Smokeylocc420

ESC Reccomendation for 1/10 4wd buggies

I'm getting back into the hobby, and looking to buy some cheapo esc's to run brushed motors and brushless motors

can anybody put two cents in please

thanks and be safe

Check out Hobbywing.  They have some inexpensive options which are good value for the money (and they have good support as well).

• Like 3

[1]  Tamiya TBLE-02S is the most well known ESC for both brushed and brushless (sensored).  It comes with many Tamiya kits, and when people upgrade, they sell on ebay for about $27-$30.  But Jack of all trade isn't master of anything; TBLE-02S could run relatively mild motors only.  25t for brushed motors, so Sport Tuned is the max.  And 13.5t for brushless.  

TBLE-02S can do brushed/sensored brushless.  I don't think I've heard of any ESC that can do Brushed/sensorless brushless.  

[2]  If you want to run hotter brushed motor, Hobbywing 1060 is only about $18.  You can run motors down to 12t.  You can run Super Stock motors that Tamiya TBLE-02S cannot handle?  1060 is the solution.     

[3]  If you want to run brushless, Hobbywing 10BL120 (sensored) costs about $40.  It's 120A ESC, so it can run a lot faster motors, like 4.5t.  

[4]  Sensorless ESCs are often sold as a combo with a sensorless motor.  Cheaper, and has a low end kick to it, but at slower speeds, the motor could hesitate and jerk.  

• Like 3

Thanks for that post @Juggular, I'll be getting a kit without and ESC next so that's useful for me to know.

If I'm sticking with NiMH batteries, is there any point in using brushless motors? Brushless and LiPO seem to go hand in hand but is there a reason for that?

I was under the impression that brushless was more efficient so should have longer running times but are there other advantages/disadvantages? I'm probably being lazy and I suspect this subject has been discussed many times, so apologies!

• Like 2

The TBLE 02S annoys me most with its lack of correct LiPo voltage vutoff. Otherwise I would say its good for most entry level setup.

Like others have said can not go wrong with HW, HW1060 in particular is good. Just make sure its a "proper" on not a clone. Lots of clones on ebay etc. I get all mine from UK vendors,still a good price for performance you get .

• Like 2

Brushless has lower maintenance, theres not much to clean. Lipo has a longer run time in a competition buggy before performance drops, but there is no real sign that it's nearly flat, it will just go from full power to zero, whereas a nimh or nicad will start to slow down.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, EvilSpike said:

with NiMH batteries, is there any point in using brushless motors?

I think so.  

If you are using NiMH, you won't get 100% of the motor's potential (you'd get like 80%). Because NiMH cannot supply large current at once (in hard acceleration).  But it might still be better than brushed. Also, you get everything else; better torque and better efficiency.  

If the manual says that you can use a pinion with 1 more tooth, I'd recommend that.  Brushless has more torque, so you can use one more tooth for faster speed.  If you want, get a 13.5t motor, put on a larger pinion (if it's allowed), and enjoy the motor.  You could upgrade to LiPo later for the extra acceleration.  

(If you are using LiPo with TBLE-02S, I'd get a voltage alarm)

• Like 3

Without going into the realms of the cheap, might work/might not , mines ran without issue, mines smoked as soon as I plugged the battery in...

Solid esc's from hobbywing 

Brushed- 1060

Brushless - 10bl120 

• Like 2

I've been loving the TBLE02s... if you're handy and willing to do the relatively easy LiPo mod cut-off, you cant go wrong with especially if you will eventually run a mild 13.5 or 17.5 brushless motor... 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input gents!

So narrowing down to the tble02s or the hw1060...

I have a lot of brushed motors like lemans240s & 360pt, Kyosho Mega Motor, Epic DB got a black Trinity monster horsepower...and a few others can't say offhand. Yea pretty old motors but I enjoy them because they're old school, cheap and the ones that are adjustable are easily rebuildable. i suppose most brushless motors are as well. I run a velineon 3500 with a castle first gen mamba max in my MB with the thorp trans=zero probs

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Smokeylocc420 said:

So narrowing down to the tble02s or the hw1060...

I have a lot of brushed motors like lemans240s & 360pt, Kyosho Mega Motor, Epic DB got a black Trinity monster horsepower

Tble02s has a 25t limit

1060 has a 12t limit...

A Lemans 240s is a 19t, if that makes the decision easier.....

• Like 2

I'm going to get some cash together and get one of each I suppose, or maybe just one or two of the hw1060s...I've got an older og optima with belt drive that the 240s currently resides. I hear you can update the drive train to the 2016 rere but it's expensive, and I'm already brainstorming a way to fit up the 2016 rere slipper clutch to help it save the drivetrain if I decide to go mild brushless.

thanks again guys!

IMG_1364.JPG

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Smokeylocc420 said:

Yea pretty old motors but I enjoy them because they're old school, cheap and the ones that are adjustable are easily rebuildable. i suppose most brushless motors are as well.

Never had to rebuild a brushless tbh, as there's no parts that touch, so the only wear, if any, is the bearings and a drop of oil every so often keeps them sweet.

On Sensored brushless motors, you can adjust the timing on the motor ,as per old brushed motors, but most of the timing is done via the esc, so you can add timing advance at certain rpm (but like Vtec in 1:1 cars), generally the better the esc, the more control. The 10bl120 has a basic timing option, but just does it all the way through the rev range (Just the same as moving the end bell). Esc's that'll allow timing curves ,start at around £100.

1 hour ago, Smokeylocc420 said:

I'm already brainstorming a way to fit up the 2016 rere slipper clutch to help it save the drivetrain if I decide to go mild brushless.

If your fitting a slipper, no point going mild.....🙄😁

I went with a modern K2 slipper, and a 5.5t (10bl120 esc) in the mid.

2020-11-13_07-30-54

Guessing you'd maybe need rear cases and gears etc? 

Be interesting to see the build, be good if you could do a thread 👍

• Like 1

So I bought a used Hobbywing Max10 60A for pretty cheap, hopefully I chose right..I think it only runs brushless though

on 2s it needs anything less than 6000kv so on the hunt for a used cheapo motor I'm looking at a SpeedPassion Competition 3.0 3500kv.