Saito2

Polycarbonate spray paint options

Tamiya PS paints are getting thin on the ground here in the US. While it is my hope they will eventually be restocked months down the road (I really need some PS16 for a Avante 2001 body ATM) some of my bodies for other manufactures don't necessarily need Tamiya PS paint to be "correct".  Any other brands I should consider?  Pactra used to be good but I haven't used them in years. I heard good and bad about Duratrax sprays. Anybody have experience with other brands they'd like to share? Thanks.

why not consider automotive paint and you will get the colour you need mixed up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

Tamiya PS paints are getting thin on the ground here in the US. While it is my hope they will eventually be restocked months down the road (I really need some PS16 for a Avante 2001 body ATM) some of my bodies for other manufactures don't necessarily need Tamiya PS paint to be "correct".  Any other brands I should consider?  Pactra used to be good but I haven't used them in years. I heard good and bad about Duratrax sprays. Anybody have experience with other brands they'd like to share? Thanks.

Spaz Stix ! The pactra is good too, don’t mix paint brand though on bodies 

• Like 1

Pactra is gone, I believe. A few years ago now. The Duratrax stuff is more or less the same formula, it seems. It sure smells and feels the same.

Other spray can options: Rust-Oleum for plastic sticks fairly well to lexan, as long as you avoid the metallic colors, which dry brittle and flake off. Krylon Fusion works as well.

But honestly, you're better off giving up on the rattle cans and getting an airbrush. I have a simple Paasche external-mix single action one that does just fine for painting model cars and RC cars. Then you can use Parma Faskolor, or Createx Auto-Air, and really get some interesting colors going. You also get a lot better control, and a lot less overspray and mess.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Pactra is gone, I believe. A few years ago now. The Duratrax stuff is more or less the same formula, it seems. It sure smells and feels the same.

Other spray can options: Rust-Oleum for plastic sticks fairly well to lexan, as long as you avoid the metallic colors, which dry brittle and flake off. Krylon Fusion works as well.

But honestly, you're better off giving up on the rattle cans and getting an airbrush. I have a simple Paasche external-mix single action one that does just fine for painting model cars and RC cars. Then you can use Parma Faskolor, or Createx Auto-Air, and really get some interesting colors going. You also get a lot better control, and a lot less overspray and mess.

The pactra line was re-released, it’s available. 

https://www.amazon.com/Pactra-RC-Paint/s?k=Pactra+RC+Paint

• Like 1

Have you tried Core RC rattle cans. Quite a range of colours. I’ve had good results. Warm the cans shake well and use in a warm environment 

• Like 1

If you have an airbrush, Proline makes PC paint that's supposed to be pretty good.

• Like 1