SupaGaz

TT-01E Raw to Hopped up comparison build.

Hi.

Ive bought a cheap Raw kit from eBay with the intention of doing a comparison on hop ups and upgrades. 
The kit is now built as standard as possible. 
I’ve used the tamiya tble-02s esc, and a sport tuned motor as I imagine a kit would probably have come with them. 

Steering is being handled with a Power HD digital 20kg servo. This will probably stay with the build throughout. 
Radio is my Flysky Gt3c with a gr3e receiver. 
wheels are some cheap but stylish street types with soft rubber and foam inserts.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Looks tidy

Cheers. Receiver now in. 
Im waiting for the gps module to arrive now so I can record the data. 

56BE5CA1-ADDA-451E-A63E-3AAE86FD2081.jpeg

• Like 1

£4 from eBay. 
just thought it’d be something different. 
Started it today while I wait for other parts to turn up. 

1C915BC4-FA03-4BAE-9D9B-C943EE6AC197.jpeg

• Like 2

Some progress today. 
Still waiting for parts for the chassis so I’m gonna have a few first runs outside if it’s dry here tomorrow. 

AF124A86-C98E-46B7-BEF5-2AF78FC1D64B.jpeg

76AFBF24-ED6B-49FF-92C6-57EA2488CDC8.jpeg

AC111E8B-14B1-4F0E-8858-A50EBF5417D5.jpeg

• Like 2

Had a run outside with the stock setup today. 
probably not hitting much over 25mph in stock guise. 
it handles well however. Bashed through a couple of puddles and picked up plenty of tiny stones/salt in the process. 
Gave me the excuse to strip and clean it afterwards. 
I took the opportunity to alter the gearing to 28/55. 
Obviously the acceleration will suffer but I’m hoping for a quite dramatic increase in speed. 
tyres are a bit hard and shiny but I’ll scrub them in more tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Well the 28/55 gearing was a failure. The spur gear seems to be elliptical and loses mesh part way round! 
I’ve ordered another so I’m back on 21/61 until it shows. 
STILL waiting for the gps so the comparisons can’t go ahead until I have some runs in standard guise. 
On a good note. This lot showed up 👍

F95E7181-E103-4A39-8F6A-7089BD6D795F.jpeg

• Like 2

What spur gear was it? The standard kit one? Also are you using the standard plastic motor mount - it could be this thats deforming slightly and losing mesh if running the more powerful motor?

Are you using the Tamiya speed tuned gear set for it?

It was an aftermarket gear. I’ve put the factory 61 back in and upped the standard pinion to a 21. 
it is on the plastic mount, but I checked the rotation by hand so it’s not deformation of the mount and it’s just a sport tuned motor at the moment. 

I’ve ordered the speed tuned gear but that won’t show ‘till after Xmas now. 
The GPS finally showed up so I’ve mounted that to the chassis and been finishing up the body too. 

14 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

What spur gear was it? The standard kit one? Also are you using the standard plastic motor mount - it could be this thats deforming slightly and losing mesh if running the more powerful motor?

Are you using the Tamiya speed tuned gear set for it?

I checked the Yeah Racing kit this morning and they’ve short changed me with the damper oil 😔

Should have been a bottle of 300ct in the pack. 

A290006F-A456-4468-8C71-9607E682E303.jpeg

57BAB659-CB4B-4C2F-ADAF-BA74C6AB7D0C.jpeg

49881EB5-8AD7-4F5B-A769-C2DDAE8AACAB.jpeg

• Like 2

Have you got any left over tamiya yellow damper oil? Could you use this as I believe its 400 weight and if the dampers come with a piston with an extra hole might compensate for the slightly thicker oil.

I’ve only got 1/2 of a bottle. These are bigger dampers so no chance unless I use olive oil again 😂

Ive got about a thousand small bottles of yellow spare if you need it. PM me your address and i will stick a couple in an envelope to you if you want and post them tomorrow. Might take a couple of days but should be before christmas.

That’s very kind of you! 
I have ordered some already however that’ll be here by early next week. 
Thanks for the offer. 
Gaz. 

• Like 1

Well I’ve literally just managed some speed runs. I’ve been waiting for the ice to melt.
I decided not to have the body on as it’s pretty dark and I didn’t want to risk hitting the kerb (or anything else).

I did 6 runs over about 50-60m. 
The obvious basic upgrade to my mind would be the plastic bushings to bearings. It’s a cheap upgrade that many do as a matter of course, without ever fitting the plastic bushings supplied in the kit. 
so. 18mph was the speed. Slower than I expected. 
lets see just how much of a difference the £10 worth of bearings actually make. 
Any input about the next upgrade would be appreciated. Everyone has their own ideas as to what’s next. I feel the steering could definitely do with some attention however as it’s really difficult to get it running straight. 
just to recap:

stock kit TT01E , sport tuned motor, 21/61 gears (pinion slightly higher than the stock 19t), TBLE-02s esc, 7.2v NiMh battery. 18mph. 

47DB60D5-5278-4FE5-A786-4213AA6CE21C.jpeg

Hi all, I just built my first kit and was a TT01e (Merc CLK-GTR - shell not done yet).

Enjoyed the build and today went out on the first (decent) run.

So im seeing the well mentioned steering issue (pulling left or right) - would the aluminum steering set help this? or is there some adjustments I can make with current plastic setup? (I have tried the trim on the TX)

I have ordered a aluminum prop shaft.

Hi. Well done on your first build. 
the steering is troublesome on the TT kits. 
I’m  about to go out and do another speed run, after that I’ll be fitting the front end upgrade. This should allow me to dial in some camber and toe in to help the steering. Watch this space 🤘

Gaz 

image.jpg

Well. The bearings made a difference. 
A whopping 1mph. 🙄
Obviously as the power increases these will help at the higher speeds, but really If you’re staying on a standard kit I’d say spend the money on something else. Beer maybe🍻

As stated above. The handling side of things will be next. It’s very twitchy. Probably due to it wandering and trying to correct it all the time. 
some positive steering would be a big plus. 

748C4B12-1F0C-4557-91EA-C25B9254BA22.jpeg

6 hours ago, SupaGaz said:

Hi. Well done on your first build. 
the steering is troublesome on the TT kits. 
I’m  about to go out and do another speed run, after that I’ll be fitting the front end upgrade. This should allow me to dial in some camber and toe in to help the steering. Watch this space 🤘

Gaz 

image.jpg

Can you share the link for where you bought this from? Does that include to and bottom arms?

cant really drive the car properly at the moment as your constantly battling to keep it straight. I wonder if I have kocked it a bit and the servo May need a reset... is that a thing?

Is thy at possible I have have hit the front wheel to hard (which I have) and servo needs setting back to nutrual?