Sign in to follow this  
whahooo

SRB Balldiff mk2

Hello,

today i fitted a Balldiff mk2 to my Scorcher.

The Indoortest (30sec) worked, but outside it Slipped to the Point where the Scorcher did not even move on pavement.

So how tight do you set a Balldiff?

I hat Balldiffs since the King Cab.

I do not understand how so set them up.

Maybe its bedded in slightly and needs retightening. It shouldnt be slipping that that there isnt any drive.

Im not an expert but tend to just go by feel and probably always tend to over tighten after having issues before on my Ta02 one coming loose a few times

• Like 1

Holding both outdrives, (eg with Allen keys in or something) you should not be able to turn (by hand) the diff. So you tighten the little screw bit by bit until you can’t turn the diff.

see vid here he discusses it at 9mins 45secs in

https://youtu.be/M_u9yKV2TPM?t=549

• Thanks 1

When I first fitted mine (was a few years back,not sure if MK1 or MK2) it backed off on the first run so bad I thought I'd broken it, but tightened it as @CoolHands says and it's been fine since

• Like 1

Plumber's faucet grease could help too.  

We all know how ball diffs behave. With Tamiya ball diff grease, it's basically on or off.  You tighten almost to the point of it snapping, and you back out to find that tiny spot or else it's got no traction.  You have to tighten more if the car is heavier. I've snapped the screw twice on the center diff of TLT-01.  

I was hoping Tamiya changed the formula with DN01 Zahhak. But it was same exact watery grease they've been using in on-road cars for 20+ years.  (I get it. It's cheaper for the corporation to use the same grease for on or off road)  Again, I had to tighten almost at the limit of the tensile strength of the screw.  Since I had a bad experience with TLT-01, I unscrewed it, I wiped the Tamiya ball diff grease clean, and used faucet grease instead. 

Interestingly, I did not have to tighten as much.  You can do about 1/5th of a turn less to get as tight as before.  And there is more room for adjustment. Instead of it being about 10 degrees of useful angle, it's like 20 degrees.  The screw gets a lot less stress.  Faucet grease is designed to stick and not get washed out, even in hot water. Plastic safe too. It's the same kind of silicone grease. Just stickier.  I may still use watery Tamiya ball diff grease for on-road cars.  But for off-roaders?  I'm using faucet grease.  

wiuzJKE.jpg

• Like 1