Saito2

CAT XLS or Top Cat

Debating between these two. I favor the CAT but from all the research I've done here and there, it doesn't seem like a fun build. Just how hard is it to set the CAT up properly? Does it go "out of adjustment" easily/frequently? Is it maintenance intensive? Is Schumacher good with spares support because I don't want to be in another "Tamiya" hole with spares allocation?

If the whole CAT experience is too much of a bear, I'd also consider the Top Cat as it seems a bit easier to get along with. Strictly looking a silvercan power around the back garden and learning a British build for something new. Again, I want the CAT but I also don't want to hate the CAT in the end, if that makes sense. Thanks.

Hi 

I have both.... they are both fantastic ! The build is always a challenge with schumachers but once built they stay built and don t need to be tweeked very often.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Debating between these two. I favor the CAT but from all the research I've done here and there, it doesn't seem like a fun build. Just how hard is it to set the CAT up properly? Does it go "out of adjustment" easily/frequently? Is it maintenance intensive? Is Schumacher good with spares support because I don't want to be in another "Tamiya" hole with spares allocation?

If the whole CAT experience is too much of a bear, I'd also consider the Top Cat as it seems a bit easier to get along with. Strictly looking a silvercan power around the back garden and learning a British build for something new. Again, I want the CAT but I also don't want to hate the CAT in the end, if that makes sense. Thanks.

Watch this video series Masaki san does a full build over multiple parts. Really enjoyable. 

• Like 4

Just an afterthought. Both my cat xls and topcat run brushless. But the topcat definatly benefits from hop ups (on the front suspension) to get the best out of it. Whereas the cat xls is a great performer straight out of the box.

• Like 1

Like T3garett I've got both and my topcat has the brushless set up and the upgrade transmission runs on 2s lipo and is just superb! My cat xls is as it would have been back in the day brushed no upgrade transmission and runs on Nimh's and is again superb!, which one is the best I'm thinking to be honest the topcat not because of the brushless system etc but simply because it performs as well as the xls but is far easier to build (still definitely not a beginner's kit) and its cheaper! But which ever one you choose once built you'll definitely not be disappointed!👍

20190202_130638.jpg

• Like 5

Got a Top Cat to build but my XLS is excellent. It is a challanging build, much more so than any Tamiya I've assembled but far more rewarding. I ended up with the upgraded transmission because the mild brushless (13.5t blue bottle & Sky Rc TS50) killed the original diff in the spur gear. It's not quite the same without the torque converter but it's rapid and handles brilliantly. Just take care getting the diffs set up and replace the four long (40mm) flat head screws for hex head that hold the gearbox, belt and bumper in place. Much easier to tension as the hex won't slip. Only other thing to be aware of is the dimples in the undertray do not line up with screws in the chassis. Easy enough to mark your own however. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Avante2001R said:

I thought all the masami versions used Philips screws? Flat heads were the original cat/procat iirc.

Yup you're absolutely right. Meant to say that. Still found it much easier with hex head. I can hold the driver in place as it locks in better whilst pulling the diff forward to tension the belt and tighten down the lock nut. 

• Like 1

These are my re re Schumacher TopCat, xls and a refurbished vintage ProCat. All with 13.5t brushless system. Therefore also with pro transmission and even more aluminium tuning parts. As soon as there are tuning parts I just can't resist. Bad for the wallet, but good for the mood :)
Unfortunately I can't recommend which buggy is cooler here. Schumacher buggies are fantastic. In the late 80's definitely a revolution!

IMG_20201126_144131.jpg

• Like 4

I am building a CAT XLS at the moment. A bit of a challenge but the ****** does look so pretty.

1 hour ago, joeling said:

I am building a CAT XLS at the moment. A bit of a challenge but the ****** does look so pretty.

There are tricks and tips to building them. Watch the Masaki Hirosaka video series.

• Like 1

How did you mask up the curve on the red paint so well. Is there a cut mask in the kit for it or you got dem skillz??

12 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

How did you mask up the curve on the red paint so well. Is there a cut mask in the kit for it or you got dem skillz??

Was hard work I drew on a 6” wide masking tape sheet and then carefully applied. It too ages to line things up for best symmetry but as I have ocd it had to be perfect in my eyes lol. 

2BECF8D3-C2B0-490B-9490-58E06210B5BA.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Use Tamiya white masking tape which is like vinyl allows for curves without lifting.

• Thanks 1

Just noticed that nobody (including myself) replied to one of your original questions about spares 

yes schumacher are Great about spare parts I can still buy spares off them now for my cat 2000s and 3000s that were never rered from the 1990's. Look at their website schumacher racing.com and you ll see what I mean. 

• Like 2

COVID numbers are escalating, as are stay-at-home orders.  You need the XLS to occupy your time. Parts are available in the US, so it will be a worthwhile investment.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 3:33 PM, Saito2 said:

Not going to lie, the CAT XLS is a challenge to build to say the least. Some parts do not line up as say a Tamiya, or Kyosho. A bit of persuasion is needed for sure! Once its built its brilliant to look at, and drives well. But working on the car is truly difficult. I somehow bent the small 2mm screw that holds the right side bellcrank for the steering, it was not a joy to work on. After that repair, I realized the CAT XLS was not for me.....So, off she went. I now have the Top Cat, and totally love Schumacher again! Its a good building kit with no surprises, and runs like a banshee with a mild brushless system. Can't really say enough good things about the Top Cat really, its definitely a good car to own!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hobbimaster said:

Not going to lie, the CAT XLS is a challenge to build to say the least. Some parts do not line up as say a Tamiya, or Kyosho. A bit of persuasion is needed for sure! Once its built its brilliant to look at, and drives well. But working on the car is truly difficult. I somehow bent the small 2mm screw that holds the right side bellcrank for the steering, it was not a joy to work on. After that repair, I realized the CAT XLS was not for me.....So, off she went. I now have the Top Cat, and totally love Schumacher again! Its a good building kit with no surprises, and runs like a banshee with a mild brushless system. Can't really say enough good things about the Top Cat really, its definitely a good car to own!

It does have its quirks but they lifted the car from 86/87 design standards everything is more or less the same. In any case I didn’t have any of those issues you mentioned and it does require extra care and attention to detail. It’s certainly not a boomerang or aimed at the novice. 

20 minutes ago, Avante2001R said:

It does have its quirks but they lifted the car from 86/87 design standards everything is more or less the same. In any case I didn’t have any of those issues you mentioned and it does require extra care and attention to detail. It’s certainly not a boomerang or aimed at the novice. 

Sounds like consistency is an issue with their kit quality. I’ve never had a Schumacher and the only thing making me hesitate is that fact.