Flare65

Tamtech cars.....Hornet, Frog, Fox...etc Worth anything?

I think about 10-11 year ago Tamiya came out with the Tamtech line of cars.  I bought a Hornet and ran it about two or three times and kinda forgot about it.  I ended up digging it out of some boxes I had in storage recently.  I don't see much about these cards.  Anyone have one of these?  Are they collectible?  Ebay doesn't show much about them.  I assume parts are rare for them nowadays. 

IMG-1828.jpg

I'm curious too to see what other people's opinions are. I picked up a second hand TamTech Frog a couple of weeks ago, only really missing the body. Had seen them when they came out, but not interested enough to buy one. Searching on eBay showed little parts, but RCMart does have a small selection at very cheap prices. Luckily they also had a Fox body set very cheap.

It seems they were made in a very short run, I'm guessing they didn't sell very well?

I have a new Fox that I bought from Germany (got 2, 1 for me and 1 for @matman) they are fairly desirable and don’t come up very often, the rarest being the 4wd Hotshot. You would have no trouble selling it if you were so inclined. The last NIB I saw was a frog on eBay for over $1k, wouldn’t expect it to sell for that though.

49983371961_81dc82c293_b.jpg

• Like 2

TTG cars are very good runners with hotter motor and oil dampers.   Ball bearings as standard as is a slipper clutch in all chassis. I have all buggy's in my small collection. The GB03 is difficult for finding parts but for the GB01 most parts are can still be found.  So I run my GB01 and 2, the GB03 only for careful demo runs. Wish Tamiya added TTG in the re-release scheme.

1 hour ago, mtbkym01 said:

I have a new Fox that I bought from Germany (got 2, 1 for me and 1 for @matman) they are fairly desirable and don’t come up very often, the rarest being the 4wd Hotshot. You would have no trouble selling it if you were so inclined. The last NIB I saw was a frog on eBay for over $1k, wouldn’t expect it to sell for that though.

49983371961_81dc82c293_b.jpg

Mine is still NIB . WIll not sell and won't take it out of box . Just need to find a NIB fox 1:10 , One day :lol: .

Have you run your's @mtbkym01 ?? .  You can't seem to find the front rims for the fox , i can find rear one's .

Had been looking for years . Found white front's << Boo not wanted haha . 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, matman said:

Mine is still NIB . WIll not sell and won't take it out of box . Just need to find a NIB fox 1:10 , One day :lol: .

Have you run your's @mtbkym01 ?? .  You can't seem to find the front rims for the fox , i can find rear one's .

No not ever run and won’t be, I still have the box so it can be easily repacked too 👍🏻

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, matman said:

front rims for the Fox, last one too, I bought a set and only took two weeks to get here,

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tamiya-40133-TamTech-Gear-GB-01-The-Fox-Mini-Front-Wheels-GB01-NIP/383624568206?hash=item5951ce5d8e:g:mRYAAOSwtG1fB0iS

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

If you don’t buy them @matman, I will 😉

Either of you can buy the set I have, I only bought it to copy and measure so I can machine a set.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here you can have an idea about the complexity of the GB03 chassis. Magic.

The GB01 chassis is more simple but it is my most used runner. With the Graupner Speed motor it is very fast.

GB03 klein.JPG

Latrax damper 2.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

If you don’t buy them @matman, I will 😉

You can , as i'm not in Aus still . Don't want to leave stuff in aus if i'm not there .

So if you get them and i can look at getting the one's of yogi at some point ?. If that's all right Guys ..

Thanks .

• Like 2

I'm on the fence about selling mine.  When I bought it, I purchased the sport tuned motor and extra tires and rims for street/pavement use.  I've only run it three times total.  Still have the original tires and rims and motor (all Unused) and the instructions.  No original box.  I can post more pictures if anyone is interested.  I'm in the US.

1 hour ago, Flare65 said:

I'm on the fence about selling mine.  When I bought it, I purchased the sport tuned motor and extra tires and rims for street/pavement use.  I've only run it three times total.  Still have the original tires and rims and motor (all Unused) and the instructions.  No original box.  I can post more pictures if anyone is interested.  I'm in the US.

yeah, post your pics!

Forgive my ignorance, I'm just starting to learn about these Tamtech cars. Are they 1/10 scale? And actually made by Tamiya, just a different "model series" called "Tamtech Gear"? Looks like a totally new chassis?

They've definitely piqued my curiosity.

I've owned all of the Tam Tech series 1:14 scale at one point.  As mentioned above by No Slack they really come to life with the addition of oil dampers and upgraded power systems.  

All shared an adjustable ball diff, however the diff was made out of plastic and would melt if not adjusted properly.  My my personal favorite (by far) is the GB-02 Buggy Champ.  The trailing arm and pivot ball front suspension works perfectly along with the rest of the chassis to give very stable handling.  I rarely run these but when I do they're always a treat.

TamTechFox.jpg

TamTechBuggyChamp.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/30/2020 at 1:39 PM, yogi-bear said:

yeah, post your pics!

I'll get some more photos up tomorrow.  I'm on the road for work for the next 12 hours.

They are really cool cars but a bit finicky to deal with. I have the Fox and Frog. I’ve hopped the fox up with oil dampers, reedy brushless system and a few other aluminum goodies but my frog is stock. box stock they are super boring but modified is a blast

04.18.15%20061_zpsbnsxkf02.jpg

04.18.15%20058_zpsts7ly1bx.jpg

They share similar chassis to the GT-01 series which I think are way underrated   Here is my 935 with 8000k brushless motor that is way too fast

04.18.15%20045_zpsp2jfua6z.jpg

04.18.15%20043_zpszv8uj4ds.jpg

• Like 3

I'm beginning to wish I'd paid more attention to them when they came out. Do you think they didn't sell very well or where only just a limited production run?

• Like 1

In The Netherlands the TTG range had some succes for a few years. I remember the last stock was sold for 50 to 75 Euro per RTR-set. The range was not limited. Parts are still available for the GB01. The GB02 differs in the front trailing arms but is basically the same. The GB03 is a different chassis and finding parts is more difficult.

TTG series.JPG

• Like 2

On 12/3/2020 at 10:31 PM, yogi-bear said:

I'm beginning to wish I'd paid more attention to them when they came out. Do you think they didn't sell very well or where only just a limited production run?

Same, would love to have got a Rough Rider, Frog, Hornet and Hotshot to go with my Fox

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

Same, would love to have got a Rough Rider, Frog, Hornet and Hotshot to go with my Fox

yeah, I would have collected the lot too. Although at the time I wouldn't have had the money / other priorities. We can only hope that Tamiya re-release these.

• Like 1

I have The Frog, all standard except i believe the motor. Its been sitting on the shelf buried since late 2000s.

I do wish they were still available, as would be great to have both the Hotshot and Fox along side their bigger brethren re-re's.

As others have mentioned, i do remember it being beyond slow and boring out-of-box, but i only bought it for the slight nostalgia nod.

Related, anyone have a good source for GB-01 bodies?  I'm thinking about picking up the Tamtech GB-01 chassis.  I've seen one or two bodies available, but curious if anyone has a source for more of them (specifically hoping for a Frog body).

5 hours ago, Mahjik said:

Related, anyone have a good source for GB-01 bodies?  I'm thinking about picking up the Tamtech GB-01 chassis.  I've seen one or two bodies available, but curious if anyone has a source for more of them (specifically hoping for a Frog body).

I think RCMart still has the Fox body available, but outside of this i haven't seen any other bodies (well GB-01 bodies) for quite some time.