Sign in to follow this  
Collin

Lockdown Blaster

In the middle of lockdown 2.0 there is a big vaccuum. But today I decided to do something against. Government regulation says you are allowed to go out alone or with people you are living with for physical and psychical regeneration. Running my RC vehicle is definitly psychical regeneration, what else?!

So I will do, there is a huge parking lot 50m from my house. Neighbours will probably hate me if I am going to run my TR-15T there so I took my more or less shabby original Dyna Blaster (the white one) from the shelfe and realized there is no electric installed but dirt tires. Also this Blaster was put together from spare parts which where not perfect for that Shelfies I sold a while ago. Just funny that I feel more happy with a little scratched chassis then a marvelous new one. :D

So this is how it looks until today.

DBS_03.jpg

DB_3_01.jpg

DB_3_02.jpg

DB_3_03.jpg

DB_3_04.jpg

DB_3_05.jpg

DB_3_06.jpg

DB_3_07.jpg

As you can see, its equipet with aftermarked CVDs, some 3D printed parts such as front hubs, bulkhead (ORB) and this front damper stay connectors. I have no real plan now, its just improvisation and taking parts out of my sparebox. The only must-be are tarmac tyres, which I got with another lot of Dyna Blasters a long time ago. Those HPI rims and tires looks so, I dont know the word in english, but very much Need for Speed and Fast & Furious. Very blink blink, no?!

ldb_01.jpg

ldb_02.jpg

As it should be a tarmac runner, suspension will be hard and low, you can spot the Hi-Caps? Better mountet on this Lockdown Blaster then keeping them locked away in the spare box, right? Right!

And carbon! Who sayed carbon? Of course we need carbon! :lol:

The rear damper stay is a prototype leftover from my DB211x conversion, so it will be used instantly. The front one is one of my reshaped TR-15T shocktower, one with some scratches which I cant give to others but perfectly fine for my runner.

ldb_03.jpg

Here we have the PA12 nylon connectors which I made a while ago, they fit so nice like the original ones but slightly stronger. Above its a ORB bulkhead.

ldb_04.jpg

The rear one with a bit of pink. Ampro RC mounts from shapeways. Sadly they are made for shelfmodels which I did not noticed when I bought them. They are pretty hollow and break like matches. But does not matter for now. I will find another solution.

ldb_05.jpg

Now here is the available electrics. A 15x2T Acto-Power, a LRPV10 Spec2 (17x4T) and a Orion Revolution (??T). I should open both of them to check if windings are written on the rotor. usualli it should be, right?

ldb_06.jpg

ESCs are LRP F1-P (13T up) and a hitec SP-520+ (13T up). I have to read the manuals later to check the specs (done), I think I have them somewhere on my computer. The F1 came with the Acto-Power and the hitec from somewhere I cant remember.

ldb_07.jpg

Meanwhile my printer is doing the D1/D2 rear suspension mounts to not risk breaking the original ABS ones. Better keep them for preservation. Anyway I hope this will not end in a desaster with complete re-engineering and aluminum hop-ups, brushless, etc.,  just an easy fun-runner for the next days. Suspension tuning will be done tomorrow. Also a nice rear spoiler would be a blast.

But for now I hope to see a good fight and Iron Mike beating out all sweat from Superman Jones. :ph34r:

Good night and a good fight to all of you.

• Like 7

Looks like it will be a fun runner :)  I don't how how policing is where you are or whether you will get any trouble, I think it's easy to argue in either direction.  Back here in Lockdown 1.0, there was a newspaper article about a man who got fined for running his cars in an empty car park and there were a lot of arguments in both directions.

In between modifications I run my cars up and down the access lane behind my house and I don't feel bad about it, but it's only for 5 minutes at a time and I'm technically not leaving my property at all.  Here in England, Lockdown 2.0 is a bit vague - we're only allowed to go out for exercise and "essential journeys" but the model shops are still open for click-and-collect.  Is it essential that I drive 12 miles into the city centre virus hotspot to pick up a new kit or some paint?  Around my area it doesn't feel like lockdown, there's still traffic on the roads and people walking on the pavements.

Our lockdown officially ends on Wednesday evening but new rules on Thursday make it feel like just another lockdown, however from Thursday onwards as far as I can tell, there is no potential virus-related legal justification for not taking an RC car out, so I'll get back to my woodland crawls and maybe some open-field bashing with a friend :) 

• Like 1

Cool project Tom!:)

Love that Vintage stuff, I also have an LRP F1 somewhere in the cave!:lol:

I may have an idea for your rear body post: Some part from the Vajra made from shiny Aluminum. Could maybe fit, or the design could be copied easily with your new lathe! Will take a phot for you!

