Saito2

CAT XLS or Top Cat

Despite the massive history behind the CAT XLS, I'm leaning toward the Top Cat as that interesting front end looks fascinating.

10 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

Sounds like consistency is an issue with their kit quality. I’ve never had a Schumacher and the only thing making me hesitate is that fact. 

There are no consistency issues the kit is as it was in 87 and will have the quirks from that period. Let’s be honest any car from that era was the same Tamiya with their brittle plastics cannot be forgotten. 

10 minutes ago, Avante2001R said:

There are no consistency issues the kit is as it was in 87 and will have the quirks from that period. Let’s be honest any car from that era was the same Tamiya with their brittle plastics cannot be forgotten. 

For sure, that’s not the first time I’m hearing that though about their kit assembly. Some report no issues like you and some report issues with them I guess I wouldn’t know until I started mine. If I end up getting one, it’ll probably be the top cat but that new Mardave looks interesting 🧐 

bullet proof with pro transmission and modified front end (brass bulkhead, aluminium front arms and rockers ) :D

• Like 1

My Top Cat is the same as yours, except for the brass bulkhead. What is the benefit of that? I am always open for improvement. If it's worth something, I'm in.

It adds weight to the front end thus keeping more planted and giving it more steering it helps compensate the lightweight lipos we use in chassis that were meant for heavy nihms. It s also more crash résistant..... last but not least it s shinny !!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also forgot one of its major benefits it seats the steering arm spindles more snugly than its plastic counterpart which helps reduce slop in the steering. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thank you all for your input but welllll... I just got my yearly health insurance papers from work and insurance prices went up over 100% from last year. $109 per pay period became $230 so no Schumacher for me at this time. The worst part is  the insurance doesn't cover anything until the $4500 deductible is met. So, I throw $5980 away per year for insurance that I can't use but have to buy for a safety net in case I get a bad disease or condition that would bankrupt my family without it. Oh well, I will live vicariously through other owners, lol.

• Sad 3

That s ridiculous :blink: I m very sorry for you. I don t know how you manage... I m so used to France 's health care system that I can t even conceive paying that much. I m gobsmacked.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, t3garett said:

That s ridiculous :blink: I m very sorry for you. I don t know how you manage... I m so used to France 's health care system that I can t even conceive paying that much. I m gobsmacked.

Thank you for your sympathy, but it is what it is.

What makes matters harder to swallow is the owner supposedly takes in over 2 million dollars a year from a company of about 50 employees. General inflation causes the price of necessities to increase every year and the increases in insurance cost essentially is the same as asking employees to take a pay cut year after year rather than getting a minimal cost of living increase in wage. Its an escalating disaster with no end in sight. Without any insurance, I would either bankrupt my family or be left to deteriorate and/or die to save them from bankruptcy, but this is the health care system in the US.

The Affordable Health Care Act was a godsend with good, affordable coverage, but one can't use it if their employer offers their own coverage as a benefit. I would do far better if my employer simply didn't offer and company coverage at all.  

I get around it by carrying no debt, putting all my money in CDs to collect some form of usable interest and not going anywhere or doing anything. If something needs repaired or refinished, I learn how to do it and do it myself. Last year I learned how to do flooring. This summer, I built interior walls and next summer it looks like I will learn roofing. Aside form a day trip to the beach, there are no vacations (I can't recall the last time I had off) and forget about eating out, etc. Eventually I will have to get a second job and start work ing 60 hours a week if this increase keeps up but I'll take advantage of company overtime until then. Like I tell my coworkers, I can stop working when I'm dead, lol.

But, its just the facts in America and my situation is no different then many many others. I'm lucky to be prudent with money. Other's just plow themselves into debt chasing the carrot on the end of the stick. I was lower middle class at one time.

On 11/28/2020 at 9:22 PM, t3garett said:

It adds weight to the front end thus keeping more planted and giving it more steering it helps compensate the lightweight lipos we use in chassis that were meant for heavy nihms. It s also more crash résistant..... last but not least it s shinny !!!!!!

I did not wait long and ordered the bulkhead. Looking forward to test the buggy...when the snow has finally melted ;)

IMG_20201205_104315.jpg

• Like 4