Mrowka

2WD differentials In The Time Of COVID

Long story short, I am in quarantine for at least the next ten days. To keep myself occupied, I am planning to rebuild the transmission on my Fox and build an Ultima re re. 

Since the Fox doesn't have a sealed differential, I am planning to use some 15K differential grease that I have lying around.

The Ultima can get either 15K or 7K differential fluid.

Fox will be using a 20T brushed setup, the Ultima I haven't decided, but probably around 13.5 or 17.5T HW. Both will be bashers, running on rough backyard tracks and the like.

Now for The $10.99 Question: should I use a different weight of fluid in either car? I am placing an order with AMain today.

The Ultima will use silicone oil in a sealed unit, whilst the Fox will be a grease?

I'd go with the 15k in the Ultima, for lower grip tracks or the 7k for high grip.

The fox will be more hit of miss (with trial and error with the dt03 anyway).

• Thanks 1

Silicone fluid of any weight will leak out of an unsealed diff. Putty is too stiff for off road. I'm guessing that the best bet for the Fox is going to be stiff, tacky grease.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

The Ultima will use silicone oil in a sealed unit, whilst the Fox will be a grease?

Correct.

12 hours ago, Big Jon said:

Silicone fluid of any weight will leak out of an unsealed diff. Putty is too stiff for off road. I'm guessing that the best bet for the Fox is going to be stiff, tacky grease.

The Fox will be getting grease. The Ultima has a sealed diff that will get fluid.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 10:31 AM, Mrowka said:

The Fox will be getting grease. The Ultima has a sealed diff that will get fluid.

I have yet to try this ( or know if it is safe for plastics ) but Lucas oil in the States makes a very tacky waterproof lube for the 5th wheel hitch on trailers. 
I think this might be an excellent thick grease assuming it is safe for plastics 

• Thanks 1