EvilSpike

F103's a bad idea?

For some reason I keep looking at buying a Tyrrell P34. It's on a modified version of the F103 chassis to give it the four front wheels.

Is it pointless buying one of these cars as I'm guessing they can only be used on very smooth asphalt. Are they only for racing with other foam tyred cars, will just driving it around the carpark get quickly dull?

It's a lot of money to spend, but I want something different to the Terra Scorcher and the Lunchbox I have.

Are spare parts like wheels and tyres going to be difficult to find for them?

The only club within driving distance from me races Mardaves, I'm contemplating one of those but the Tyrrell just looks so absurdly right to me!

• Haha 1

The F103-based version of the P34 is a great handling car, very different in looks but no less competitive than other F103 and F104 cars of similar spec. I find my lap times with it are typically within about 0.2s of those I achieve with my 4-wheeled F103.

The tiny front tyres are difficult to find in rubber, but easy enough to find in foam. The rears are standard and very easy to find in foam or rubber. The chassis is petty tough - you are unlikely to need many spares, if any. However they are quite easy to get for the most part. The only slightly difficult bits are the fibreglass 4-wheel front end plates, but if you can't find originals, you can always get them cut by Fibre Lyte.

They can be driven on normal asphalt - it doesn't need to be perfectly smooth. However a big part of the fun comes from racing them, so it's probably worth finding a club anyway if you can. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, EvilSpike said:

Tyrrell just looks so absurdly right to me!

It's a hobby.  You don't need to justify it with logic.  You do what makes you feel good. 

I want a RC Delorean with doors that open up.  Nobody made it, so I can't have it.  At least Tamiya made Tyrell P34.  I'd say live your dream.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Juggular said:

I'd say live your dream.

I like your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We run our F1 cars at the school on their courts. This is a primary school with courts that aren't in great shape, not nice tennis or netball courts, and they run well. They are challenging to drive so it holds some interest, but really they are at home on the racetrack. Racing onroad for us isnt that often (although we plan on that more often) but F1 is a fun class

We don't use them as much as our buggies because we can run those in the backyard which is heaps easier, even though the school is a 5min walk away. 

• Like 1

I like looking at mine! Although if the poster above can point me to any available rear tyres it would be appreciated!

C4072410-6C5C-463F-8757-B241DF80114F.jpeg.03d2f91a139db8835e68833a51d837e0.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Juggular said:

I want a RC Delorean with doors that open up.  Nobody made it, so I can't have it.

If somebody makes one in a few years, maybe they could send one back to you so you could have it yesterday

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

If somebody makes one in a few years, maybe they could send one back to you so you could have it yesterday

lol... that was just brilliant!  

2 hours ago, CoolHands said:

I like looking at mine! Although if the poster above can point me to any available rear tyres it would be appreciated!

C4072410-6C5C-463F-8757-B241DF80114F.jpeg.03d2f91a139db8835e68833a51d837e0.jpeg

Foam or rubber?

Rubber! But soft so I have some grip as the originals (rear) have no grip! Front seem, fine

I can find front wheels for sale, but tyres to fit are proving elusive.

Wheels: 19334060

Tyres: 19805718

Hmmm, I don't want to end up with something that I'll either be reluctant or unable to use.

My other ideas are a TT02 type S when they're available in March next year, or an Aqroshot. In a couple of weeks time I'll be away with work until the end of January so waiting until then isn't the end of the world. There's no point in me getting something like a Monster Beetle or a Vanquish as I suspect it'll be 85% the same as what I've got. Or I keep toying with the idea of a Mardave. But that Tyrrrell doesn't half look appealing...

Very much first world problems! 

2 hours ago, EvilSpike said:

I can find front wheels for sale, but tyres to fit are proving elusive.

Wheels: 19334060

Tyres: 19805718

Hmmm, I don't want to end up with something that I'll either be reluctant or unable to use.

My other ideas are a TT02 type S when they're available in March next year, or an Aqroshot. In a couple of weeks time I'll be away with work until the end of January so waiting until then isn't the end of the world. There's no point in me getting something like a Monster Beetle or a Vanquish as I suspect it'll be 85% the same as what I've got. Or I keep toying with the idea of a Mardave. But that Tyrrrell doesn't half look appealing...

Very much first world problems! 

It can be converted to a normal F103 or F104 front end easily enough right @TurnipJF  That should just be new arms and uprights - I have both front ends for my TRF102 and its a very quick and easy swap.

What about buy the Tyrrell and also another F103 bodyset and front end, and have both?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

It can be converted to a normal F103 or F104 front end easily enough right @TurnipJF  That should just be new arms and uprights - I have both front ends for my TRF102 and its a very quick and easy swap.

What about buy the Tyrrell and also another F103 bodyset and front end, and have both?

It is relatively easy to convert it to a normal F103, but not quite as simple as swapping arms and uprights unfortunately. The servo mounting system is also different, as are the steering linkages and front wing. Still quite doable - you just need a few more parts and a bit more time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Avante2001R said:

Do these also fit the F101 chassis? Williams FW14. My foam tyres are shot and need front and rear replacements. Any suggestions welcome 

They will fit any F1 with a 14mm rear hex, which I think has been standard since the Road Wizard. If you'd like foams, I can recommend the ones by Enneti. Hard front and medium rear work well for me.

14 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

They will fit any F1 with a 14mm rear hex, which I think has been standard since the Road Wizard. If you'd like foams, I can recommend the ones by Enneti. Hard front and medium rear work well for me.

Thanks I’ll look it up. But I recall the rear wheel also has thrust bearings iirc? Will they all fit?

4 hours ago, Avante2001R said:

Thanks I’ll look it up. But I recall the rear wheel also has thrust bearings iirc? Will they all fit?

Yes, it all fits. You do not have the ability to capture the thrust bearing in the Enneti wheels like you do with the Tamiya ones, which means when you take the wheel off, you need to be careful not to lose the bearing gubbins. However once everything is assembled the way it should be, you shouldn't need to take the wheel off again until it is time to fit a new set of tyres, so this is not a frequent issue. It is made even easier if you fit the one piece thrust bearing upgrade as this means there are fewer bits to go walkabout.