Juhunio

Camber Setting Recommendations

Hello hive mind

So I'm building a 49400 Porsche 935 at the moment, and have hit the point where I need to choose which front hub carrier to use

It comes with a choice of parts that will create either 2deg or 4deg of camber

So I'm wondering if anyone with experience of the TA05, or of generally getting the right balance of control and performance from an RC car, can advise me which is the best choice, or if that's subjective then at least describe what the effects of camber, and those degrees of camber, would be to help me choose

Thank you!

The 2 and 4 degree hubs you have are for castor not camber. 

The more caster you have ie 4° will/should result in a sharper turn in. 

On a real car you need it to help self centre the steering, not needed as much with a servo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, svenb said:

But but but the manual says camber :wacko::huh::wacko:

Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 14.11.25.png

3 hours ago, svenb said:

I have a feeling svenb is right.  I only have a few M-chassis, so I don't know enough about on-road cars.  But if you have to change the hub carrier, it's caster. Tilting back the kingpin isn't easy to change.  However, you can easily change camber using tie rods...

l6Dlcib.jpg

Wait a minute...  "キャスター" is caster (I was way into Japanese anime in my 30's, and ended up learning Katakana). 

x9syT7P.png

Caster and camber got translation in transposed. (I mean, transposed in translation)  

YhvR1sv.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Wait a minute...  "キャスター" is caster (I was way into Japanese anime in my 30's, and ended up learning Katakana). 

x9syT7P.png

Caster and camber got translation in transposed. (I mean, transposed in translation)  

Ahhh. So.

Something got lost in translation. Love that movie.

Ok, a quick bit of background reading on caster says that the more body roll you have when cornering, the more positive caster you need to counter it. So, in theory, buggies (higher ground clearance, softer springs) would need more, but road cars (low clearance, harder springs) less? Is that right(ish)?

So, 4deg in a TA05 with stiff springs up front would seem a lot, no??

Or is it a case that 4deg gives a beginner driver (deffo me!) a load of extra room for talent failure, where the 2deg option would be a bit less forgiving?

That sounds about right.  At the extreme end, I imagine one wheel steering. Like the inside wheel is losing traction and outside wheel has to do more cornering.  The more the kingpin lays back, the easier it would be to steer.  If you have 2 wheels on the ground, straight running would be more stable. Toe ins and toe outs would have more pronounced effects, etc.  But 2 degree difference might not be as pronounced as we think it would?  (To be honest, I haven't changed caster angles, so I couldn't say for sure)

I think of caster as dihedral of wings.  

UO4CByU.jpg

The more dihedral, the stable the turn is, just like the kingpin angle.  2 degrees might feel a bit slippery, where as 4 degree might feel stable.  I'm not such a great driver, so if it were me, I'd choose 4 degrees until I think I could benefit from less stable caster.  Off the top of my head, buggies have like 15 degrees. 

You can see how caster ended up changing the camber angles when turning.  So higher kingpin angle does change caster when turning for sharper response.  But 2-4 degrees of on-road vehicles won't be this pronounced.  I think 1:1 cars have 3-6 degrees?  

MyqE6jE.jpg

Nobody's going to have 50 degree-caster, but it's useful thought experiment.  If you turn right, the front end of the tire would open up to the sky, almost. That would make the top of the tire lean toward the turn.  

oaAgv90.jpg