mtbkym01

Carbon look vinyl

Has anyone used the carbon vinyl wrap on their RC’s. I’m thinking a Carbon roof and some other details on my W12 Golf GTI body, but would like to see if it’s been done before and how it looks. I’m concerned the weave will be too large to look “correct” any pics would be great

50623505526_46aeed4e1d_k.jpg

I think it would look too big myself. I should have some off cuts of some the car wrap version I can send you if want. Will look for it when I go in to work today.

• Like 3

Yeah I think so too to be scale. I’m guessing no one has come across a small weave look specifically for RC?

12 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

I’m concerned the weave will be too large to look “correct” any pics would be great

I think the perfectionist in me would steer away from anything that looked too big, in real world, the largest weave I’ve seen is about 20mm, in real world, it looks awful and is difficult to drape Anything other than basic shapes, any joggles and overlaps look terrible, so scale this down you have 2mm wide weave. Anything cosmetically finished in carbon would give you a scale of 0.5mm or less. I’ve seen some for sale from hiroboy in 1/20 and 1/12 scale, of course it depends what they scaled down but perhaps if you contact them they might send you a photo with something to scale it?  I know its a matter of personal taste, but the one pictured from matty, I don’t like, it’s too big and even the thickness of it makes it looks odd.. but then there are plenty of boy racers who do this with vinyl carbon on real cars and perhaps it looks better at distance because too fine a weave you just wouldn’t it ice unless up close.. so I won’t judge. If I read right, you’re doing a roof panel rather than a decorative strip, which is how I think it should be used, function first! Looking forward to see what you come up with!

Random one from hiroboy website:- I think the trade off, is at 3m away it’ll just look black.. so in conclusion.. I’m no help at all.. good luck :)

88CB92BC-3B14-482A-9F3D-39006C10034A.jpeg

• Like 1

ok, have plenty of car wrap carbon fibre. I'll take a pic tomorrow against a car body.  I would have done that tonight, but forgot to take some home :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

this is a proper car carbon fibre wrap vinyl onto a Big Bear bonnet (no Big Bear's were harmed in the application of this vinyl). It is a little large, but I don't mind it so much. What I do like is that it has the proper matt look.

carbon-wrap-1.jpeg

You can get a lot of cheaper vinyls, but they are too glossy, which is probably not terrible, just not my preference.

carbon-wrap-2.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/6/2020 at 7:15 PM, Matty36 said:

I had found that but none available in Australia, and postage from O/S for a sheet is crazy at the moment (your link alone is like £22 shipping :blink:)

might keep it in mind for an o/s order from RCMart or similar

On 12/7/2020 at 10:10 AM, yogi-bear said:

this is a proper car carbon fibre wrap vinyl onto a Big Bear bonnet (no Big Bear's were harmed in the application of this vinyl). It is a little large, but I don't mind it so much. What I do like is that it has the proper matt look.

carbon-wrap-1.jpeg

You can get a lot of cheaper vinyls, but they are too glossy, which is probably not terrible, just not my preference.

carbon-wrap-2.jpeg

I don’t mind that Johann, might look ok on the roof and side vents of the Golf W12 body, cheers for the pics

On 12/6/2020 at 3:40 PM, yogi-bear said:

but they are too glossy

I'm not a high gloss fan either, plus it depends where it's being placed.

fwiw. I think it depends on the context of the model - if you were going for a true scale build, then I'd agree even fine weave 1:1 carbon fibre looks a bit big... but equally on a large panel such as a roof or complete bonnet, I think it works well enough - particularly if you use the proper matt textured stuff as Yogi suggested above - as it essentially fools the eye in that it's what you expect to see, even if the scale [of the weave] is not 'actual scale' if you see what I mean?

I used it on the SRB Cage Racer roof (and also the battery cover tonneau behind the seats) to what I like to think is good effect...

i-ggcM4hL-XL.jpg

And again on the previous iteration of my original Desmond 2.2 crawler bonnet:

i-mtRHhLm-XL.jpg

Admittedly both of those builds above were not 'true scale' in that they still have a slightly cartoonish/obviously RC element to them... however, I also used that same matt carbon on the bonnet of the Baja Blazer too, to give you an idea of how that same size weave might work on a more scale application:

i-VTsRKhr-XL.jpg

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

• Like 4