Our hobby is really a good way to fight the mental boredom of this Covid thing, as well as my 6 months old daughter.:lol:

Stay healthy and much fun for the new project,

Matthias

2 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Looks like it will be a fun runner :)  I don't how how policing is where you are or whether you will get any trouble, I think it's easy to argue in either direction.  Back here in Lockdown 1.0, there was a newspaper article about a man who got fined for running his cars in an empty car park and there were a lot of arguments in both directions.

In between modifications I run my cars up and down the access lane behind my house and I don't feel bad about it, but it's only for 5 minutes at a time and I'm technically not leaving my property at all.  Here in England, Lockdown 2.0 is a bit vague - we're only allowed to go out for exercise and "essential journeys" but the model shops are still open for click-and-collect.  Is it essential that I drive 12 miles into the city centre virus hotspot to pick up a new kit or some paint?  Around my area it doesn't feel like lockdown, there's still traffic on the roads and people walking on the pavements.

Our lockdown officially ends on Wednesday evening but new rules on Thursday make it feel like just another lockdown, however from Thursday onwards as far as I can tell, there is no potential virus-related legal justification for not taking an RC car out, so I'll get back to my woodland crawls and maybe some open-field bashing with a friend :) 

I life in the center of Vienna. The second Lockdown here is a bit of a joke. Bars, Restaurants and Theaters are closed, most Shops (cloth, and so) also. But still people go out for having a Grog-to-go and still lot of traffic. Most service providing companys still have open, which is good somehow. I could pick up my 3D prints and galvanic coated shafts, things can continue which is important. But I definitly dont care to go out running my Dyna for half an hour and going back home. No one will tell you thats wrong as long you keep distance ans do things alone. People are sick of the whole situation at all.

1 hour ago, ruebiracer said:

Here the link for the body posts:

Tamiya Karosseriehalter (4 Stk.) Vajra #19804504 (tamico.de)

They are screwd directly onto the Carbon braces. I think I have some left from my Vajra kit, at least 2. If you want, I can measure them regarding holes/distances.

Kind regards,

Matthias

I think I will simply make one like the pink one out of aluminum or maybe I have a piece of PU somewhere laying around. Its a good practice on the lathe/mill. Definitly I will not spend a single cent on some new parts on this runner.

• Like 2

Basicly this is it. Its really low and the arms have very short up/down travelling. I am running out of m3 locknuts and m3x25 screws also. The upper damper mounts need to be done propperly. Also the whole geometry need to be set up correctly but thats what I am going to do now.

Also the front bodymounts are to short now, with the damper on the top hole. I will see if I can print a spacer inbetween chassis and bodymount. Should be the easiest.

ldb_08.jpg

ldb_10.jpg

ldb_09.jpg,

ldb_11.jpg

ldb_12.jpg

ldb_13.jpg

ldb_14.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Here the link for the body posts:

Tamiya Karosseriehalter (4 Stk.) Vajra #19804504 (tamico.de)

They are screwd directly onto the Carbon braces. I think I have some left from my Vajra kit, at least 2. If you want, I can measure them regarding holes/distances.

Kind regards,

Matthias

This is how it looks at the end. took me 30 min to machine it. Satisfaction and pure pleasure ; )

Also i needet to re-glue the tyres which is some work I dont really like too much. Finally its the LRP F1-P paired with the LRP V10 (17x4) and a 40AM RX/TX unit. Tomorrow will be the big day, first run at the parking lot. Oleee!

ldb_16.jpg

ldb_15.jpg

• Like 3

DONE! A quick (semi)bulit. Have a look, its sooo much "widescreen" : )

ldb_17.jpg

ldb_18.jpg

ldb_19.jpg

ldb_20.jpg

Definitly all '90 hardware installed, original hi-caps (first version), LRP fires the motor and Futaba connecting driver and race unit : )

Used my last antenna pipe from this flurescent set, yellow fits perfect to the Stadium Thunder decals. The shell came from ebay private sales for very low money, a while ago. I always wanted a white paintet one, you can easy spot it when far away and it looks simply elegant.

Thats it,  i am really wondering how  it will run.  :o

• Like 4

Winter sucks, Lockdown sucks, Vienna sucks... but NOT! I life here since many years and some places you simply dont cross because usually too many tourists and people and you know... dont like too much crowded places.

But this is genious, inside the Museumsquatier (Museums-Complex), the former stables for the Lipizzaner horses back at the Kaisers periode, they transform the fountain to a RC track simply called Winter Race. Its free to use when you have your own vehicle or you pay little fee to lend one for a little time. Its 10 minutes to walk from my home and its just so.... sweeet. :wub:

ldb_21.jpg

ldb_22.jpg

ldb_23.jpg

Dont mind the red/white tape, the signe says its closed because of pandemic. But only officially, it means when you have your own RC its fine, just no events and nothing to rent.

