Busdriver

Madbull possibilities

Was going to sell my madbull then when I realised how much it was worth I might just as well keep it. My question is without too much work what is the max motor/esc/battery combo I can get away with??

I was running a Castle Sidewinder V2 ESC with Turnigy 3500 kV 4-pole motor and 2S LiPo a few years ago; the model could run non-stop at the local beach pretty well.  It was on the verge of being uncontrollable, so I wouldn't go any higher than that.

• Thanks 1

Great question; I never tried one.  Part of the reason why I think 3500kV is near the limit is because there are limited gearing choices for that gearbox.  The Mad Bull drove well on asphalt but the motor would get too hot to touch.  At the beach, there was enough power to lose control on the packed sand pretty easily, but the motor stayed cooler there.

• Thanks 1

I run a cheap GoolRC 3500kv brushless system in mine and it's an absolute blast.   Everything else is stock (including the dampers) and it's not too much to control, but I wouldn't put any more motor in it.  Haven't broken a single thing on it either, its been a great car.  Actually purcahsed it from Saito a few years back (thanks again!).  

IMG_4724.JPG

IMG_4726.JPG

IMG_4729.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have yet to find the upper limit of power that will break a Mad Bull gearbox. Due to the gearing options, you are more likely to fry the motor than break the car.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

I run a cheap GoolRC 3500kv brushless system in mine and it's an absolute blast.   Everything else is stock (including the dampers) and it's not too much to control, but I wouldn't put any more motor in it.  Haven't broken a single thing on it either, its been a great car.  Actually purcahsed it from Saito a few years back (thanks again!).  

IMG_4724.JPG

IMG_4726.JPG

IMG_4729.JPG

Like the colour 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I have yet to find the upper limit of power that will break a Mad Bull gearbox. Due to the gearing options, you are more likely to fry the motor than break the car.

What’s the best pinion for big motor ?

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

What’s the best pinion for big motor ?

You only have two options - 17t and 19t. 17t for big revs, 19t for big torque I suppose.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

You only have two options - 17t and 19t. 17t for big revs, 19t for big torque I suppose.

Should be 19T for big speed but possibly slower acceleration, or 17T for big torque/quicker acceleration at low speed and a lower overall maximum speed for the car.

A larger pinion gear should in theory give you higher top speed, at the expense of low-speed grunt. A smaller pinion should give you more torque at low speed (so it accelerates faster from a standstill) but a lower top speed ovearll. The smaller pinion causes the motor to spin faster in order to reach the same car speed as the larger pinion, but because electric motors have a max RPM, it stops accelerating sooner.

For example, I have a 16T gear in my Blackfoot so it doesn't bog down trying to turn the big tires, but an 18T in my Frog since it's a smaller, lighter car with smaller, lighter wheels (rotating mass and wheel diameter). If I put Frog wheels on the Blackfoot, it does accelerate faster, but when I'm running flat out I can tell it runs out of steam a bit sooner. With the larger 2.2 truck wheels on, it reaches almost the same top speed as the Frog despite being geared lower.

• Thanks 1