Golden

Hobby Spray Paint Extractor/Booth

Hi All - I've been spraying shells with Tamiya spray paints in our utility room - albeit with the door shut to the rest of the house and with the back door open... - and despite wearing a mask, I'm sure it can't be doing me much good and it's getting too cold to paint outside a the moment.

I've seen lots of You Tube videos of folk using mini-indoor paint booths, which seem to have an extractor attached to them? They look relatively small - maybe 50cm by 40cm or so and perhaps 50cm deep? Are they any good - and can anyone recommend one? 

Presumably they have an in-built fan and some ducting that you shove out of a window? Or do you then also need an air compressor to attach to it for the vacuum? I've always intended to get an airbrush as I want to (eventually....) start restoring Hot Wheels and diecast too - but no plans in the very short term to get a mini compressor and airbrush - so for now, it's just needed to cope with Tamiya rattle cans.

Grateful for a recommendation - I'm in the UK if that makes any difference on products...

Many thanks!

I have spent many years building and painting "static plastic" kits. Mainly Armour and doing this indoors I bought a good quality bench top extractor. This is bigger than most BUT I would say its not really big enough for shells. It will help BUT the distance you will be from the booth with the shell will effect greatly. Some of the smaller buggy bodies will fit close up BUT full shells no so.

There's a thread here but the contributors aren't in the UK. Some good ideas though

Bear in mind that some paint fumes and dried overspray dust can be explosive under certain conditions/concentrations. If you have an incorrectly sealed and/or rated fan motor within the extraction system, an electrical spark could spell disaster. IMO just buy the correct tool for the job and be safe.

• Like 1

Thanks All. Happy to buy something pre assembled. Looks like a few options on Amazon - be interested if anyone has any feedback on one of those?