Here is a little clip for you fellas. ;)
https://a-tom.org/tc/mq_ldb_01.mp4

• Like 4

Hi, My name is Tom and I need some help. I always need to modify my original Tamiya and cant simply leave them as they are. :unsure:

I started yesterday evening just to replace some 5mm adjuster for the closed ones with lower friction. The old onew where wobbly anyway, so it wouldt change the substance too much. Whilest doing this I noticed the rear hub has its usual hairline crack arount the ball-connector. So I dug out some nice TR-15T ones for now. Okay, so far the rear end. But when I had most parts disassambeled I noticed how weak the original shocktower looks like. I started the printer and printed white PU filament, which is my #1 in the moment. Also the suspension mounts got replaced with PU ones. Looks all brilliant with the white body.

ldb_24.jpg

ldb_28.jpg

Here is a little clip of the print process. Simply satisfying to watch. https://a-tom.org/tc/prusa_01.mp4

And of course when I replace some adjuster here, then also there. So I went through the front suspension, replaced them and could not hold me back. Steering arms are TR-15T now, Kickup got replaced with a kydex one, a 3D printed front bumper and a modified carbon upper deck instead of the plastic one. It needs some trim and cut and file here and there and a spacer of 2.5mm also but I will do that in my workshop tomorrow with some propper gears.

ldb_25.jpg

ldb_26.jpg

• Like 1

Scrolled down the Pictures an thought "hey, that looks just like vienna" :D

Nice to see another Member from Austria. I thought there is no RCing here in Austria anymore (compared to UK and America and Asia).

There is a Buggybahn in Simmering, a flattrack in Vösendorf and Wr. Neustadt, also Buggybahn in Mannswörth If I remember right. Riederberg is abandoned meanwhile and Stockerau, I dont know. Robitronic is running a carpet indoor flattrack and there have been competitions at Arena. I am member in Tulln. This little track at MQ is already there since over 10years every winter.

Sadly there is not much going on with vintage rc racing and the other tracks are mainly newschool Mugen/XRay driver.

But you are right, feels a bit like riding a death horse : /

Today I did the front carbon fibre brace, its a repro of the Dyna Storm one which needed to be cut. I am very satisfied with the result. Everything I used where spare parts or some prototype parts from testing. Never throw away a bit which seems not to be perfect in the moment, you never know where you will need it.

ldb_29.jpg

ldb_30.jpg

Kydex kickup is inside the chassis, above a carbon fibre spacer plate to lift up the steering poles a bit. Under the rear mounts I put the cutted off ends of the brace as a spacer, no spacer at the bulkhead needed. Its always a bit tricky to bring this three major screwings into one level. Also I think this selfmade kickup is not exaclty 30° angle, obviously a bit less. I needed to extend the front longholes for about 2mm, now everything fits like a charme and nothing moves wehen I bend the car up and down with both hands. 

Last litte details, filling up the chassis cutout at the steering servo side (pics at the top posting) and replacing the upper damper mounts. I will do som alloy nuts like the Dyna Storm has it. Maybe some more decals on the chassis but just a tiny little more.

That was it, wasnt it? :ph34r:

• Like 3

I didn`t knew about the Track at the Meseumsquartier even if i live nearby.

I do know the Track in Simmering, Gföhl, Gablitz and Tulln, but they are all Clubtracks and are not made for Tamiya ones.

Also i`m super shy, do not want to be in a club and a little bit ignorant.

I live in the 15th District and in the Countryside near Tulln - since a few years i`m haunted by the Vision to build a free to use "scale RC Track" without high Jumps.

• Like 2

Go for it! The present Buggytracks are a bit too extreme for standard Tamiya chassis, a soft version would be a dream!

• Like 1

Question about a Dyna Blaster lover : ( Box Art ) 

The body normally is paint into PS6 Yellow and PS15 Red Mettalic. 

We are agreed, that fading stickers are from Yellow to Orange. ( not trying to fade from PS-6 to PS15 ) 

That a question due to my management to replicate the Dyna Blaster bodyshell on truck bodyshell ( from Stadium Blitzer/Rock Socker ). I want to make the fading stickers with some masks, and i need to know from which color to which color. 

Thanks in advance. 

Cheers 

Charles

@Collin:I am tinkering around with my runner Dyna Blaster and now thought about using tire inserts.

Do use inserts for your track runs?

16 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

@Collin:I am tinkering around with my runner Dyna Blaster and now thought about using tire inserts.

Do use inserts for your track runs?

I got this HPI tires as they are, but it feels pretty much like there is foam inside. Hope this helps you.

In facts its HPI rims with Pro-Line Road Hawg II 2.2″. On my TR-15T I use HPI Racing 4450 Truck V-Profil Pro Compound 2.2 tyres. Both are very nice for tarmac.