead of landscape when 'right reading' the device (normally in portrait orientation, particularly an iPhone)

The 'quick'(ish) fix is to use the 'edit' function when viewing the image, then clicking on the crop/rotate icon. This allows you to rotate the image to the orientation you want. 

I do this to every image I take if it isn't in the orientation I want, which means when I then upload it to tamiyaclub, TC Photos, eBay, Gumtree, wherever, it appears on screen the right way up

It's a bit of a pain to have to manually intervene to get what you want, but it works for me

Apologies if any of that was teaching granny to suck eggs, but if you haven't tried manually editing / rotating the images on your iPad, give that a go :)